Deagostini Falcon. Anyone seen this?

I have to agree with celticwarrior, there is a lot about this model that isn't worth the money but at the moment it seems like the best option available. I will say that if bandai does a large scale falcon I think a lot of people might drop out.

I don't think bandai will come out with a large scale MF, well not in studio scale anyway. There seems to be more of an interest with them making giant Perfect Grade Gundam robots.

Expectations for a $1600 dollar model are reasonably high. I don't expect perfect but from the pictures I've seen they put very little effort into the interior. It looks more like a 40 dollar hasbro interior then a replica, they couldn't even get the bench right. I think if fine molds had made a 1/48th falcon most of us wouldn't be so excited about this. I'm only 4 issues in but haven't done anything because I can't decide on how much I want to alter/fix, not a problem I should have on a $1600 model.

Pics of these cheap looking parts would help a lot, because opinions about parts that have not been out yet as well as opinions of people that have not yet received or actually even touch any of the parts seems a bit of a stretch. So far pics of the model look very good and anyone waiting on a perfect model right out of the box need to put their feet on solid ground. Even the MR Falcon who now so many carve for had a lot of inconsistencies and a bad painting job but just look the prices of them on Ebay.

Hey Joe... Right now from what I've seen of the interior parts that HAVE been released (you do know that in the UK they are up to issues 14-15), the only things I would want to replace and/or fix/scratch so far are: The rear cockpit seats, the front console, the back cockpit wall, the interior nav console, the floor decking and maybe the bed above the seats. But then again, I've got OCD and am a perfectionist. The exterior looks incredible. But then again it would since it is being produced off a direct scan of the original model. The interior was never made for the MR Falcon (except a crude cockpit) so all the interior stuff is basically just conjecture on the part of the model makers, so I can understand how the interior (even though it's not perfect to the movie) looks the way it does. I think they tried to make it close to the movie in general, but had to sacrifice detail for ease of building for those that put it together (seeing as many people that have bought this so far have no modeling experience whatsoever). Personally, I am going to enjoy the fact that there are little flaws like this. Makes it alot more fun to accurize and make it look perfect for myself, but then again I've been building and accurizing models since I was 8 years old (yes I'm so old my birthday has Roman Numerals in it). However, anyone building this model will be able to add their own unique flair to it, and even if you've never built a model before, you'll end up with something that will be truly amazing when it's done. I'm truly excited about this. You don't have to buy the printed parts if you don't want to. The parts that come with the kit are perfectly acceptable. The question you just have to ask yourself is just how detailed do you want your kit to be? If you want it completely accurate you can scratch build the pieces yourself, if you have the talent to do so. I know the back cockpit seats can be "modified" from what they are now into something that looks totally accurate to the movie. You just gotta know what you're capable of and how much time and effort you want to put into your build. Tony's Shapeways parts are amazingly accurate to the movie. But then again he's put in alot of time and research into making them so for all the previous iterations of the Falcon (The AMT, Fine Molds, Hasbro, etc). Each of those are in different scales but the nice thing about making a 3D model part is that it can be scaled easily to any other size (unless of course you get too small for it to be printed then you're outta luck). Personally I think it's amazing the amount of research and patience that have gone into something like this. Did you know that it's only been recently that we have discovered the actual scale of the the Falcon kits? It's true. They didn't even know the proper size of the full size Falcon when they built it for the movie. They just had to make sure that it fit into the sound stage. but due to the exhaustive efforts of one man (and a little help from his friends) by the name of Robert Brown, we now know that the actual size of the Falcon is 114' feet from front the back. Which means that now we know that this Falcon is 1:43 scale of the original Falcon (if you took 43 of this falcon and laid them end to end you'd have the length of the full size falcon). It's amazing that it actually took close to 20 years to determine what the length was by calculating the size and taking into consideration the sets that were built. But now we know and it's a glorious time for Star Wars fans everywhere and I am more then giddy and happy to be a part of it! :)

Pics can be of help so anyone can make a decision based in something more concrete and factual than just an opinion.

So reading that, if I post pics and you think their ok my opinion is redundant? Even though I have the parts in front of me and have spent hours and hours of modding it?

This is not a £1000 model kit....In my opinion of course, those who haven't got it / seen it in the flesh/ started it yet can feel free to beg to differ.

Ive received the parts as have loads of UK subscribers/buyers. If your not subscribing 14 is out and 15 later this week in the UK. How its a bit of a stretch when ive got the inhand items is beyond me.
The falcon will look good if you spend a small fortune on aftermarket parts and spend alot of time painting it etc but out of the box , for the money and in my opinion (based on what ive got) its not worth the cash.
As for you saying the model looks really good theres little to no finished pics out there.

I believe anyone who thinks a model is going to look really good just building it straight out of the box is going to be disappointed. I mean there is nothing wrong building it straight out of the box but there is no way a factory will ever be able to match the skills of an experienced model painter. I have been building models off and on for 40 years (started when I was 8) and models just need to painted to have a really authentic look. Even the MR Falcon (of which I once owned two) had it's paint issues: overpainting, heavy weathering, no ovespray, etc., etc. The only thing paint-wise that is going to make this really look like the original studio scale model is to have an experienced modeller who is an artist paint it.

Hey Joe... Right now from what I've seen of the interior parts that HAVE been released (you do know that in the UK they are up to issues 14-15), the only things I would want to replace and/or fix/scratch so far are: The rear cockpit seats, the front console, the back cockpit wall, the interior nav console, the floor decking and maybe the bed above the seats. But then again, I've got OCD and am a perfectionist. The exterior looks incredible. But then again it would since it is being produced off a direct scan of the original model. The interior was never made for the MR Falcon (except a crude cockpit) so all the interior stuff is basically just conjecture on the part of the model makers, so I can understand how the interior (even though it's not perfect to the movie) looks the way it does. I think they tried to make it close to the movie in general, but had to sacrifice detail for ease of building for those that put it together (seeing as many people that have bought this so far have no modeling experience whatsoever). Personally, I am going to enjoy the fact that there are little flaws like this. Makes it alot more fun to accurize and make it look perfect for myself, but then again I've been building and accurizing models since I was 8 years old (yes I'm so old my birthday has Roman Numerals in it). However, anyone building this model will be able to add their own unique flair to it, and even if you've never built a model before, you'll end up with something that will be truly amazing when it's done. I'm truly excited about this. You don't have to buy the printed parts if you don't want to. The parts that come with the kit are perfectly acceptable. The question you just have to ask yourself is just how detailed do you want your kit to be? If you want it completely accurate you can scratch build the pieces yourself, if you have the talent to do so. I know the back cockpit seats can be "modified" from what they are now into something that looks totally accurate to the movie. You just gotta know what you're capable of and how much time and effort you want to put into your build. Tony's Shapeways parts are amazingly accurate to the movie. But then again he's put in alot of time and research into making them so for all the previous iterations of the Falcon (The AMT, Fine Molds, Hasbro, etc). Each of those are in different scales but the nice thing about making a 3D model part is that it can be scaled easily to any other size (unless of course you get too small for it to be printed then you're outta luck). Personally I think it's amazing the amount of research and patience that have gone into something like this. Did you know that it's only been recently that we have discovered the actual scale of the the Falcon kits? It's true. They didn't even know the proper size of the full size Falcon when they built it for the movie. They just had to make sure that it fit into the sound stage. but due to the exhaustive efforts of one man (and a little help from his friends) by the name of Robert Brown, we now know that the actual size of the Falcon is 114' feet from front the back. Which means that now we know that this Falcon is 1:43 scale of the original Falcon (if you took 43 of this falcon and laid them end to end you'd have the length of the full size falcon). It's amazing that it actually took close to 20 years to determine what the length was by calculating the size and taking into consideration the sets that were built. But now we know and it's a glorious time for Star Wars fans everywhere and I am more then giddy and happy to be a part of it! :)

Preaching to the choir my man!!! I know that I will be scatchbuilding some parts for that interior! Specially for the guts of the interior not so the cockpit (where I will get some aftermarket parts). The fiber optics will need to be also. Building and customizing are more part much part of the fun as just to own it, IMO.

So reading that, if I post pics and you think their ok my opinion is redundant? Even though I have the parts in front of me and have spent hours and hours of modding it?

This is not a £1000 model kit....In my opinion of course, those who haven't got it / seen it in the flesh/ started it yet can feel free to beg to differ.

You are taking the issue personally, beats me why. Taking pics of it would help others to reach their own conclusion, plain and simple. If they are as bad as you say then you would be helping a lot of people.

I live in London and I cant wait for the next issue to come out on Wednesday is 13 so who are you and where do you live to get your hands on advanced parts, because I have been getting these parts from the first week. your comments make me suspicious and wonder if you live in the UK at all . enjoy it for what it is and its the best thing going rite now!

Last edited:
Just for the record Im not taking it personally, I offered my opinion on what Ive received and why ive serious misgivings on continuing the build and I stand by them. Obviously its not what some people wanted to hear. Im not trying to put anyone off buying it or building it as I said originally ill look forward to what people do with it.

- - - Updated - - -

I live in London and I cant wait for the next issue to come out on Wednesday is 13 so who are you and where do you live to get your hands on advanced parts, because I have been getting these parts from the first week. your comments make me suspicious and wonder if you live in the UK at all . enjoy it for what it is and its the best thing going rite now!

LOL. You caught me out, i dont live in the UK at all........:lol
Subscribers got it on the weekend up to 13 with a free Han Solo figure. Go look on the Deago forums and you'll see issue 14.
image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

^^Plot thickens?

Dont be a fool.

Wanted to hear? In this day and age of technical marvels and advancements something as simple as a picture would help, not only me, but others see for themselves the quality, look etc of these parts. Perhaps you got involved to hastily into it and realize you can not continue spending the money? Nothing wrong about it, we all have done it from time to time. If you stand behind your arguments then why the runaround about something as simple as a pic?

- - - Updated - - -

Just for the record Im not taking it personally, I offered my opinion on what Ive received and why ive serious misgivings on continuing the build and I stand by them. Obviously its not what some people wanted to hear. Im not trying to put anyone off buying it or building it as I said originally ill look forward to what people do with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Subscribers got it on the weekend up to 13 with a free Han Solo figure. Go look on the Deago forums and you'll see issue 14.
View attachment 458089

- - - Updated - - -

Dont be a fool.

Dont call names....so far we ALL have been respectful. Perhaps you have nothing more to say. As long as there is no pic sustaining you claims I will not take you seriously.

Because an ipad picture is worthless as my pic above shows. Go on the deago forums if you want pics of the hull issues..........and you forgot to say 'please'.

You are a troll, convinced now. Nothing more factual than a badly taken pic on purpose to prove your point. huh?

This pic was taken with my Samsyng Galaxy Note 3...under my work light at night. I dont know but it shows the subject pretty well...right? Please....just let the guys who take this seriously continue with the thread.

20150321_003554 by nenekinkin, on Flickr

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 458089

- - - Updated - - -

Dont be a fool.
as a subscriber the best you could do is issue 14 and the hansolo. 15 wont be received for another 3 weeks so what country do you live in as it is my under standing that the uk got it first and from your picks i only see issue 13 with a prevew of 14 but it is nice to see what is coming out with next issues

Last edited:
A troll for saying Im not happy with what ive just received??? Yet you havent even had an issue yet, have you heard yourself?
Your comparison with an ipad 2 and a galaxy note is mute. Ive shown how bad my photos come out if you look a few posts up.

Preaching to the choir my man!!! I know that I will be scatchbuilding some parts for that interior! Specially for the guts of the interior not so the cockpit (where I will get some aftermarket parts). The fiber optics will need to be also. Building and customizing are more part much part of the fun as just to own it, IMO.

AMEN... If I just wanted a Falcon I would have bought a MR when it was out. At least with this one I can build it myself and actually accomplish something! Not to mention modify to my liking! If you don't like the kit, don't buy it... it's that simple. This kit in my opinion is a Holy Grail model. Its the kind of model I've been looking for my whole life and now it's finally here! There's no way I'm missing out on it!

A troll for saying Im not happy with what ive just received??? Yet you havent even had an issue yet, have you heard yourself?
Your comparison with an ipad 2 and a galaxy note is mute. Ive shown how bad my photos come out if you look a few posts up.

The only thing mute here is your argument. Have a good day.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back