Darth Vader Helmet

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Jamie Davison, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Jamie Davison

Jamie Davison Active Member

I am looking to buy a Darth Vader helmet, I have about £300 to spend, think thats bout $500, and I just wanted to know what I can expect to get for this? I dont really know much about all the different types and what they go for, oh I want ESB/ROTJ. Thanks for any help.

2. anakin

anakin Well-Known Member

"I dont really know much about all the different types....."

well - doing your research helps in your choice - so I would suggest brushing up here first:

http://www.starwarshelmets.com/

3. Jamie Davison

Yes I have looked at this site, but it doesnt give you a guide of how much they sell for. And thats really what I want to know.

4. Too Much Garlic

Too Much Garlic Master Member

Most of the helmets on that site is going for $850+ (~£480) if you are lucky. You can perhaps find a Rubies Deluxe on eBay for the kind of money you have or one of the old Don Post Classic Action helmets, but don't really count on it.

Otherwise there's the Rubies Supreme (which requires a lot of work to look remotely good) or one of the hundreds of recasts on eBay (though, I would not recommend those at all.).

Save up some more and buy a good helmet. Good luck.

5. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

......totally agreed......the better built/finished, more accurate helmets will definitely run close to $1000. You may be able to find a bargain if you're patient....but be prepared to wait awhile. There are some other passable f-glass helmets but the details are typically far less sharp (i.e. dome ridge, nose slot edges, etc....), paintwork isn't as good, etc, etc....

If your budget isn't flexible and you are up to the challenge....go for a Rubies Supreme and mod it....there are some great tutorials online and some guys have made fantastic facsimilies of the OT lids.....

Otherwise, as mentioned, save your $ for a quality prop-built helmet....

6. Star Wars Man

Star Wars Man Well-Known Member

cool...if it doesnt fit a 12 year old...nvm

man, i want to be like...24.......

legal drinking, driving, and have these things fir me...

7. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

:confused

8. anakin

anakin Well-Known Member

"legal drinking, driving"

LOL..... Not at the same time though...

SWM - don't be in a hurry to grow up too fast....

9. Darthmagpie

Darthmagpie Well-Known Member

Star Wars Man,
    Had I been able to discuss and learn from a group of people like the RPF at your age, I would be so much further in this hobbie. Vader is a great project and today I ordered my last piece to complete a 5 year $4000 (this is on a tight budget) project that i now have to assemble to look decent. I see your inquisitive and energenic questions and it's great. My suggestion to you is INPUT, INPUT, INPUT. Read threads and do reaserch and learn from the wealth of knowlage amassed here. Learn what items are good and bad and keep an eye open for deals on projects that tickle your fancy. Remember someone's trash is another's treasure. SHure Expensive items that you want will come up for sale and you may miss them due to budget and many years later they are hard to get and you are * you didn't sell your "whatever" to buy it. But believe me it is better that plunking a bunch of hard earned cash down on something that is junk because of lack of knowlage or patience.

10. Goldenrod

Goldenrod Sr Member

Well for your age/size(assuming your not very tall), you could use the basic Don Post Vader helmet and add some length to the dome along the bottom to make it longer and appear alittle bigger. And trim the neck,add better tusks,darken the lenses and better grills. I've seen this done with very good results for smaller people. Then you can just buy some sintra and use the many pics at Jez's site for reference to make the armor in your particular size. If your a very tall 12 yearold then go for a Classic Action DP helmet(made for big adults,i'm 5'8" and i looked like Rick Morinas in Space Balls) or save the cash and go for the much better quality helmets out there(but again are the bigger size). Now that i think about it you may even try the Master Replicas Vader ROTS helmet- would be your best bet. It was created to fit Hayden so it is smaller than the Prowse size helmet. Either way you go if you really put your heart into any project it will become a reality for ya;-)
    Find out when and where the next 501st gathering will be in your area and see if they have a Vader and maybe check out his helmet/costume??
    Good luck.
    -Goldenrod

11. DARTH ANIBAL

DARTH ANIBAL Well-Known Member

To StarWarsMan: PLEASE don't rush being a kid. You're only a kid for about 17 years of your life, you'll have the rest of your life to be an adult. Besides, there's more to life than "legal drinking, driving". :) Believe me, you'll spend most of your adult life wishing you were a kid again.

To the original poster: The price you'll have to pay will be dictated by what you're after. As someone already posted, if you're up for a bit of a challenge, you could try modding a Rubies' Supreme. It's an excellent project helmet. If you follow this link, you can see some pics of mine http://gameworldweb.com/DarthAni%20Web/index.htm Including the price of the helmet, that was done for under $500. It'll take some patience, research, and a little bit of skill (don't worry, I never did anything like that before, and I think it came out pretty decent), but it's do-able.

12. Star Wars Man

Star Wars Man Well-Known Member

o srry guys, i didnt mean to post on this thread...

13. Jamie Davison

Well i bought a vader helmet and chest armour, the face mask is finished but the armour and dome needs sanding and painting. I will post pictures of what it looks like on sunday. I will also update when it is complete.

14. GundamZeppelin

GundamZeppelin Sr Member

I'm interested to see what you got :)

15. paulcarson

paulcarson Well-Known Member

I think I know where you got it. ;)

(could possibly be the same one I was interested in) If it is, I can't wait to see what you've done with it.

16. Jamie Davison

Well I have not done anything to it yet, I only received it this morning. And as im busy all weekend with work Im not gonna be able to make a start till next wednesday and thats only if I get all my uni work done by then. lol but I will be able to post pics on sunday, or posibly 2morow of it in its current state.

17. LogansRunner

LogansRunner Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that the RoTS helmet was the same size, with more padding in the inside..... :confused

18. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

Yup...that what I think. LFL took an OT lid, scanned it, made it symmetrical and then padded it to fit Hayden's noggin'.

Otherwise, if LFL made it smaller than an OT lid, I would think all proportions would be waaaay off.

19. LogansRunner

LogansRunner Well-Known Member

Same thing was thinking. :thumbsup

20. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

Hey Jamie,

Looking forward to seeing what you do with the parts.

I was really pleased with the way that facemask came out - a lot of work went into it but I think it paid off.

As I mentioned, the dome is a little soft on the ridge casting, but with a bit of effort it should come up trumps - likewise with the armour and shoulder bells, with a bit of 'spit and polish' they will look great on display. :)

As you know, feel free to pM me here or on TPZ for any help with finishing etc.

Regards

Al

21. Jamie Davison

I took a few pictures of the helmet and armour, they are not very good pics but they will have to do. The facemask does look great I hope I can finish the dome and armour to the same standard. The dome and armour just need some filling and sanding and then they can be painted.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

Nice lookin' facemask ;) - although that pic makes it look a bit gold (ala threepio.).

The dome and armour need to be hit with another coat of grey primer before proceeding - the reason they look so 'raw is they have been primered and sanded several times already in prep. for the finish.

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress pics Jamie.

Al

23. GundamZeppelin

GundamZeppelin Sr Member

Great work wow. how much did you drop on the whole set up?

24. Jamie Davison

I paid £250 (bout $400) for the lot, and that came with the finished facemask, so the hardest part is already done. I am off to halfords todat to buy paint and filler so I can make a start during the week.

25. Darth Domain

Darth Domain Well-Known Member

What filler are you gonna be using mate?

26. matt1466

matt1466 New Member

I think you came out pretty good on the deal. Like you said, the hardest part is finished.

Matt

27. GundamZeppelin

GundamZeppelin Sr Member

Great buy.. and good luck :D

28. Jamie Davison

The filler that I have got is 'Loctite Auto Professional Body Filler'. I got it because it says its easy to apply, shape and sand, which will be quite useful.

29. Darth Domain

cool. i was interested cause i'm doing my rubies at the mo, what parts have you got to fill?

30. Jamie Davison

There are a few scratches and a flat patch on the dome that need filling out and re-shapping, then it all needs a bit of sanding and it will be ready for painting.

31. Darth Domain

I :thumbsup Look forward to seeing the finished product

32. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

I recommend U-POL QUICKSAND multi purpose filler from Halfords - its easy to work with and it sands great.

33. Darth Domain

this will be the product i will use from now on :thumbsup

34. Jamie Davison

I have started to apply the filler, all the scratch/dent bits are done but the flat patch on the dome will need to be done in a few layers so will continue that 2morow, also 2morow I will start to sand the armour. Will post pics of progress 2morow as there is not too much to see today.

35. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

Looking forward to seeing the final product.

36. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Sr Member

Keep us updated with some progress pics ;)

37. Jamie Davison

Ok, well these are sort of progress shots, but I have only spent about an hour on the armour so far so dont expect to much. I have filled all the cracks/scratches and given the whole thing a quick sand. Then as ob1al suggested I applied a coat of primer to make it easier to work on. Now I can see all the impefections and know what needs to be filled/sanded.

From a distance it doesnt look to bad.
    [​IMG]

But close up there are quite a few patches that need work.
    [​IMG]

It doesnt look too bad tho, it basically just needs sanding smooth and it will be ready for painting. There is just one ridge that is a little flat that needs to be re-shaped.

As for the dome there is a flat patch on one side that I am still working on, I have used 3 thin layers of filler and it may need one or two more. Then it can be sanded to shape and painted. It will probably take a couple of weeks to get to the painting stage. But I will keep you updated as progress is made.

38. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

Well, you are gettig there Jamie. :)

You just need to go at that hammer and tongs with progressively finer grades of sandpaper / wet and dry paper, get it nice and smooth then give it another coat of primer to check for any remaining imperfections; if it's all looking good, a quick once over with 1500 grit then you can start painting. :thumbsup

Al

39. Too Much Garlic

Too Much Garlic Master Member

That's looking great. Good work so far. Looking forward to more updates. ,)

40. Jamie Davison

Well I thought id post a quick update, I have not been able to do to much im afraid, no time due to work/uni/life etc etc but the armour is almost ready for painting now. Ive sanded it all, but one or two holes have appeared which i have filled and just need to sand that then it will be good for primer. As for the dome I have not touched it for ages... I have the weekend off work so I am gonna do some more then, hopefully will get the armour to the stage where I can paint it. If that happens I will primer it and post pics.

41. SWFreak

SWFreak Well-Known Member

Is there a Vader specific costuming forum? Some type of one stop shop for all things Vader.

42. Thrawn

Thrawn Well-Known Member

Well, theres the Sith Training Temple, but its mostly geared towards scratch building, so not really a One Stop Shop, lots of great tips though.

The Sith Training Temple

43. Jamie Davison

Right, I have just just finished sanding the armour with 1200 grit wet'n'dry so it is ready for primer, I was hoping to primer it today but everytime I sanded something new holes appeared. Im gonna let it dry over night (from wet sanding) and tomorow, depending on the weather I will primer it.....

44. vaderfanforever

vaderfanforever Active Member

Try www.sithlords.com This is a group of Vaders, Mauls, Dookus, Palpatines that know a few things about gearing up as Darth Vader.

However, don't go in asking to buy stuff. That can be considered a no-no. If you want info on Vader gear, do some reasearch first, then ask questions later. The folks on this board are VERY helpfull. Good luck.

Elijah