Daft Punk Helmet for my little brother!

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Crank729, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Crank729

Crank729 Sr Member

First off, huge thanks to Dung0beetle for the 3d model and to my good friend cama900 for the unfold. This project would not have been possible without them!

I started this helmet about two months ago. After I finished the pep, It didn't fit me......at all. But luckily, I do have have little brothers who also happen to like Daft Punk.....so I went ahead with the helmet.

[​IMG]

This helmet got about 5 coats of resin on the in and out, then I rondo'ed instead of my usual fibreglass. I find rondo to be easier than fibreglass and less time consuming. After lots of sanding ( and dropping the helmet a few times:facepalm) I found myself with this:

[​IMG]

The next hurdle was the mouth. My original plan was to do the famous smiley mouth....but i'm lazy, so the straight slit was cut out with a dremel. At this time, I also cut out the visor. Here is how the helmet stands as of now.

[​IMG]

I plan to have this project done by the end of april, so watch this thread closely, I'll be moving as fast as I can!

Thanks for reading!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  2. rosskow

rosskow Well-Known Member

Re: Thomas Bangalter Helmet for my little brother!

i wish my older brother(s) did something like this for when i was younger, instead they just told me i was adopted because they were as many pictures of me as a little-un...anyway, great build. im not a big fan of daft punk (i love the tron soundtrack like a little fan boy) but i still want to do a build of this helmet because it just looks cool.

i'll be watching.

3. Crank729

Crank729 Sr Member

Update time! Although I have been a little sidetracked by other builds, I still am trying to finish this build as fast as I can. This is where The helmet stood after the last update.

[​IMG]

As you can see, a lot of fixing was in order. The dip in the upper visor was still there and the dome still needed a LOT of filling and shaping. So I went to work.

[​IMG]

( Tip: After sanding and before a new coat of primer, I wipe the piece down with a wet cloth. It helps to get rid of all the dust better than wiping it down with a dry cloth.)

Then I got some krylon ruddy brown on it, more bondo, and here is where it stands about 1 hour ago.

[​IMG]
    I'm getting closer guys! More updates will hopefully follow on the weekend.

4. Crank729

Crank729 Sr Member

[​IMG]

My helmet next to Harrison's ( AKA Volpin Props ).

I'm almost done the infinite sanding and filling stage....Yay!

5. trooper1m

trooper1m Active Member

the small helmet looks really nice Crank, you must be gutted when you realised it was too small...

6. Crank729

Crank729 Sr Member

Actually, I already have the volpin helmet, so it's not that big of a deal, but still sad.

7. Crank729

Crank729 Sr Member

[​IMG]

And here it is next to my Guy Manuel Helmet.

8. Teese

Teese Member

That's too bad you don't want to cast your GM. That's a great looking helmet, despite the back being a little warped.

9. Crank729

Crank729 Sr Member

I know....It's also a matter of price, too. For me to get the supplies for a mold up here in Canada is around 500 dollars, so if I do cast a helmet....I want it to be perfect.

10. Crank729

Crank729 Sr Member

Hey you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( Bonus points if you got the goonies reference!)

Well, I'm proud to say this project is about 90 percent done. On second thought........75 percent done. Yeah. Here's a pic!

[​IMG]

I have just been mindlessly sanding this thing.......Word of advice: If you decide to tackle this pep file, be prepared for an incredible amount of sanding, especially on the dome. IT NEVER ENDS!!!

Also, I wet sanded it last night out of boredom. I love wet sanding so much! More updates to come soon. If all goes well, I would like to have the forming buck for the visor done by then end of the week.

11. cokebabies

cokebabies Member

You brother is very lucky, this looks awesome. :cheers

12. Crank729

Crank729 Sr Member

Thanks man!

13. Hermes IPT

Hermes IPT New Member

Awesome!

14. Crank729

Crank729 Sr Member

Thank you kind sir!

15. Crank729

Crank729 Sr Member

I put in a 7 hour marathon of work today in my shop......I would like to thank Justice And Daft Punk for keeping me sane while I was working.

Today I focused my efforts on the buck for the visor......Since I'm making mine out of acrylic, They need to be heat formed to the curve of the visor.

Pics!

[​IMG]

Now you are probably thinking " what's so significant about some pieces of rounded wood?"

I'll tell you why it's significant. IT TOOK ME 5 HOURS. Yeah.....So much sanding.

[​IMG]

I also made this jig so I could cut straighter lines with my dremel and the router attachment. This is, so far, my preferred way of cutting the acrylic.

Okay, well....More to follow tomorrow. Thanks for reading guys!

16. rosskow

is your brother rushing you to finish it or is he being patience and enjoying seeing it come together?

17. Crank729

Crank729 Sr Member

He doesn't really care. He's 8.....so..........his attention span is about......4.2 seconds.
    He thinks it's cool though.

18. rosskow

i corrected your post for you

does he know/like daft punk or just think it's cool for what it is?

i hope he doesn't saying he has got a power rangers helmet to his friends, for your sake :)

19. Crank729

Crank729 Sr Member

Oh no, he knows Daft Punk......quite well actually. He even knows the names of the two guys. Guy is the gold helmet and thomas is the silver helmet!:$

20. Crank729

Crank729 Sr Member

Here are some pics of the mid seam.

Before clean up:

[​IMG]

After clean up:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To tell you the truth, I don't like it. I think I'm going to take the dremel to it again and make some parts of it deeper........it's just too subtle for my liking.......too soft.The depth of the cut is not uniform at all, so I'll make sure I fix that too. But other than that, this thing is done! All that's left to do now is make the ear pucks and put them on the helmet! WOO!

[​IMG]

Is this the week Crank729 finishes his little bro's helmet? Can he make the mid seam nice and sharp? Will his ear pucks rock? Can he save the princess?

TUNE IN NEXT TIME TO FIND OUT!

21. Knighttoknight

Knighttoknight Member

awsome helmet,is it going to be casted in plastic, was wondereing if you did the buck out of wood because you were not going to cast it in plastic.

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  22. Crank729

Crank729 Sr Member

No, this helmet will not be molded or casted. If it fit me I would have but it doesn't....oh well. And yes, I made the buck out of wood....not sure what you're asking though...

23. Detravoid

Detravoid Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That looks * near perfect, great work! I'm working on the Thomas Helmet too, It doesn't quite have the sharpness on the edges yours has, which I like. It resembles more the Discovery era one. I agree on your comment about the papercraft route, ALOT of sanding around the dome to smooth it perfectly.

24. Awesomeness

Awesomeness Active Member

I love these helmets. Your little brother should be proud.

25. Crank729

Crank729 Sr Member

Thanks guys!

26. bamboodia

bamboodia Active Member

Harder, Better, Faster, Smoother than a babies bum. Nice work man.

27. Mootina

Mootina New Member

wow... nice work there

28. Crank729

Crank729 Sr Member

Thanks Gents!

29. Crank729

Crank729 Sr Member

Dear Perfectionist inside of me: GET OUT OF MY HEAD!

[​IMG]

[​IMG][

[​IMG]

Yeah, I wasn't happy with it. The more I looked at that seam the more I didn't like it I'm gonna try again with a small model saw and styrene as a guide. Thanks to my friend Peter for the Tip.

30. Crank729

Crank729 Sr Member

[​IMG]

Had a little fun the past few days. I'm happy to say that the sanding and shaping is done! I'm really proud of how this helmet is coming out. By the way, The ear puck is JUST a TEST piece and nothing more. The visor is just hot glued in for giggles.

The bad news? I did not meet my imaginary deadline of the end of April.

The good news? This helmet is better than I expected And I am very close to finishing it. YES!

31. Crank729

Crank729 Sr Member

Can't have the helmet without the gloves, right?

[​IMG]

So it all started with this toaster oven I got at a thrift store for fifteen dollars. It was the right size and it worked, so that was all I cared about.

Originally, I made my DP gloves out of pvc pipe, patience and love, but that method proved to take me around 8 hours and it just wasn't worth the time. So...I built a vacuum former today. This was my master hand:

[​IMG]

My 6x6 vacuum former worked surprisingly well! This was the first pull:

[​IMG]

A little too soft because the plastic wasn't quite ready, but overall really good! These were done in .20 styrene. I switched to .40 later, because these proved a little too thin.

I made a bigger box too, so I could pull one hand at a time.

32. rosskow

this looks great and all, making good progress and even now making your brother some gloves to match but what about your own builds, at least your little brother monopolising your time is paying off with a great build :)

33. Crank729

Crank729 Sr Member

Actually, me and my little brother had some talks and now I'm selling the helmet to someone I know, I'm just finishing it for them. I need to fund more projects and he wants to buy some toys. He was actually okay with it......which surprised me.

Still, thanks for the kind words!

And by the way, I only work on Daft Punk lids, so these are my own builds. Those gloves I made are for me! And if anyone wants a set, they can PM me.

34. Crank729

Crank729 Sr Member

So today I partially finished the ear puck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I tried to make it look something like the HAA puck but after a few minutes on the lathe it turned into a my very own piece, but I still think it looks good. I still have to make sure it's completely symmetrical, so it is subject to change, but you get the idea of it.

After it's done, then it's on to silicone and a resin cast.

35. Crank729

Crank729 Sr Member

I thought I would share some pics of my finished Guy helmet, the same one I posted about in this thread a few pages back.

[​IMG]

Couple of things about this helmet before anyone asks:

#1. No, I can't see out of the visor. I secretly made this helmet for a friend who had broken his arm, so time constraints and lack of funds prevented me from trying to make a visor. This is a static piece, for display only; but you can still wear it!

#2. The colour scheme is really just me being lazy. Because the visor is fake, I didn't wanna go through the trouble of masking it and painting it gold, so I just painted it jet black. I included the HAA wires on the back, so this is really an combination of the encore helmet and the HAA helmet.

Overall, I am really happy with how this thing turned out and I look forward to starting another pep guy build soon.

36. Crank729

Crank729 Sr Member

Can someone recommend to me a shop vacuum with a lot of suction that I can buy at a place like home depot? Thanks.

37. abaker1381

abaker1381 Member

ive heard of people using 2 5hp vacs from walmart simultaneously. that being said, great work!

38. rosskow

Got a buying lined up already, that's good. And nice Guy helmet. I keep thinking about my next build, if i ever finish my current one, very tempting to try a daft punk build if a manage to build half as good.as yours have turned out.

39. Crank729

Crank729 Sr Member

Thanks rosskow. And If I ever finish my current helmet, It would be very tempting for me to try a boba fett helmet if I managed to make mine half as good as yours.

40. Crank729

Crank729 Sr Member

Not really Thomas related, but I thought people might be interested in seeing these...

[​IMG]

Krylon Metallic gold worked surprisingly well for me. And it dried in about 20 minutes.

If you want a completed set, PM me!

41. mexicutioner

mexicutioner New Member

very nice work. I really like the detail and effort you're putting into this.

42. Crank729

Crank729 Sr Member

Thank you....and you have the greatest screen name ever.

43. zanderwitaz

zanderwitaz Well-Known Member

Impressive work!

44. qckslvr546

qckslvr546 New Member

I forwarded your thread to my friend who wanted to make a Daft Punk helmet for Halloween for his first build. Looks awesome

45. sleepalot

sleepalot Active Member

what a nice brother! wish my brother would make me some stuff!

46. Crank729

Crank729 Sr Member

Thanks a lot guys. This helmet should be done in the next month. Almost there!

47. rosskow

"almost there" i dont know how many times i have said/thought that, im sure you'll get it done, myself, im not so sure about :confused

48. Crank729

Crank729 Sr Member

Did some small work today, but work nonetheless!

I redid the mid seam today using a method from my Friend Pedro Aloha....Thanks man!

[​IMG]

This saw cost me only 5 bucks at my local hobby shop.

[​IMG]

I used a piece of .30 styrene to slowly inch the saw across a few times to form a perfectly straight and clean line. Worked like a charm. After I took the styrene off, I grabbed a piece of 200 grit sandpaper and inserted it into the channel a few times to make it cleaner. Here's the result.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Overall i'm really happy with how it turned out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/url]

[​IMG]

This helmet will be done in the next month. I'm hoping to have it shipped by July 10th. I'm gonna miss tiny Thomas, he really has been a labour of love.

49. Props n Stuff

Props n Stuff New Member

I'll be building my own helmets this summer, in the hopes of having them for Halloween. Are there any tips you could give me?

50. Crank729

Crank729 Sr Member

My best advice would just be to take your time and know the materials you are working with very well. Patience is key.....and if you don't know how to go about something, just ask! They are thousands of incredibly helpful members here who know a lot more than I do, they would be happy to help.

Moreover, have fun! Helmets are a blast! Have fun on your builds.