Darth Vader Helmet

Jamie Davison

I am looking to buy a Darth Vader helmet, I have about £300 to spend, think thats bout $500, and I just wanted to know what I can expect to get for this? I dont really know much about all the different types and what they go for, oh I want ESB/ROTJ. Thanks for any help.

Originally posted by Jamie Davison@Jan 13 2006, 08:20 PM
Yes I have looked at this site, but it doesnt give you a guide of how much they sell for. And thats really what I want to know.
[snapback]1158129[/snapback]​
Most of the helmets on that site is going for $850+ (~£480) if you are lucky. You can perhaps find a Rubies Deluxe on eBay for the kind of money you have or one of the old Don Post Classic Action helmets, but don't really count on it.

Otherwise there's the Rubies Supreme (which requires a lot of work to look remotely good) or one of the hundreds of recasts on eBay (though, I would not recommend those at all.).

Save up some more and buy a good helmet. Good luck.

Originally posted by NoHumorMan+Jan 13 2006, 03:16 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoHumorMan @ Jan 13 2006, 03:16 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Jamie Davison
@Jan 13 2006, 08:20 PM
Yes I have looked at this site, but it doesnt give you a guide of how much they sell for. And thats really what I want to know.
[snapback]1158129[/snapback]​
Most of the helmets on that site is going for $850+ (~£480) if you are lucky. You can perhaps find a Rubies Deluxe on eBay for the kind of money you have or one of the old Don Post Classic Action helmets, but don't really count on it.

Otherwise there's the Rubies Supreme (which requires a lot of work to look remotely good) or one of the hundreds of recasts on eBay (though, I would not recommend those at all.).

Save up some more and buy a good helmet. Good luck.
[snapback]1158245[/snapback]​
[/b]

......totally agreed......the better built/finished, more accurate helmets will definitely run close to $1000. You may be able to find a bargain if you're patient....but be prepared to wait awhile. There are some other passable f-glass helmets but the details are typically far less sharp (i.e. dome ridge, nose slot edges, etc....), paintwork isn't as good, etc, etc....

If your budget isn't flexible and you are up to the challenge....go for a Rubies Supreme and mod it....there are some great tutorials online and some guys have made fantastic facsimilies of the OT lids.....

Otherwise, as mentioned, save your $ for a quality prop-built helmet....

"legal drinking, driving"

LOL..... Not at the same time though...

SWM - don't be in a hurry to grow up too fast....

Star Wars Man,
Had I been able to discuss and learn from a group of people like the RPF at your age, I would be so much further in this hobbie. Vader is a great project and today I ordered my last piece to complete a 5 year $4000 (this is on a tight budget) project that i now have to assemble to look decent. I see your inquisitive and energenic questions and it's great. My suggestion to you is INPUT, INPUT, INPUT. Read threads and do reaserch and learn from the wealth of knowlage amassed here. Learn what items are good and bad and keep an eye open for deals on projects that tickle your fancy. Remember someone's trash is another's treasure. SHure Expensive items that you want will come up for sale and you may miss them due to budget and many years later they are hard to get and you are pissed you didn't sell your "whatever" to buy it. But believe me it is better that plunking a bunch of hard earned cash down on something that is junk because of lack of knowlage or patience.

Well for your age/size(assuming your not very tall), you could use the basic Don Post Vader helmet and add some length to the dome along the bottom to make it longer and appear alittle bigger. And trim the neck,add better tusks,darken the lenses and better grills. I've seen this done with very good results for smaller people. Then you can just buy some sintra and use the many pics at Jez's site for reference to make the armor in your particular size. If your a very tall 12 yearold then go for a Classic Action DP helmet(made for big adults,i'm 5'8" and i looked like Rick Morinas in Space Balls) or save the cash and go for the much better quality helmets out there(but again are the bigger size). Now that i think about it you may even try the Master Replicas Vader ROTS helmet- would be your best bet. It was created to fit Hayden so it is smaller than the Prowse size helmet. Either way you go if you really put your heart into any project it will become a reality for ya;-)
Find out when and where the next 501st gathering will be in your area and see if they have a Vader and maybe check out his helmet/costume??
Good luck.
-Goldenrod

To StarWarsMan: PLEASE don't rush being a kid. You're only a kid for about 17 years of your life, you'll have the rest of your life to be an adult. Besides, there's more to life than "legal drinking, driving". :) Believe me, you'll spend most of your adult life wishing you were a kid again.

To the original poster: The price you'll have to pay will be dictated by what you're after. As someone already posted, if you're up for a bit of a challenge, you could try modding a Rubies' Supreme. It's an excellent project helmet. If you follow this link, you can see some pics of mine http://gameworldweb.com/DarthAni%20Web/index.htm Including the price of the helmet, that was done for under $500. It'll take some patience, research, and a little bit of skill (don't worry, I never did anything like that before, and I think it came out pretty decent), but it's do-able.

Well i bought a vader helmet and chest armour, the face mask is finished but the armour and dome needs sanding and painting. I will post pictures of what it looks like on sunday. I will also update when it is complete.

I think I know where you got it. ;)

(could possibly be the same one I was interested in) If it is, I can't wait to see what you've done with it.

Well I have not done anything to it yet, I only received it this morning. And as im busy all weekend with work Im not gonna be able to make a start till next wednesday and thats only if I get all my uni work done by then. lol but I will be able to post pics on sunday, or posibly 2morow of it in its current state.

Originally posted by Goldenrod@Jan 14 2006, 01:48 AM
you may even try the Master Replicas Vader ROTS helmet- would be your best bet. It was created to fit Hayden so it is smaller than the Prowse size helmet. Either way you go if you really put your heart into any project it will become a reality for ya;-)
Find out when and where the next 501st gathering will be in your area and see if they have a Vader and maybe check out his helmet/costume??
Good luck.
-Goldenrod
[snapback]1158517[/snapback]​
I was under the impression that the RoTS helmet was the same size, with more padding in the inside..... :confused

Originally posted by ~Sal~+Jan 20 2006, 04:05 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(~Sal~ @ Jan 20 2006, 04:05 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Goldenrod
@Jan 14 2006, 01:48 AM
you may even try the Master Replicas Vader ROTS helmet- would be your best bet. It was created to fit Hayden so it is smaller than the Prowse size helmet. Either way you go if you really put your heart into any project it will become a reality for ya;-)
Good luck.
-Goldenrod
I was under the impression that the RoTS helmet was the same size, with more padding in the inside..... :confused
[snapback]1163986[/snapback]​
[/b]

Yup...that what I think. LFL took an OT lid, scanned it, made it symmetrical and then padded it to fit Hayden's noggin'.

Otherwise, if LFL made it smaller than an OT lid, I would think all proportions would be waaaay off.

Originally posted by KevVader+Jan 20 2006, 10:26 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KevVader @ Jan 20 2006, 10:26 PM)</div>
Originally posted by ~Sal~@Jan 20 2006, 04:05 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Goldenrod
@Jan 14 2006, 01:48 AM
Good luck.
-Goldenrod

[snapback]1163986[/snapback]​

Yup...that what I think. LFL took an OT lid, scanned it, made it symmetrical and then padded it to fit Hayden's noggin'.

Otherwise, if LFL made it smaller than an OT lid, I would think all proportions would be waaaay off.
[snapback]1164003[/snapback]​
[/b]
Same thing was thinking. :thumbsup

Hey Jamie,

Looking forward to seeing what you do with the parts.

I was really pleased with the way that facemask came out - a lot of work went into it but I think it paid off.

As I mentioned, the dome is a little soft on the ridge casting, but with a bit of effort it should come up trumps - likewise with the armour and shoulder bells, with a bit of 'spit and polish' they will look great on display. :)

As you know, feel free to pM me here or on TPZ for any help with finishing etc.

Regards

Al

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back