Darth Malgus Costume W.I.P.

Maybe it will help, I've been working on the Armor pepakura files for Malgus for quite some time now after I was able to rip the character from the TOR Beta. It's low poly but with some ingenuity and imagination you can make it work, unfortunatly the model that I was able to extract was of him with his cape and hood so no back armor. But keep a eye on the Tamasoft Pepakura Gallery that's where I'll be uploading all my files from now on.
Pepakura Gallery

Pepmaster, I could kiss you... but my wife would probably look at me strange if I did, so I won't.

The face mask was looking to be the most difficult part for me to do, but with your pep mask, I think I can do the full Deceived.

If you need any help with screenshots or whatnot for more detailed pep files, just ask.

btw, your job is fraking AWESOME!

I look forward to seeing the work you guys are cranking out, it's exciting. I hope to join your ranks (as posted previously), but I was going to wait until after the Holidays to begin. My plan is to completion by August 2012 (GenCon).

Good luck all who are cobbling together this awesome gear!

Eh, the only armor parts for Malgus I won't be able to provide is just the files for the biceps and back piece. Like I mentioned the model is pretty low poly so some of it does'nt exactly show the detail I want, but I'll still be making the rest of the files for the Shoulder, Shin, Forearm, Boot and Handplates.

If you can do the gauntlets in a good resolution (at least good enough for me to be able to B.S. out the rest of the details), I might have to buy you a steak dinner if I see you at D*Con or Celebration VI.

@Flagwaver - I'll chip in on that meal! :)

PS - Would any of you posters know a good website/link to help someone learn the basics of using Pepakura in armor making. I've just graduated into the world of foam and Flexbond, so it seems I need to further my education.

I'll see what I can do, I'm not sure what I think of Matrixskull's files. Sometimes they are good sometimes not, but unless a professional 3D Modeller makes the model parts for Malgus we're just going to be stuck with Low-Poly models for now.

I thank you all for the help. If any of you are also doing this costume, I am willing to share any and all files I make with you. Just ask and you shall receive.

I thought you might find this tid-bit interesting. A company named Sideshow will be releasing a 1:1 statue of the game's villain, Darth Malgus. Maybe we can just undress a statue!
:lol

I actually saw some of the close-up pics of that statue...

Needless to say, it is as detailed as the smaller one they are releasing with the collector's edition. It looks okay, but the saber is as large as the first gen sabers in the alpha, among other things. It's still a good tool for some of the details, but not many.

One of the things that I am fairly well known for are my costume dissections. To that end, here is my dissection v2.0 of the Darth Malgus costume based on the Cinematic Trailer Model created by Alessandro Baldasseroni. I will begin with the soft parts of the armor, then move on to the firm parts (I’ll explain), and end with the hard parts.

SOFT PARTS
These parts are entirely cloth of one form or another.

UNDERSHIRT

The undershirt is primarily used for the neck and sleeves and appears to be based on a black loose-fitting underarmor shirt. It is made of a black shiny fabric such as underarmor, not leather, and appears to be loose but form fitting. Detail lines are sewn into the neck to appear like layered pillow-tucks. The arms have ½-inch quilting lines down from the shoulder to the wrist. It does not appear to be actual quilting, just the lines. It will include stirrups for the hands. There is a snap on the back of the hands to keep the gloves on and velcro sewn along the forearm to secure the gauntlets.

VEST

The vest is gray vinyl and has an accordion-fold detail up the front between the chest armor and the torso padding. The front has a false seam that looks like a hidden zipper, but is not. It will zip up the back to close. The accordion detail is made with a series of pockets that are glued under the front that have stiff sheets of sintra or plastic canvas that are slid in and it is backed with a piece of elastic to keep the folds from flattening. The upper part of the chest, as well as most of the back, will be made with mesh similar to Vader bodysuits. The back of the vest, from the side seam to the mesh, has a black 1/2-inch hexagonal pattern painted onto it. It has very short sleeves which have grommets to connect to the bicep armor. It will include strips of Velcro around the body to secure the torso padding as well as to secure the armor.

CAPE

The cape appears to have the same texture as monks cloth and connects to the armor under the shoulder plates. It hangs onto the floor by a few inches. It has a hood built into the neck that can be pulled over the head without disturbing the rest of the cape. The edges of the hood are free of the cape, suggesting that it is sewn to the back of the neck only. The cape includes a set of grommets to Chicago screw/bolt to the back of the armor under the shoulders.

GLOVES

The gloves are wrist-length leather gloves with small leather patches located over the knuckles. The gloves are only pull-on, having no means of securing them around the wrist. They have side seams that are typical of driving gloves. Three grommets on the back of each hand will be used to secure the hand armor’s Chicago screws. A snap will be sewn under the top of the wrist to secure it to the undershirt.

TROUSERS

The trousers are gray denim and have a 1-inch quilting down the leg from the waist to the knee, similar to the Darth Vader trousers. The shin has elastic across the forward quarter to keep it tight across the calf, as only the calf is visible. Velcro is sewn around the waist to hold the torso padding in place, along the front of the crotch and top of the butt to hold the cod and butt padding in place, on the thighs to hold the thigh padding, on the knees to secure the knee armor in place, and down the inside and outside of the calf to hold the calf padding. A set of suspenders will keep the trousers up and a set of stirrups will keep them tucked into the boots.

BOOTS

The boots are made from black leather and come up to the mid-calf. There is a black detail strip that rises from the toe of the boot half way up to top of the foot. There is a black heavy locking zipper on either side of the boot to secure them. The sole is a low boot sole with detail lines carved into it. The boot has a piece of elastic on the back to ensure a good fit (much in the same way as the sides of the Boba Fett or stormtrooper boots). The top of the boot fits over the calf padding. It will also have grommets for the armor connection.

FIRM PARTS
These parts are primarily flexible, but are not entirely considered soft parts nor hard parts as they are neither cloth nor armor. They will be primarily made of craft foam and will generally be painted with a flat finish.

BICEP PADDING

The biceps appear to be made of 3/8-inch firmed foam (a 1/4-inch thick base with a 1/8-inch façade). It has detail lines cut into the façade on the front and back and is formed around the biceps. The black padding appears to be 1/4-inch thick foam strips that have a pair of detail lines cut down them vertically. The entire set connects to the vest with a pair of grommets and Chicago screws. The main part is gray with a gloss finish (similar to the vest) and the pads are black with a semi-gloss finish.

TORSO PADDING

The torso padding appears to be 1/2-inch thick foam. The base will be a 1/4-inch piece that is uncut with a façade of a 1/4-inch pieces glued to the top. The strips look to be 1½-inches wide. The three top strips have rounded ends and velcro to the vest and back armor. The two pieces under those are solid and wrap around the body, connecting in the rear. Below that is a strip that is 4.5-inches wide with a Velcro strip along it for the belt. The middle of the back is connected together with side release buckles (including straps that are glued under the entire center piece) to secure it and has a piece in the center to cover the buckles.

The cod armor has cut-through layers to give it the inset details over the base. It is also shaped to curve around the edges and contour along the crotch. The butt armor connects to the center piece used to secure the belt around the waist. The belt piece, cod, and butt armor have velcro under them to secure them to the trousers.

There are carved detail lines in the façade of all the padding. It is painted black with a semi-gloss finish.

THIGH PADDING

The thigh padding is 3/8-inch thick foam. The base is 1/4-inch with a 1/8-inch thick façade. It is designed in faux strips and has vertical detail lines cut into the top. The base in the rear has two holes cut into it. The front of the thigh padding has a pair of holes cut down through the façade in the top and bottom. It secures to the trousers with Velcro. It is painted black with a semi-gloss finish.

CALF PADDING

The calf padding appears to be 1/2-inch thick foam; two layers of 1/4-inch foam. The façade has faux strips with vertical details lines and holes cut into it. The back has a hole through it to show the calf of the trousers. It has elastic on the front to hold it closed with Velcro and Velcro to secure the shin armor. The bottom tucks into the boots. It is painted black with a semi-gloss finish.

HARD PARTS
These parts are actual hard armor. I mostly be building them out of sintra (PVC foam board), but some of the pieces will use foam.

SHOULDER ARMOR

The shoulder armor is 1/2-inch thick and made of four layers of 1/8-inch sintra. The center two layers are solid. The top and under layers are separated as shown in the illustration, have their face edges rounded slightly, and glued onto the base with detail lines cut appropriately into the sides.. The two detail blocks on the top of the shoulder is made from four more layers of 1/8-inch sintra with a detail line cut into the sides and separate pieces across the top of the detail line. The top piece of the flap has a hole drilled into it on the front and back of the shoulder. The shoulders connect to the chest armor with Chicago screws. It is painted black with metallic aluminum weathering and given a semi-gloss finish. Small lines of flat finish will be painted on to show further weathering details.

CHEST & BACK ARMOR

The chest armor is made of four layers of 1/8-inch sintra. The top piece will be cut into sections based on the images above, have the face corners rounded, and glued back into place. There is a hole in the face that is specifically for the lights. With another next to it that has a pattern etched onto it before it is reinserted. The two pieces of red acrylic will be back lit by LEDs.

The shoulders will have nylon strapping under the armor with a set of grommets for the cape to Chicago screw to. Additionally, the shoulder armor will Chicago screw into these same holes.

The back is made similar to the front, but will be made with a 3/8-inch piece of foam with a 1/8-inch foam façade. There are several detail pieces with holes cut through them as appropriate. The center hole reveals a set of holes cut through the next 1/8-inch piece under it with a 1/8-inch piece glued on top of it. There is a 1/4-inch piece near the top with a pair of screws or caps under it. There are three 1/8-inch pad pieces on either side that Velcro to the sides of the vest. There are holes through the 1/8-inch top layer for the torso padding to Velcro into. There is a Y-piece that is 1/4-inch thick and made with layers of 1/16-inch foam sheets. Finally, there is a 1/2-inch thick box on the lower right side. The bottom of the back armor also velcros under the torso padding.

Around the neck is a ring made of 1/2-inch thick foam. It has a raise on the front and back with detail boxes cut into them. The front and back have small rectangular depressions on either side of the raised piece, but the front has red LED backlit acrylic on either side.

There is a sintra overlay on the central part. The main part is made from two 16-inch sheets. There is a 1/8-inch circle on the center and another (with a 1/16-inch topper) on the other side of the bottom. The central top ring is made from a 1/8-inch piece with a 1/16-inch topper set in a hole. The central top circle is made with two 1/8-inch pieces with a 1/16-inch topper.

The sintra will have a piece of foam under it to pad it against the body. The battery pack for the LEDs would be housed in the black box on the back of the costume. It will be painted gray and black with a semi-gloss finish. Small lines of flat finish will be painted on to the main chest and back to show further weathering details.

GAUNTLETS

The gauntlets will be made in four pieces. The two side pieces will be made of 1/8-inch sintra that is bent at angles to form around the arm. A piece of 1/16-inch sintra will go over this as a façade with appropriate cut-outs to mimic the details in the picture. Additionally, the sintra base will have details etched into it. A pair of white acrylic will be on either side and back-lit with LEDs. Opposite the LEDs will be a set of magnets under the sides to secure the bottom part of the gauntlet.

The top piece will be made from 1/8-inch sintra with a raised detail, also made of 1/8-inch sintra. It will also include the 1/16-inch façade that will have various cut-outs for the details. The back will include several pieces of white and red acrylic that are lit with LEDs. Most of these pieces will have various characters on them as appropriate. It will be permanently attached to the side pieces with Chicago screws, but it will be loose enough to allow them to spread to allow the arm in.

The bottom piece will be made in a similar fashion to the top, but will not include the lights. Also, it will have a set of four magnets built into it under the front and back corners to secure the gauntlet together.

Velcro will be lined on the sides to secure the gauntlet to the sleeve in such a way that the paddles of the top and bottom piece are lined up on either side of the elbow. The battery pack will be stream-line and under the top face of the gauntlet. It will be painted black and given a semi-gloss finish. Small lines of flat finish will be painted on to show further weathering details.

HAND ARMOR

The hand armor is made of layers of 1/8- and 1/16-inch sintra. It is fairly simple in its construction with detail work built up on it. It secures to the glove with Chicago screws. It will have a small flap of Velcro under it to protect the glove. It is painted black with metallic aluminum weathering and given a semi-gloss finish. Small lines of flat finish will be painted on to show further weathering details.

BELT

The belt is made of both foam and sintra. The main part of the belt is made of a 1/4-inch piece of foam. On top of that is a 1/8-inch piece of foam detailing with another that has the buckle detail cut out of it.

The buckle and details directly next to the buckle are made with 1/16-inch sintra, layered in some cases, and attached into the foam with Chicago screws. The “pouch” pieces are made with both 1/8-inch and 1/16-inch pieces of sintra and attached similarly.

The belt connects in the rear with a pair of side-release buckles. There is also a 1/4-inch thick flap that velcroes onto the rear of the belt to hide the buckles. The flap has a 1/8-inch façade with detail lines drawn in it that covers the top of the butt armor. It includes a detail made of sintra that Chicago screws into the flap to cover it.

The belt is held to the torso padding with velcro under it. The belt is painted black and given metallic aluminum weathering. The details are painted silver. It is all given a semi-gloss finish. Small lines of flat finish will be painted on to show further weathering details.

KNEE ARMOR

The knee armor is made with pieces of 1/8-inch sintra built around a piece of 1/2-inch foam (for comfort). The top and detail face includes a 1/16-inch façade with detail lines. The sintra only extends to the side seams. The piece of foam comes out from under the sintra to wrap around the leg. It includes a 1/8-inch foam façade with detail lines on it. The foam is anchored to the knee armor with Chicago screws and velcroes under the inside-leg part of the armor.

The knee piece has Velcro on it to secure it to the trousers. It is painted black and weathered metallic aluminum with a semi-gloss finish. Small lines of flat finish will be painted on to show further weathering details.

SHIN ARMOR

The mail part of the shin armor is made using a 1/8-inch plate of sintra bent slightly around the front of the leg. It has a 1/8-inch façade over this with detail lines cut in it. There is another piece on the top of it, as well as a couple of pieces going down the front as further details.

There is a piece of ¼-inch foam that wraps around the back of the leg. It is connected to the sintra with Velcro on the outside of the leg and a nylon strap on the inside of the leg.

The shin armor secures to the calf padding with two strips of velcro down either side. It is painted black with a semi-gloss finish. Small lines of flat finish will be painted on to show further weathering details.

ACHILLES ARMOR

The shin armor is made using layers of 1/8-inch sintra that is shaped and glued together. There is a façade over the base later with holes in it, but those holes are the actual location of the Chicago screws that attach the Achilles armor to the boot. It is painted black with a semi-gloss finish. Small lines of flat finish will be painted on to show further weathering details.

BOOT ARMOR

The boot armor is three separate pieces. The top two pieces are made of 1/8-inch sintra layers with a foam base (to protect the boot). They have a layered 1/16-inch detail with detail lines cut into the façade. They attach to the boot with Chicago screws.

The wrap-around piece on the back of the boot will be made of two pieces of 1/16-inch form with a detail line cut into the façade. It will attach to the boot with Velcro.

They are painted black with a semi-gloss finish. Small lines of flat finish will be painted on to show further weathering details.

MISC PARTS
These parts aren’t part of the actual costume, but I’ll post them here anyway. They mostly include the FX of the makeup, the lightsaber which I am custom ordering, and the mask that I still have no idea how I am going to do it exactly.

MASK

The main part of the mask will be made with 1/16-inch sintra as a medium for a pepakura model. For most of the details it will be layered. The silver screens will be aluminum and backed with a light black cloth to help with air circulation. The sections between the horizontal bars on the front of the mouth will likewise be backed with cloth for air circulation. The lights will be red acrylic with LEDs behind them. The LEDs will be cushioned so no light bleeds inside the mask. A fan will be located in front of the mouth for both air circulation and to add a chopped mechanical tone to the voice when I speak.

LIGHTSABER

The lightsaber will be custom made. It will probably be thicker than it appears in the above picture, but will include all of the details. It will include a MR Force FX batter pack/speaker in the pommel and a red blade. The button on the side will be used for activation/deactivation with the red button used only for decoration. The blades on either side of the emitter will have rounded edges for safety, but still painted as they are shown.

MAKEUP

The main part of the makeup will be a pair of Sith contacts (yellow in the center and red on the edges). The scars on the cheeks will be accomplished with collodion and some shadowing using makeup. The eyesockets will be darkened with makeup.

The baldness and veins will be accomplished using a bald wig. It will extend over the eyebrows and down the sideburns where it will be spirit gummed on. It will have blue yarn glued onto the underside of it in points as well as blue coloring painted lightly onto the underside in points. The back will include a snap to connect to the mask.

That was rediculously detailed. Thank you! I hope I can do a decent job following your lead over the next 6 months.

Been following this work for a while now, sorry you couldn't get it set up in time for the Launch Day.

I find your dissection most enlightening and inspiring. I'm looking to put together a Malgus myself, and your threads here and on Flagship Eclipse have been a great help an motivator to get my costuming in order to get this done.

I'll be lurking!

Just to let you know, I have not forgotten about this costume. I am still compiling some of the necessary information that I need in order to properly design/build it. The problem is that my sources are some of the best in the industry and are thus getting swamped with Con Season beginning. However, I have assurances from the Chancellor that the ambassadors arrived... I mean, I have assurances from my designer that the project will be finished on schedule.

Some people have asked how I plan to do the lightsaber, since the image shows it to be a little slim. Well, I plan to expand it slightly to fit the necessary saber guts. I'll be going through a reputable saber builder and asking him to use TCSS parts for it (I like the brightness of their LEDs and the strength of their battle blades).

21lightsaber.png

Here are a couple of the images of the pepakura that Fierfek (his screen name) is making for the Darth Malgus. Also, a couple of the images were some that I have found, but I cannot for the life of me remember the artists who designed them (if you know, please PM me and I will post that information.

As you can see, both have good details on their own parts, so I plan to combine them with a couple of small customizations. Currently, he is working on the chest piece and gauntlets for me (as well as a possible full-detail mask).

Here's the leg armor that Fierfek designed, as well:

And, finally, a shameless plug for him since he is helping me in this and other projects:
Fierfek's Star Wars pepakura file development

So, I got a notification today from someone over on the hacked site. It said the following:

The image I created of Darth Malgus lightsaber is being used used without my permission as stated under US Copyright 17 USC Section 101. Please remove this image immediately.

I believe that the poster is referring to the image of the lightsaber that you can find on the first page of this topic. There is only one small problem with his claim, though.

The picture created by the artist James Villanueva is an unmodified version of the picture he created of a Lucasfilm, Limited and Bioware copyrighted intellectual property. The artist and artist's contact information (the url) are located on the image thus correctly sourcing it. I have not claimed to be the creator of the image nor have I modified the image from it's original copyrighted source (to include the watermark). I am using it for an educational endeavor, as well. Thus, it is not a violation of copyright law any more than siting a similar work in an essay or novel and giving it full sourcing.

According to FL-102, 2009, unless and until he can provide permission obtained through Lucasfilm, Limited or Bioware that gives him permission to recreate their intellectual property; because I have left the sourcing, author, and date data intact in the original image; and it was found through an open internet search of public sites; the picture will remain in use. If he can provide the information requested, then I will remove the image.

Finally, it should be noted that that site has been hacked and is no longer under the use of its intended purpose. Thus, I do not have the adequate permissions to modify my posts on this site.

I don't really know much about the legal side of this, but did he offer you any proof to him being the actual creator? I was also under the impression these images belonged to Lucas arts and/or Bioware. Not to mention why did he post it on the hacked site and not here??

That's funny. He's on a hacked site talking about copyright. It has no permission to be there, he has no permission to participate, and any notice must be non recognized as legally sent.

I don't really know much about the legal side of this, but did he offer you any proof to him being the actual creator? I was also under the impression these images belonged to Lucas arts and/or Bioware. Not to mention why did he post it on the hacked site and not here??
That's the funny part. That image cannot be claimed to be his no more than I can claim that a dollar bill is mine. It is the intellectual property of LFL and Bioware. Heck, even the Alessandro Baldasseroni image I use in the dissection isn't owned by Baldasseroni, it is owned by LFL/Bioware.

Not to mention, because I am using the image as part of an educational endeavor, not claiming it as my own, not modifying it, and keeping the artists information on it, then it is good to go. Not to mention, I found a more accurate picture that I posted above.

You know, I might just add insult to perceived injury and use his image to create the actual saber (the emitter is better suited for a 1-inch dueling blade). Then take a picture in the exact same position, with the same background and lighting. That would definitely stick in his craw.

That's funny. He's on a hacked site talking about copyright. It has no permission to be there, he has no permission to participate, and any notice must be non recognized as legally sent.
I know, that's what makes it kind of hinkey (to use an Abby-ism). Google shows four different links on the first two pages of image searches for "Malgus Lightsaber" with the forth being the hacked site. As for no permission, I did not modify it in any way and it already includes the sourcing information for the artist. That's why it smells stink of it.

The Deviantart page where I originally found this image says the following:

RisiaVyle on Deviant Art said:
Star Wars and related items are (c) Lucasfilms LTD.
SWTOR Lightsaber designs are (c) BioWare
So, by the artist's own admission (if RisiaVyle is the artist), the pictured item is copyrighted to LFL and Bioware. By claiming that the image is copyrighted to him/her, it is a violation of copyright law.

If she tries to push the issue, I am a member of the 501st and have access to LFL Fan Relations. I'll just forward this to them and let them handle it. Typically, that means opening the cage and letting the lawyers loose.

malgushead.png

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back