Daft Punk Helmet for my little brother!

Crank729

Sr Member
First off, huge thanks to Dung0beetle for the 3d model and to my good friend cama900 for the unfold. This project would not have been possible without them!

I started this helmet about two months ago. After I finished the pep, It didn't fit me......at all. But luckily, I do have have little brothers who also happen to like Daft Punk.....so I went ahead with the helmet.

This helmet got about 5 coats of resin on the in and out, then I rondo'ed instead of my usual fibreglass. I find rondo to be easier than fibreglass and less time consuming. After lots of sanding ( and dropping the helmet a few times:facepalm) I found myself with this:

The next hurdle was the mouth. My original plan was to do the famous smiley mouth....but i'm lazy, so the straight slit was cut out with a dremel. At this time, I also cut out the visor. Here is how the helmet stands as of now.

I plan to have this project done by the end of april, so watch this thread closely, I'll be moving as fast as I can!

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Re: Thomas Bangalter Helmet for my little brother!

i wish my older brother(s) did something like this for when i was younger, instead they just told me i was adopted because they were as many pictures of me as a little-un...anyway, great build. im not a big fan of daft punk (i love the tron soundtrack like a little fan boy) but i still want to do a build of this helmet because it just looks cool.

i'll be watching.

Update time! Although I have been a little sidetracked by other builds, I still am trying to finish this build as fast as I can. This is where The helmet stood after the last update.

7074957535_9318cc9aea.jpg

As you can see, a lot of fixing was in order. The dip in the upper visor was still there and the dome still needed a LOT of filling and shaping. So I went to work.

6928903032_339b642997.jpg

( Tip: After sanding and before a new coat of primer, I wipe the piece down with a wet cloth. It helps to get rid of all the dust better than wiping it down with a dry cloth.)

Then I got some krylon ruddy brown on it, more bondo, and here is where it stands about 1 hour ago.

6928882314_82c0e1ca69.jpg

I'm getting closer guys! More updates will hopefully follow on the weekend.

6936011256_f71e2791b3.jpg

My helmet next to Harrison's ( AKA Volpin Props ).

I'm almost done the infinite sanding and filling stage....Yay!

the small helmet looks really nice Crank, you must be gutted when you realised it was too small...

That's too bad you don't want to cast your GM. That's a great looking helmet, despite the back being a little warped.

I know....It's also a matter of price, too. For me to get the supplies for a mold up here in Canada is around 500 dollars, so if I do cast a helmet....I want it to be perfect.

Hey you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( Bonus points if you got the goonies reference!)

Well, I'm proud to say this project is about 90 percent done. On second thought........75 percent done. Yeah. Here's a pic!

7111099385_95e6ae1d7b.jpg

I have just been mindlessly sanding this thing.......Word of advice: If you decide to tackle this pep file, be prepared for an incredible amount of sanding, especially on the dome. IT NEVER ENDS!!!

Also, I wet sanded it last night out of boredom. I love wet sanding so much! More updates to come soon. If all goes well, I would like to have the forming buck for the visor done by then end of the week.

I put in a 7 hour marathon of work today in my shop......I would like to thank Justice And Daft Punk for keeping me sane while I was working.

Today I focused my efforts on the buck for the visor......Since I'm making mine out of acrylic, They need to be heat formed to the curve of the visor.

Pics!

7123092793_a101949093.jpg

Now you are probably thinking " what's so significant about some pieces of rounded wood?"

I'll tell you why it's significant. IT TOOK ME 5 HOURS. Yeah.....So much sanding.

6977009838_8b6da0b10e.jpg

I also made this jig so I could cut straighter lines with my dremel and the router attachment. This is, so far, my preferred way of cutting the acrylic.

Okay, well....More to follow tomorrow. Thanks for reading guys!

He doesn't really care. He's (the luckiest) 8 (year old).....so..........his attention span is about......4.2 seconds.
He thinks it's cool though.

i corrected your post for you

does he know/like daft punk or just think it's cool for what it is?

i hope he doesn't saying he has got a power rangers helmet to his friends, for your sake :)

i corrected your post for you

does he know/like daft punk or just think it's cool for what it is?

i hope he doesn't saying he has got a power rangers helmet to his friends, for your sake :)

Oh no, he knows Daft Punk......quite well actually. He even knows the names of the two guys. Guy is the gold helmet and thomas is the silver helmet!:$

Here are some pics of the mid seam.

Before clean up:

7228824808_109baf46f2.jpg

After clean up:

7228834012_8c02294940.jpg

7228837000_d3346bdde2.jpg

7228840834_bfe4f1d41c.jpg

7228848088_1ccff8a08a.jpg

To tell you the truth, I don't like it. I think I'm going to take the dremel to it again and make some parts of it deeper........it's just too subtle for my liking.......too soft.The depth of the cut is not uniform at all, so I'll make sure I fix that too. But other than that, this thing is done! All that's left to do now is make the ear pucks and put them on the helmet! WOO!

7228893792_d43cca2e2a.jpg

Is this the week Crank729 finishes his little bro's helmet? Can he make the mid seam nice and sharp? Will his ear pucks rock? Can he save the princess?

TUNE IN NEXT TIME TO FIND OUT!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back