D.C.'s The Flash (tv series)

http://nerdreactor.com/2015/03/24/superman-flash-series/

Superman may be coming to The Flash! And guess who might be playing him?!?!
By Alex Rodriguez | March 24, 2015 - 6:51 pm | Comics, TV
Tweet52 Share26 Share5.3K

Superman-600x337.jpg

When Smallville left us with a…how should I put this… an ending I guess, we have been hit with a pretty fantastic slew of DC-related super hero shows. First came Arrow, which spun-off The Flash. We then got Gotham, Constantine and an upcoming Supergirl show as well as an as-yet unnamed “All-Series” crossover project. But what people have truly been clamoring for is a show that incorporates all of the major members of the Justice League up to and including the Trinity of Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman. We’re still a ways off from something like that happening, however that doesn’t mean we can’t get a few cameos here and there. And one of the BIGGEST may be coming in Season 2 of The Flash.

Now take this with a grain of salt, but rumors coming from dccomicsmovie.com suggest that Superman may be making an appearance on the series…in his own Universe! Here’s the excerpt:

Now normally we don’t report on rumors, but this one seems to be based on a semi-confirmation. According to Comic Central City Greg Berlanti talked at a CW Event stating that Superman may appear in Season 2 of The Flash and he will be played by Tom Welling, who is known for playing Clark Kent/The Blur on The WB/CW’s Smallville for 10 Seasons.

Apparently the events of the Season Finale will cause Barry to end up in an alternate universe (the Smallville Universe). Not only that but Cisco and Caitlin will develop meta-human abilities. Now the idea of Tom Welling appearing as Superman makes sense in the context of the story, when Barry changes his mother’s fate he returns to another version of the universe, Smallville introduced us to the multi-universe concept and with Infinite Crisis being a developing story on The Flash it’s not too far off.

There’s also this little snippet of info we glanced at a while back…

1964814_10152988393083876_14978088312825541_n.jpg

Looks like there may already be a cross-over idea in the minds of the writers. Pretty sick, right? I mean, if the rumors are true, and they DO go this route…think of all the other possibilities!

What if this is an idea that could possibly re-introduce other versions of heroes that have appeared on television before? This may be a little out there, but imagine Barry not only visiting Smallville, but going on to visit an older, but still amazingly-beautiful Wonder Woman played by none other than Linda Carter?!? Where is the Wonder Woman of the ’70s today?!? Or better yet, what if Barry also visited a couple of crazy old coots in Gotham City? Not the current Gotham you see on FOX…but the one from the ’60s universe? And not only that…what if Adam West and Burt Ward reprised their roles as the elderly Dynamic Duo?! We could even go to the alternate version of Coast City…and see the other Flash from 1991, the one played by Barry’s father in the current series, John Wesley Shipp. What a fantastic way to stitch the two series together besides cameos, right?!?

As awesome as all of that sounds, it may be a little far-fetched, and due to copyrights, licensing yadda yadda blah blah blah, we’ll probably never get as epic a crossover as all that. Still though, the introduction of Superman from an alternate universe (that has already been established) makes for a pretty awesome team-up. And who knows?!? Maybe, through all this, DC will agree that a small screen version of ALL of their heroes is just as good as big screen collaboration, and may prove to be something even Marvel hasn’t touched yet…alternate universes. That’s your thing DC! Make it happen!!!

Do you want to see Tom Welling’s Superman appear in the Flash? Or do you think that role should be better left open for other reasons, including the idea of a new Superman show? Sound off in the comments below!

Superman-smallville1.jpg

If they do this, and do it right, it could be quite the tour de force.

I'm on board. How about you guys?

A chance to see Tom Welling ACTUALLY be Superman? Even if it it a one shot/cross universe thing...SIGN ME UP!

While I would love to see Welling as the alternate universe Superman (he could still be this universes Superman if they wanted to make it so), I doubt it will happen. What I woul dlike to see is Barry going to an alternate universe and meeting Jay Garrick (Golden Age Flash). This could lead to future Flash/Golden Age Flash team ups and crossovers. Very reminiscent to the comics (since this was the first true Earth 1/Earth 2 crossover).

What do you all think?

Did anyone find it odd that Harrison Wells appears to be able to drink alcohol and feel its effects, while Barry can't?

I thought Arrow's episode would come first? I mean, sequentially...

...wouldn't Oliver have to abandon the League before teaming with the Flash? Otherwise, the timeline wouldn't make sense.

Crossovers in shows like these (not episodic, but with evolving storylines) are always kind of awkward, because it's hard to tell where the characters are in their own evolution, and often it's plain that the actors aren't sure either. So you get sort of a generic, surface version of the character popping in.

I haven't really found that to be the case with these two shows so far. The crossovers mostly felt pretty solid. My confusion is more about the timeline issues. At the moment...

Oliver is the Heir to the Demon, but is planning to betray R'as, and is transporting a killer virus to Starling City.

Yet...he's gonna team up with Barry and the rest of the do-gooders? It doesn't really make a ton of sense, considering Flash episodes are supposed to run before Arrow episodes, and lead in to Arrow episodes pretty often. Basically, you always watch Flash first, and then watch Arrow, unless there's no new Flash episode but there is a new Arrow one.

So, what I don't get is why Oliver as Al Kabong is going to show up all dressed in swanky black League duds, and then work ALONGSIDE heroes when he's still supposedly undercover.

Last edited:
We don't know which timeline everything is happening in on either show. Since Barry altered the timeline, who knows what is happening or when

The alteration to the timeline from Barry going back a day was relatively minor, and the shows have crossed over since then so I don't see any reason to assume they've diverged. More likely is that the writing staffs are doing their own things and either didn't worry about the continuity matching up this week or someone missed a memo.

How awesome was that fight between Reverse Flash and Flash, Firestorm and Al-Sah-Him! I thought they were going make us wait till the season finale.

I really enjoyed tonight's episode. I'm just hoping that they

stop making Wells do the blurred face and distorted voice. I understand them doing it to mask his identity, but now that it's known, I'd love to see a real Barry VS Eobard showdown. Tom plays intimidating so well as it is, so the voice was totally unnecessary in tonight's fight scene. That was my only gripe with it though. The way they kind of did slowmo for wells suit popping out of the ring.. perfect!

I know its somewhat redundant to complain about realism in an episode with a giant psychic gorilla and a man who runs at the speed of sound, but if Grood jumped immediately at Barry after the first train got out the way and was immediately hit by another train, then there are two trains in the same tunnel only a second or two apart, which seems a recipe for disaster.

Speaking of which, how well does a train cab hold up when hitting a 5 ton giant gorilla at 100mph?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back