D-Projects: Logan's Run-Deep Sleep Gun Builds - Electronic Version

Delmustator

Sr Member
This thread is to document my build of the fine Logan's Run : Deep Sleep Gun kit from Nicksdad.

For this project, I will be adding a Blaster Core v3 from Plecter Labs to provide the lights and sound effects desired. The BCv3 will be powered by dual 14450 Li-Ion batteries. I have not decided which LED I will use for the barrel flash effects at this time. I am leaning toward a Luxeon or Cree 3-watt Blue running at 700mA. I may also add small LEDs to simulate the TV version power settings. Not sure about that yet.

Here is the kit from Nicksdad...
257236_212338738800795_4879129_o.jpg

When I received the kit, I was worried. The box looked like Ace Ventura had gotten ahold of it. It was beat up pretty bad, thanks USPS! But it was well packaged and all parts were bubble wrapped.

So I lay everything out and start thinking about where to place everything.
241182_212338725467463_7857316_o.jpg

I wanted to possibly put the batteries in the rear gas chamber but after further observations, the required number of cells will not fit. Short of having a battery custom made, they have to go someplace else. Looking at the hand grips, with some minor modification, both the batteries and BC will fit in this area. With some minor drilling, a recharge port could also be added.

After modifying the hand grips, the only things left to do is solder the connections and program the BC.
251203_214231808611488_6831387_n.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Logan's Run : Deep Sleep Gun BCv3 Build

Oooh, cool! I just built one of these but not nearly as sophisticated. I look forward to seeing more!

The end cap on the gas chamber comes off; that might be a good spot for it. That way, to recharge, all you have to do is unscrew the cap and plug it in.

Huh Huh! I took a break from studying for my finals this week to do some soldering and whatnot. I finished installing and connecting the speaker and trigger to the Blaster Core. I haven't installed the primary LED yet. The only spare that I have is a yellow luxeon 1-watt. The test video is below.

Video via Facebook

As for the recharge port, I was thinking the same thing. Put it in the gas chamber, unscrew the cap to recharge. I have a couple of them from previous builds but I need to put a new one inside. I'll order one along with the LED.

Vimeo - http://vimeo.com/24691629

OK, back to studying....

Last edited:

Update: Everything except for the primary LED is connected. All other stuff is hot melt glued into place. The small microswitch you see to the right of the trigger is for accessing the main menu and selecting different sound banks. I have created the sound files from original Logan's Run movie clips.

251203_214231808611488_6831387_n.jpg

Last edited:

Update: Sound files are done and loaded. Video is going up on Vimeo now. Took me a while to get the sound fonts set. I assumed the config file was default and it was throwing me a curve ball by not playing my sound files. Anyhoo, Erv suggested I check it and sure enough, setting were wrong.. Oooppsss. Check that config file!

http://vimeo.com/24945975

Next action - Install the LED and paint that puppy.

Last edited:

That has to be the best DS gun I've seen. I can't wait till you get your Luxeon hooked up. Sure puts the one I built to shame! Great job!

I agree with Robiwon. When you are ready to paint it I would recommend the Duplicolor 1634 Low Gloss Black. It is a great and durable paint. Awesome job!!!!!

That looks so awesome, I may have to build another one!

Awesome Del. Are you using the clear tube with the Cree Led or just the Led? Great work!!!!

@Robiwon - thanks man! All that is left is the recharge port and paint.

@Jedibowls - No need for the clear tube on this one. That flash is from the Cree LED alone. I did add a 10 ohm (1/4 watt) resistor to it, giving it about 380mA. I ran one direct from the Blaster Core and the 1500 mA fried it instantly.. LOL

I may switch to a 4.7 ohm resistor to push it up to 800 mA. I've run these at 700 mA without issue. It's pretty darn bright at 380 mA. Sure gave me eye spots!

Del,

Quick question. I am running a 4.5 v pack( 3 AAAs) direct drive to a rebel Green. Would I need a resistor with this? Would it help at all( no sound card yet....) Thanks

Del,

Quick question. I am running a 4.5 v pack( 3 AAAs) direct drive to a rebel Green. Would I need a resistor with this? Would it help at all( no sound card yet....) Thanks

I'm not sure which one you have but using the ratings from this one: LXML-PM01-0100

Green (530 nm) Rebel LED
700 mA Recommended Max Current (3)
1000 mA Maximum Rated Drive Current
3.05 Vf Typical Forward Voltage (1)

LED calculator for single LEDs

1000 mA = The wizard recommends a 1.5 Watt capable or greater 1.5 ohm resistor. The color code for 1.5 ohms is brown green gold.

700 mA = The wizard recommends a 2W or greater 2.2 ohm resistor. The color code for 2.2 ohms is red red gold.

A single AAA can output around 1000 mA. In series, the amps remain the same but the voltage is increased. So your probably running at the amp limit of the LED. In this case, the duration that amperage is applied to the LED is short. Adding a resistor will reduce the amperage and give longer life to the LED. If you run it at max amperage for an extended amount of time, it could overheat and fry.

Then again, I could be off my rocker. It's been a while since I did component level repair work so my calculations are ancient. That's why I use the online wizard.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back