Deagostini Falcon. Anyone seen this?

I got to looking a little closer at the master replicas model and besides the panel colors and shading which i think will be the easy part as far as I can tell their are about 3 or 4 technics used like the streaking, airbrushing ( which there is a lot of on it), scraping on the some of the colored panels. Id like for mine resemble the studio but if I can get it looking close to the MR which is far from arcuate as far as the paint job goes in my opinion I'm pretty sure I'll be happy. It's going to hard enough waiting till I'm finished completely before I star painting it. A year and a half, by then I hope to have learned enough and practiced enough to make decent looking falcon :)

Last edited:
i'm not a studio scale guru by any means (this is my first one) but even i can tell that the details resemble the kit parts used.

it is in no way or will never be screen accurate.

with a good paint job and some extra detailing this could be a very nice piece.

built straight from the packets and assembled this will be a BIG let down for many people.

I think that many people are forgetting that the DeAgostini Falcon has always been advertised as a model kit, and not a high end collectible. As with almost any kit, If you just put it together straight out of the box with no additional painting or detailing you will get, just that, an assembled model kit, indistinguishable from the hundreds of others. It's up to the builder to make it special,

DeAg has gone above that would normally be expected to update and revise parts that were inaccurate but I would in no way expect them to fix everything that people have a problem with. Hopefully as they do other Star Ways releases they will get even better, they certainly are becoming aware of what a particular and critical bunch we can be! I for one am very happy with their Falcon. 99.99(999)% of the people that ever see it will not know (or care) if a particular panel doesn't have the just right notching or a particular nernie is incorrect.

99.99(999)% of the people that ever see it will not know (or care) if a particular panel doesn't have the just right notching or a particular nernie is incorrect.

I totally agree with the above statement,

as for them advertising it as a "model kit" i don't really agree with that point (even thought it is)

the price alone would separate this from any "mainstream kit" surely and would be called a high end collectible in my opinion.

i was very surprised they are reissuing revised parts i must say. i personally would not be happy with this piece built from the packets

the only reason i continue to subscribe is i know i have the skill to make it something i want to own.

i do feel sorry for the people that will only build it from the packets and are expecting it to look like whats on screen.

but its their money and they can do what ever they like.

i do feel sorry for the people that will only build it from the packets and are expecting it to look like whats on screen.

or the photos of the Falcon on the DeAg website as those are of the prototype and/or MR hybrid. We still don't know exactly what we're going to get in the end. Of course, the box art for most model kits is an artist's rendering and not of the actual model.

or the photos of the Falcon on the DeAg website as those are of the prototype and/or MR hybrid. We still don't know exactly what we're going to get in the end. Of course, the box art for most model kits is an artist's rendering and not of the actual model.

even with the little we have, i can already tell its gonna be far (maybe far is too harsh) from what folks would want/expect, i am quite prepared to be proved wrong and apologize, but i feel i have seen enough.

i do commend deagostini for even attempting this, there must have been many many simpler subjects to choose from.
i also think they have been taken by surprise at the amount and levels of complaints with the inaccurate parts, good on them for listening though.

the amount of add on parts that will be available from other suppliers will make a big difference such as the photo etched stuff.
i'm not buying any extras until i'm ready to build.

I think everyone would love perfect but I don't think a manufactured kit will ever be perfect. I will say that I'm surprised at the number of parts that look like they are going to be molded. I just finished the fine molds falcon that sat in my closet for 6 years and most of that was a blank slate. Still, as a few have mentioned it will be the paint job that really sells it. I'm hoping that the video series goes into far more detail that part 2 did and that the reference photos fill in the rest. I want the exact ratios for the paint mixes, lol. I'm hoping to really take the paint job that I did on the fine molds to the next level.
FullSizeRender(1).jpgFullSizeRender.jpg

Just got shipment 6. Number 7 should be here by the end of the week. Anyone else getting progressively worse box condition upon delivery. It's almost like no one cares anymore when they are paid to get a package safely to your home. The delivery girl was seriously pissed when I asked her to wait while i opened and inspected the package. She claims (UPS) is not responsible to a degree for damaged items. I told her they damn well were as it didn't leave the warehouse like that!

Just got shipment 6. Number 7 should be here by the end of the week. Anyone else getting progressively worse box condition upon delivery. It's almost like no one cares anymore when they are paid to get a package safely to your home. The delivery girl was seriously pissed when I asked her to wait while i opened and inspected the package. She claims (UPS) is not responsible to a degree for damaged items. I told her they damn well were as it didn't leave the warehouse like that!

I am having the same problem. They were arriving in perfect shape, now trashed. So far the contents have not been damaged, which amazes me. I wish they were still being double boxed.

Tom

Ditto on the boxes. Mine came smashed last week. The contents in fine shape. I kinda wish they put the magazines in a Mylar bag with a cardboard backer. I haven't been following this or that about it. I'm on my 7th shipment.they take my money and I get it. That's all lol. What's this about inaccurate parts, new parts. Are we getting parts replaced or do we have to pay extra for these?

My boxes have been smashed recently as well, with no damage to the parts, surprisingly. Is there someone out there in the shipping business with a particular hatred for this project?

Got my 3rd shipment today.

The first two boxes were pristine. This one (9-12) was half crushed and open.

It looked as if someone had broken into it to rummage around or take something, but so far as I can tell, everything is there.

I find splatter tough to judge. I've used it in watercolor and it isn't intended to hold up scrutiny. At two or three feet it provides texture. I'm not saying he didn't but the custom falcon that he put up for sale some time ago looks about the same. Then again, I've never seen the 2 footer in person so what do I know...

I think everyone would love perfect but I don't think a manufactured kit will ever be perfect. I will say that I'm surprised at the number of parts that look like they are going to be molded. I just finished the fine molds falcon that sat in my closet for 6 years and most of that was a blank slate. Still, as a few have mentioned it will be the paint job that really sells it. I'm hoping that the video series goes into far more detail that part 2 did and that the reference photos fill in the rest. I want the exact ratios for the paint mixes, lol. I'm hoping to really take the paint job that I did on the fine molds to the next level.
View attachment 527817View attachment 527818
Looks really nice!

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

I am having the same problem. They were arriving in perfect shape, now trashed. So far the contents have not been damaged, which amazes me. I wish they were still being double boxed.

Tom

Ditto, same here. My last shipment #7 was smashed, and the parts for issue 28 missing. Still waiting on my replacement set.

I find splatter tough to judge. I've used it in watercolor and it isn't intended to hold up scrutiny. At two or three feet it provides texture. I'm not saying he didn't but the custom falcon that he put up for sale some time ago looks about the same. Then again, I've never seen the 2 footer in person so what do I know...
Have a look at the original, yes it has splatter but nowhere near as heavy as his. It's supposed to be subtle, not like this. Looks like it was applied with garden hose.

Have a look at the original, yes it has splatter but nowhere near as heavy as his. It's supposed to be subtle, not like this. Looks like it was applied with garden hose.

I agree. If you look at his custom MR sold and this one it's way, way overdone.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back