Daft Punk | TIDAL | TK9336

TK9336

Hey all,

I finished another version of Daft Punk for this year's Dragon*Con. I have a miles long thread that got lost in the Star Wars section of the boards that documents all my Daft Punk builds in one thread as they happen. I wanted to post a summarized thread for those interested.

Remember the enigmatic Robotic duo made a splash at TIDAL? They also sported brand new YSL digs on everything but the robot props.

Press Release of Daft Punk at TIDAL by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr

Like last year's Grammy impromptu shoot in lieu of my failed Discovery shot, Jang Choe, Atlanta Fashion photographer stepped up to the plate this year with my TIDAL gear. Making the best of a bad timing situation, we shot in near light conditions which resulted in a cool 90's Magazine grain shoot.

Daft Punk | Beyond TIDAL | Jang Choe by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr

Just in case I forget I am the short one:

Inner details of the TIDAL Daft Punk Jackets by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr

Sleeve detail on Daft's jackets, versus the commercially available YSL jacket. For easier glove application.

Unlike the commercial version of the "Studded Teddy Jacket" by Yves Saint Laurent, Daft Punk's featured zippers on sleeves for easier removal of their robot gloves. As does mine. #ysl #daftpunk by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr

Costumes by me:
GM by Pedro Aloha
TB by Volpin
GM gloves by me
TB gloves by Artem (thanks for the last minute pull, my vac former broke.)
RAM Glove Print by me

Broken down;

I originally wanted to finish my the two year long Discovery project for Dragon*Con this year, but since prototyping PCB's was proving costly, and in addition to the BGReplicas showing up on the scene (effectively nearly finishing what I had barely started,) I figured whats a little more time to wait.

So I still wanted to do something new and fresh for this year. The logical choice was Daft's YSL TIDAL costumes. I contacted my buddy overseas who made my Grammy costumes if he was up to doing another project.

Let's take a look at what we're dealing with-

Daft Punk at TIDAL by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr

So, RAM helmets, YSL velour studded jackets, leather pants, and the same boots they wore with the sequins in the Coachella Teaser/ Get Lucky Music video. They just appear without the glitter. The same RAM digital patterned printed gloves too, and that's about it.

Let's start at the head: Pedro Aloha's RAM GM is just perfect. I fell in love with the hefty build thread and insane dedication to perfection. I used his cast as my Grammy lid, only right I get around to chroming one this time.

Pedro Aloha's Raw RAM GM cast by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr

Pedro Aloha's Grammy RAM GM with raw cast by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr

Pedro Aloha's RAM GM Lid by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr

10/10 this is the cleanest cast I've ever worked with. On par with the fiberglass Volpin TB cast he did for me last year. Just absolute perfection and attention to detail.

Next would be the neck, so here's what I use for a balaclava now.

Balaclava/shirt by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr

What I really like about this balaclava/shirt is that by it's very nature it stays taut. What I have found is that just a balaclava bunches up at the base of the neck and pulls off the top the head every time you remove your helmet. These on the other hand have been the exact opposite.

Now the jackets:

From this shot, we can see the stud pattern continues onto the back of the jacket. Also, that Guy and Thomas have gold, and silver studs respectively.

YSL Studded Teddy Jacket in Black Velour by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr

Since we don't get a clear picture of the Daft ones, here is the officially released one via YSL. I am using this a base to the back of mine.

The jackets are made with velour fabric, similar to the stuff fancy European pillows are made from. If your grandma was anything like mine, you had one or two. Since I'm no fashion designer, the most use I've ever seen with this stuff has been on fancy furniture. So as far as how hot it gets, I have no idea. It will be lined with silk though. Here is the fabric I'll be using:

Velour Farbic by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr

Here's a link to the variation YSL sells; http://www.ysl.com/au/shop-product/...black-velour_cod34532447hn.html#dept=rtw_men_

After doing some digging around I couldn't find anything close to the crystal studs they use on YSL jackets. After talking to a industry friend of mine concluded that AB rhinestones would be a good alternative. Here's what I am talking about-

Daft Punk next to Beyonce at TIDAL by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr

Notice the reflection the crystals give. Its not just a sheen, its the AB. So, here's what I am using (or what I sent my friend to assemble for me)

SS12 AB Shine Rhinestones by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr

SS12 AB Shine Rhinestones by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr

Next up are the iconic gloves:

The same digital printed gloves are back! So this one is a no brainer for me. I'll use my own.

RAM Gloves by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr

When I originally made mine for C2E2 in Chicago in 2014, I made a GM and Thomas pair. I never made a mold for my sculpt to vac form more sets. The vac former I use broke down, so I reached out to another Daft builder Artyom, and he hooked me with a pair near overnight. Kudos to him.

Next are the pants:

Daft Punk next to Beyonce at TIDAL by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr
YSL Leather Pants by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr

Daft undoubtedly used leather pants at the conference. I originally wanted to as well, but a few factors came into play, 1) the Atlanta heat, 2) practicality, 3) cost. I usually spare no expense on my Daft gear (so much so I got hate mail on Instagram about it!) But a pragmatic approach was taken this time. I couldn't find a affordable (under $200) pair of decent pants that had all the same hallmarks the originals had. Eventually I did, but they were PVC/vegan leather and weren't going to be form fitting the way I needed them. The ones I found were entry level/novelty leather pants. No clue how the fit would be (why buying leather garments online is a :wow::wow::wow::wow: show.)

Here's a link to the YSL leather pants if you're so inclined: http://www.ysl.com/au/shop-product/...nny-jean-in-black-leather_cod40118503fr.html#

Instead my Atlanta local Fashion Photographer buddy JWCP (who did my Grammy shoot at last year's Con) suggested designer waxed denim jeans. He sent me links to YSL's own waxed denim which is similar to their leather pants as far as placement and fit goes:

YSL Waxed Black Denim Jeans by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr

Here's a link to the YSL waxed denim in leather look: http://www.farfetch.com/shopping/me...fsb=1&ef_id=VbDxUAAABaUg8Hm3:20150723135112:s

So with that in mind, I went on a mission to find a comparable pair to the YSL denim. After a couple days of searching I found a couple, but ASOS was completely out of my size and there was no way I was buying $800 worth of YSL denim so I settled on a similar pair from SYSTVM (another designer brand).

SYSTVM Pants by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr

The best part about the SYSTVM waxed denim was not only it hit the accuracy points I needed, but cost was spot on in regards to my budget. For just under $100 bucks I secured two pairs in the sizes I needed.

Here's the link to where I got mine: http://www.c21stores.com/product/systvm-coated-skinny-jeans/searchString/SYSTVM Coated Skinny Jeans

Here's my own picture of the pants when they arrived.

SYSTVM Coated Denim by Kevin Skiera, on Flickr

Lastly will be the shoes:

I am going to reuse my Giorgio Brutini's since the style is the same. I will be using my glitter versions again because I can't justify owning a pair just for this appearance, that would be wasteful. So yes, I didn't go completely balls to the wall with this variation, lol, you got me!

Apologies on the links to sites to refer to buy items, if it violates the community rules mods feel free to delete the links.

Stay Daft my friends,
Kevin

I love Daft Punk! So you used a cast helmet inside of a 3D printed one? I have thought about making a replica of one of there outfits for awhile. I have seen versions on some 3D printed sites I use.

Yup, definitely Volpin. No electronics MakerInTraining, thats only on Discovery.
kingtoy No 3D printed anything here, that is cast off Volpin's sculpt I bought from him years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back