Limited Run DaveP's Obi Static Parts Run 2022/23 (Sign-Up Closed)

My apologies if it's been stated, but will the Armitage shanks handwheel be chrome-plated plastic per the original, or chromed aluminum?

Personally, I LOVE the idea of having a balance pipe made of Inconel, but I don't think I'd actually want a plastic pommel, accurate though it may be. I think I'd prefer it to be chromed aluminum.

Interested!
That's awesome. Thank you. Just getting the list up to date now after a couple of days away.
My apologies if it's been stated, but will the Armitage shanks handwheel be chrome-plated plastic per the original, or chromed aluminum?

Personally, I LOVE the idea of having a balance pipe made of Inconel, but I don't think I'd actually want a plastic pommel, accurate though it may be. I think I'd prefer it to be chromed aluminum.
So the general idea for this run is to get as close to accurate as possible, including the materials.

There are a couple of things to mention with regards to the pommel though. The cap is absent from the prop. This is evident in the Tunisia images, and is to be expected. Real world lettering was avoided by the props department or covered at the very least. It made sense to simply leave this part off.

For this reason, I was considering a plain cap for a number of reasons. Firstly, it shouldn't be included on the prop at any rate, so would be an extra/optional part at any rate. Secondly, although it is a discontinued design, Armitage Shanks is still a registered trade mark, so would like to avoid any issues there if possible! Thirdly, I thought it might look cool, and set it apart from other identical replicas that are already available.

As for the material... I do like the idea of a metal pommel. This was my original plan when I first decided to do a static Obi run back in 2019. Originally, I liked the idea of electro polished stainless steel. This would have a nice weight to it, and wouldn't need to be plated.

I still really like this idea and would love to know what people thought.

Personally, I have a real handwheel for my real parts build, so I'm happy to take a little direction on this, and if people prefer to deviate from the acrylic option, I'm happy to do that.

The other option for metal pommel would be chrome plating. If we did go down this route, my preferred metal would be brass. This is what the metal part of the vintage handwheel is made from, so it would make sense to manufacture the others from the same material I think.

Again. Happy to hear people's thoughts on this.

DannyP91 sold me your motorised OWK V2 today, and I don’t think I can stomach missing this one.

So looks like I’m back to saber collecting ‍♂️

On the list please ..
Thanks so much Dan! I'll get the list updated now. Hope you're enjoying your new Obi Stunt :)
Interested
Thanks so much. I'll get the list updated now. Cheers,
Put me in... Also, the Armitage will have the logos on it? And the clamp?
That's great, thank you. I'll get the list updated now.

As I said above. I'm considering leaving the H/C off the pommel cap. The cap was left off the prop (I believe this was deliberate decision to avoid the real-world lettering).

The clamp had it's logo covered with chrome tape, but I'll be including that non the less.

I've allowed myself a little artistic license with the pommel cap on account of it being an optional addition, that should be left off for 100% accuracy.

Thanks again for your interest. I'll get the list updated now.
Interested in a complete hilt! Please add me to the list
Thank you. :) I'll get the list updated now

I've had a couple of days away from home, but just on the train back now and catching up on messages.

Thank you to everyone for your interest in this run!

Looking forward to sharing some model previews this week! :D

Personally, I would prefer no lettering of any kind, pommel, clamp, windwane, etc.

An idealized metal pommel would be my preference as well.

As for the material... I do like the idea of a metal pommel. This was my original plan when I first decided to do a static Obi run back in 2019. Originally, I liked the idea of electro polished stainless steel. This would have a nice weight to it, and wouldn't need to be plated.
I like this idea

If accuracy is the name of the game, my vote would be for an acrylic pommel. I do appreciate the desire for idealized parts and I sometimes share in that desire myself on certain props but to be so accurate on this one with the balance pipe only to not go accurate on the pommel material I think would be a misstep.

All the parts will be available separately, or as a fully built replica in either Chronicles or Tunisia configuration.

For me this includes the cap. I personally dislike the Tunesia configuration and I don’t think the cap was off on every prop. Thus, this should be included. I get your point with the trademark, but there would be something missing - at least for me.

As for the materials: I thought the difference between this run and all the other Obi sabers available is the accuracy - be it for the measurements, the details and for the materials. That‘s why I jumped on the interest list. It would really be a downer for me if all the lettering is left aside (wind vane, clamp, pommel).

If possible perhaps consider offering both an acrylic and metal version of the pommel? If you did I would prefer to purchase both pommels so that I could switch between them if I ever wanted to for whatever reason. If one option had to be chosen over the other I'd prefer acrylic simply because part of what sets your props apart from others is level of accuracy not only in detail but in materials. IMHO.

Last edited:
Exactly. The attraction of this run is the potential accuracy of the parts, including the materials used. Switching materials and removing lettering would be akin to making it compatible for FX.
There are some who prefer 'in universe' replicas vs. strict prop replicas. In other words, all authentic materials but without the real world lettering. I wouldn't equate that to making changes to accommodate electronics. I think this run can work for both perspectives though. However it proceeds Dave will make it phenomenal.

It is my understanding that this isn't a run for a "in-universe" replica. This is supposed to be a run for replicas of the original parts which could be mistaken for the real thing, lettering and material alike. If not, I'm not interested. Like I already said parts for "in-universe" props are readily available and don't interest me in the least. Replicas of parts that are either impossible to find or prohibitively expensive to acquire do.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back