Darth Vader reveal helmet

Deetz

A project I've been wanting to do for a long time. I'm very close to the end now with the dome, lenses and a sith styled stand for the helmet remaining. As for real parts, yeah no, not happening lol. I tried finding parts but they seem scarce, or I just didn't search in the right areas, no matter, using real parts wasn't the objective. I just want a Darth Vader reveal helmet for my display. I've built everything myself including the model of the helmet and 3D printed it. I did my best to match reference photos of the original so overall, I'm happy with how it's going! :)
20220212_171901.jpg20220222_111043.jpg20220222_111057.jpg20220222_111115.jpg20220301_102113.jpg

Here are the images of the 3D work

wip02.jpgwip03.pngwip04.pngwip05.pngwip08.png

Attachments

• 20220301_101957.jpg
    20220301_101957.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 517
  • 20220301_102010.jpg
    20220301_102010.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 610
Looks fantastic!!
Thank you!
Pretty amazing! I’m assuming you’re printing in resin by the detail and cleanliness of it all?
Indeed! All of the exterior bits are resin with most of the interior as well. The helmet itself is PLA filament printed on the Creality. I used 2mm and 3mm aluminium and copper tubes for the interior. I also cut a braided hose line in half for the chin area. The trick of course was getting all the printed parts modelled in 3D accurately! I did manage to use an old digital cable box for the perforated steel on the neck brace which was nice.

I also used a small stainless mesh sheet laid in behind the larger steel mesh for the mouth and chin area.

Last edited:
Thank you!

Indeed! All of the exterior bits are resin with most of the interior as well. The helmet itself is PLA filament printed on the Creality. I used 2mm and 3mm aluminium and copper tubes for the interior. I also cut a braided hose line in half for the chin area. The trick of course was getting all the printed parts modelled in 3D accurately! I did manage to use an old digital cable box for the perforated steel on the neck brace which was nice.

I also used a small stainless mesh sheet laid in behind the larger steel mesh for the mouth and chin area.
Resin is the way to go for detail. I just printed a ROTS Vader helmet entirely in resin, and I don’t miss sanding pla one bit! I saw Adam Savage bought your Sapper Morton helmet you did, are you going to sell this one? If you do, you better ask a ton for it because it’s well worth it.

Man thats Gorgeous!!!
Thanks, Apollo!
Resin is the way to go for detail. I just printed a ROTS Vader helmet entirely in resin, and I don’t miss sanding pla one bit! I saw Adam Savage bought your Sapper Morton helmet you did, are you going to sell this one? If you do, you better ask a ton for it because it’s well worth it.
You must have a huge resin printer! Not sure if anyone else does this but I use print resin to smooth my PLA prints and cure with UV light, I do 3 light coats of resin, much easier to sand and still provides an excellent durable surface.

I don't plan on selling this, I really want this on display with the rest of my collection, but hey if the price was right I could part ways and build another.

Last edited:
Thanks, Apollo!

You must have a huge resin printer! Not sure if anyone else does this but I use resin to smooth my PLA prints, I do 3 light coats of resin, much easier to sand and still provides an excellent durable surface.

I don't plan on selling this, I really want this on display with the rest of my collection, but hey if the price was right I could part ways and build another.
I have a Peopoly Phenom L. The build of the helmet is in the Star Wars section here on the rpf. I’d keep that thing, it’s gorgeous!

I finished up some lenses for the helmet using 3mm PETG. The buck I printed didn't react so well to the 3mm petg though, much better using 1mm or .04" petg if you're going to use 3D printed bucks. Normally I would make a mould and cast it in smooth-cast 385 but the pieces were so small.

darth_vader_reveal_lenses.jpg

Looking great once again and yes (as Kroenen77 said) glossy black paint is a must (y)(y)Eager to see your next update!!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back