Limited Run DaveP's Obi Static Parts Run 2022/23 (Sign-Up Closed)

DaveP

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello there!

Hello there.gif

Welcome to the production thread for my current Obi Static run, which will be kicking off in February (2023) after a long and in-depth development process.

Most of 2022 was spent painstakingly researching the "belt-hanger" prop which was used by Sir Alec Guinness in the original SW movie. It was a long and fascinating journey which ended up going far more in-depth than I had anticipated.

COLOURISED copy.jpg

Every aspect of each and every piece has been explored, to bring you what I hope will be an incredibly close representation of the original prop.

As always, I am aiming for as close to 100% accuracy as possible, right down to the materials and finishes which were used to create the vintage parts.

It has sparked countless discussions and introduced me to some fascinating people, who have been kind enough to share their knowledge and experience and helped to uncover some of the lesser-known aspects of some of the parts. A big shout out to everyone who has helped to make this happen, from long time RPF members (you know who you are ), to Veteran RR engineers and Heritage Trust members, and even a knight of the realm and land-speed-record holder! No stone has been left unturned!

The initial models were made by meticulously referencing original vintage parts (very kindly provided by DannyP91).

OL_4.jpg
OL_2.jpg

OL_3.jpg
OL_1.jpg

These were then aligned with reference images and fine-tuned to capture any subtle details unique to those parts used on the original prop:

FINAL OVERLAY 800.jpg

PAN.jpg

3.jpg
01.jpg

4.jpg
2.jpg

High poly models were also made to create realistic visualisations of how the finished prop might look once weathered, and to show how everything fits together (these were made prior to the final production models):

HP1.jpg
HP2.jpg

HP3.jpg
HP4.jpg

HP66.jpg

HP5.jpg

Production is now very nearly finished with most of the parts having arrived already. (y)

PXL_20230413_105903955 copy.jpg

GRENADES.jpg

STANDS.jpg

COMPARISONS copy.jpg

EMITTER VIEW.jpg

All places on the run have now been taken, with some orders of individual parts having been sent out to their new homes.

I'm currently preparing un-weathered orders for the arrival of the last remaining parts.

I'm also making preparations for weathering commissions which will be keeping me busy over the next few weeks!

This is the current status of the run for those taking part:

PARTIAL ORDERS (No Clamp/Handwheel):

NAME:ORDER STATUS:
v312SENT
CWOODREPLICASSENT
thd9791SENT
NagorbArtSENT
Remote PeopleSENT
JoeGSENT
RedbuttonSENT
cphaengSENT
Anakin StarkillerSENT
Diego86SENT
MarvSENT

UN-WEATHERED ORDERS:

teecroozSENT
DannyP91SENT
Mr Mold MakerSENT
The SweatshopSENT
PrinceZipSENT
djediSENT
Mech10SENT
moffeatonSENT
APOLLO INDSENT
PoopapapapalpsSENT
LukeBespin1975SENT
acyangSENT
sbeallSENT
eethanSENT
AisonSENT
IronDestinyPropsSENT
SaberzSENT
OgibendogySENT
Andreas LaubeSENT
DanvaderSENT
Shaun PattersonSENT
Jawajawa827SENT
BRRogersSENT
SohoSENT
VentuoguySENT

WEATHERING COMMISSIONS - BATCH ONE:

DewySENT
ggriffawSENT
mrwaxSENT
nailujSENT
EruonenSENT
RebelSpy007SENT
dramukv (Insta)SENT
Tjnitro18SENT
SteuerEuleSENT
nemesis1974SENT
Brett BannerSENT
CJPx01SENT
ChrisRodeSENT
JetSetWillySENT
BarnstormerSENT
Foe HammerSENT
propfactorySENT
smdwilliamsSENT
 Marco (FB)SENT
ScourgiousJinxSENT
Fire BirdSENT
rustypanelSENT
filandriusSENT
IvuchanSENT
MasefieldSENT
DarthWilderSENT
JedifatherSENT
Mo KB (FB) SENT

WEATHERING COMMISSIONS - BATCH TWO:

cdyoungSENT
RonSENT
ReploidRXSENT
commodorekornsSENT
memphisjediSENT
Martin SabersSENT
nashSENT
Blue milkSENT
NCC1027SENT
victory201SENT
NickClineSENT
Darth NapsterSENT
Daphne (FB)SENT
dcartySENT
ventuoguySENT
JagjaguwarSENT
ObiShaneSENT
CHS3CELLSENT
roygilsingSENT
MrobbSENT
Kawik (FB)SENT
Willis Faucher FBSENT
Jason_E SENT
JoeSheepSENT
junREADY TO SHIP
Luke MoonwalkerSENT
DJTedMoneySENT

WEATHERING COMMISSIONS - BATCH THREE

Chris StallardSENT
RockbottomSENT
r2p2READY TO SHIP
Christian-Alexander Ghoelz (FB)SENT
Daniel SczudlikSENT
Gareth Hall (FB)SENT
Luke David Kellett (FB)SENT
Stephan Hammel (Via C-A.G)SENT
Sni9erSENT
Derek PieperSENT
Rick Dalton (FB)SENT
JuvatwadSENT
JawakillaSENT
shabadSENT
marker2037SENT
Brodie53SENT
MartinokenobiREADY TO SHIP
GregJCSENT
ShinobiSENT
InfernoredSENT
David Waeselynck (INSTA)SENT
JediwannabeSENT
realcharksSENT
KompisSENT
BobasfettSENT
Darth ViniciusSENT
14trharrisSENT
AVERYSENT
skoota73SENT

The list order is based on the original sign up list, except for where people have specifically asked to be moved in to batch two.

**Please do bare in mind that work is being done across all three batches of commissions.**

Un-weathered orders are very nearly ready to go and are basically awaiting the last couple of parts, so work has now officially begun on weathering commissions (y)

Shipping:

A second invoice for Shipping will be sent out once the parts have arrived and are ready to send out.

I’ll obviously need to hold on to people's parts if they request a weathering commission. This will be payable on completion along with shipping.

Shipping is currently looking something like this but could be subject to change by the time of shipping:
  • UK = £15
  • EU = £20
  • USA = £33
  • CANADA = £33
  • SINGAPORE = £43
  • JAPAN = £33
  • AUSTRALIA = £46
**Buyer is responsible for any additional import duty/tax.**

All orders will be sent via UPS (including full insurance).

I can’t tell you how excited I am to finally get this run off the ground! It’s been an incredible amount of work, and quite the investigative rabbit hole! But I’m immensely proud of the models that have been produced as a result, and so grateful for the support that you’ve all shown in following its progress and taking part!

I can’t wait to finally get these made and sent out to you all, and to finally handle what will be an incredibly close representation of the original prop!

Thanks everyone!

All the best, and MTFBWY – Always!

Dave

Last edited:
Wasn't the crimping on the emitter/balance pipe debunked? Are we talking about the roughness on the bottom of the emitter? I remember reading the balance pipes were made of inconel and were too tough to crimp.

Wasn't the crimping on the emitter/balance pipe debunked? Are we talking about the roughness on the bottom of the emitter? I remember reading the balance pipes were made of inconel and were too tough to crimp.
Yeah, I guess "crimping" isn't the right word. I'm referring to the surface damage at the entrance to the Inconel part. There's what looks like weld spatter around the rim, but I'm pretty sure there is some damage to the actual part underneath as well. The fact that there's damage to the rim of the outer part around the same place as the worst part makes me think that it's not just something attached to the surface. I'm not suggesting it was "crimped" intentionally as a way of attaching it. More a description of how it looks. I'll think about rewording. (y)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back