D.C.'s Supergirl (tv series)

RED TORNADO was good guy in the comics. Thought they did him well here. Would have liked to see him become a hero to help her from time to time.

They really need to put a little more time and budget into some of these villain costumes. That Red Tornado costume looked like it was made out old couch cushions.

And I just really don't care for that Cory Feldman lookalike guy.

Last edited:
I'd really really like to see Brandon Routh again in this role… :( but he's now Ray Palmer…

so, how do you have kara meet a 13 year old super boy? Clark was an adult when she arrived on earth. unless you are saying he wasn't, and that he was flying around as superman at 14 years old..and that is kind of silly.

I don't know. it's like the creators of this show where more fans of the flash than supergirl. Supergirl just seems kind of half assed, where as flash is fun from week on out.
maybe they where just given this show and said, 'here, see what you can do with it..'

I'd really really like to see Brandon Routh again in this role… :( but he's now Ray Palmer…

I think brandon was the perfect modern clark kent... not so much superman.
I'm still hoping for tom welling in the suit ;o). considering his post superman career didn't go anywhere, maybe he'd be more open to it ;o)

seems ratings have dropped steadily for supergirl. not really surprised. it's not a bad show, but it's nowhere near as fun or good or well done as flash.

I think brandon was the perfect modern clark kent... not so much superman.
I'm still hoping for tom welling in the suit ;o). considering his post superman career didn't go anywhere, maybe he'd be more open to it ;o)

seems ratings have dropped steadily for supergirl. not really surprised. it's not a bad show, but it's nowhere near as fun or good or well done as flash.

Just to play Devil's advocate here... you do realize that Supergirl pulls in lowest viewing number so far (last week - 1.5) equals The Flash's, average ratings (1.4 to 1.5) right?

Just to play Devil's advocate here... you do realize that Supergirl pulls in lowest viewing number so far (last week - 1.5) equals The Flash's, average ratings (1.4 to 1.5) right?

nope. I'm just reporting what I heard elsewhere on media reports ;o). Guess it might not be totally accurate!

Heh... you aren't wrong... the viewership for Supergirl has dropped by about half since its premier (3.0), but it had an uptick to 1.6 this week.

It's biggest challenge is that it's going head to head against Gotham where as The Flash is up against The Muppets in terms of similar genre type shows in its time slot...

Heh... you aren't wrong... the viewership for Supergirl has dropped by about half since its premier (3.0), but it had an uptick to 1.6 this week.

It's biggest challenge is that it's going head to head against Gotham where as The Flash is up against The Muppets in terms of similar genre type shows in its time slot...

The problem is that Gotham seemed like a good one to go up against ratings-wise, but then they had to go and start getting good...

SPECULATION TIME!

What is up with Henshaw's glowing red eyes toward the end of the episode? Good guy, or bad guy?

I'm wondering if he could be Martian Manhunter. Being on an alien monitoring team makes a lot of sense, and he did drop that little nugget about how he had a family (implying that he no longer does, which is true for the Manhunter). Thoughts?

Looks like they threw us a red herring, as the same character. CALLED IT!

Huh... someone hand me a fork so I can start eating this crow.

At least they did the Henshaw=MM in a way that made sense instead of just a name switch.

So, what do you figure happened to her foster father?

Well, it's Dean Cain, so he's obviously not dead and will come back later in the show, I'd bet.

reports on facebook they want to cast a 13 year old superman for supergirl. apparently an episode exploring the history of the two characters.

however, if clark was an adult when she landed on earth..and kara was older than clark to begin with, the ages don't work out.

Who says they have to meet? I see several possibilities: Firstly, like The Mad Professor says, it could be a flashback - doesn't even have to be Superman/Clark telling it to her, could be the Kents, or Jimmy telling her something Clark told him.

Another option could be the old 'hero gets turned onto a child' trope. A weird kryptonite dealie, or even a parallel world/alternate timeline where Kara and Kal-El arrived at the same time, then you get an episode where Kara deals with her original mission of looking after her cousin.

The casting call could even be deliberately misleading and they want a boy to play 'kid with super powers' in some sort of flash-forward/dream sequence where Kara imagines having a super-son someday. So I wouldn't dismiss it, or suggest the writers don't know what they're doing, just because "the ages don't match".

I would bet it's a flashback, or a parallel backstory episode showing Kara at that age, and Clark at that age.

RED TORNADO was good guy in the comics. Thought they did him well here. Would have liked to see him become a hero to help her from time to time.

Technically, they got the origin correct. Red Tornado was created by T.O. Morrow, but became good later.

There's also a big difference between a 1.6 on CBS and a 1.5 on CW...

Very true, but CBS also owns Supergirl. With the full season order, it's very likely that the show will stick around for another season. Also, apparently, the scripted average on CBS right now is around a 1.6, according to TV By the Numbers' Renew/Cancel Index. It's possible that this will change next week, but even so, it seems like the show's holding its own.

As for comparisons to the Flash, let's not forget that the Flash had sort of a slow start as well. Personally, I'm really enjoying the show. I think the difficulty they have is with the f/x, given that making convincing-looking super strength feats look good with a TV f/x budget is...a stretch. I give it a pass, though, and assume that in the future, they'll get a larger budget.

-EDIT-

Two other observations, both about Calista's performance on the show.

1. Why does she keep calling Kara "Kira"? Is this intentional? Does she not actually know the character's name? Is it just her weird way of pronouncing the name? My wife noticed this and now I can't un-hear it when she says it, and it's driving me nuts.

2. I don't know if she's had botox or if they're applying some odd CG filter to her face, but there's this really weird quality to it in closeup shots where she looks almost "too" soft/smooth in her T-zone, but has clear age lines at the edges. It's visually fairly distracting.

None of this affects the quality of her performance otherwise, mind you, and I actually am really enjoying the character and her portrayal of her, but there are these two distracting things that kind of "take me out of it."

Last edited:
Well, it's Dean Cain, so he's obviously not dead and will come back later in the show, I'd bet.

I know it's a bit twisted, but I really want to see him return like this: Jeremiah Danvers' body, Henshaw's brain, and cybernetics to hold it all together.

Two other observations, both about Calista's performance on the show.

1. Why does she keep calling Kara "Kira"? Is this intentional? Does she not actually know the character's name? Is it just her weird way of pronouncing the name? My wife noticed this and now I can't un-hear it when she says it, and it's driving me nuts.

I call it an artifice of Cat's uncaring nature about her subordinates. She doesn't really know her workers all that well. Hell, she didn't even know who Winn was, and he sits across from Kara.

2. I don't know if she's had botox or if they're applying some odd CG filter to her face, but there's this really weird quality to it in closeup shots where she looks almost "too" soft/smooth in her T-zone, but has clear age lines at the edges. It's visually fairly distracting.

I just call it bad plastic surgery on Calista Flockhart's part.

Yeah, the kira thing is her trying to give the impression that she doesn't care enough about her to remember her name. Yet, in the episode where Kara yells out her and Cat takes her to lunch sheet pointedly called her Kara at one point.

Yeah, the kira thing is her trying to give the impression that she doesn't care enough about her to remember her name. Yet, in the episode where Kara yells out her and Cat takes her to lunch sheet pointedly called her Kara at one point.

Yeah, it must be a character choice. I did notice that, too. It's just sort of an odd quirk.

The face thing...who knows. Frankly, it pisses me off that women are held to a standard of not looking like they age in Hollywood. It leads to very unnatural-looking results, which is only further highlighted when someone like Helen Slater is on the screen and who either has had nothing done, or who went to someone who was worth every penny and made it look like she's had nothing done. I mean, chrissakes, Calista Flockheart is 51. She's allowed to have a few lines, and yet they shoot her and it's like you see lines at the edge of her forehead, but the center portion looks like they digitally airbrushed them out and now she appears to be a freaking Auton. It's weird.

catching up on some backlogged superigirl episodes.

I WANT to like supergirl, but there are just little things that just bug me...

I guess because this is a girl power show apparently, now the president is a woman too? I about groaned at that line.
I realize that superman is powerful and people are fearful of her power, but it just seems wrong that they would get so bent out of shape at her breaking a jerk car drivers hand after saving a bunch of kids. especially after he tried to punch her. of course, she could have just stood there and absorbed it. but being new, a reactionary move shouldn't have been so big a deal with superman probably having done the same thing.

lets see what else red faced has to throw at us.

so, she looses control because her would be boy friend is with a dick of a girlfriend? isn't that kind of like two steps forward, two steps back for a girl power show?

brow rubbing....

- clarks not angry because he's a man? at least they didn't say white man....whoops,,,wait a minute, there goes jimmy saying 'black men arn't encouraged to get angry in public... sigh.

Last edited:
catching up on some backlogged superigirl episodes.

I WANT to like supergirl, but there are just little things that just bug me...

I guess because this is a girl power show apparently, now the president is a woman too? I about groaned at that line.
I realize that superman is powerful and people are fearful of her power, but it just seems wrong that they would get so bent out of shape at her breaking a jerk car drivers hand after saving a bunch of kids. especially after he tried to punch her. of course, she could have just stood there and absorbed it. but being new, a reactionary move shouldn't have been so big a deal with superman probably having done the same thing.

lets see what else red faced has to throw at us.

so, she looses control because her would be best friend is with a dick of a girlfriend? isn't that kind of like two steps forward, two steps back for a girl power show?

brow rubbing....

- clarks not angry because he's a man? at least they didn't say white man....whoops,,,wait a minute, there goes jimmy saying 'black men arn't encouraged to get angry in public... sigh.

In the last episode, they said Superman doesn't kill. Apparently, they've never read the comics and sure didn't watch the last movie. Superman kills plenty.

In the last episode, they said Superman doesn't kill. Apparently, they've never read the comics and sure didn't watch the last movie. Superman kills plenty.

it's pretty clear they are trying for a more light hearted show, and just going for action adventure fun. which I like. but then they add in all these weird social messages, or current topics. like police body camera's that just kind of take you out of it for some reason. it's like it's trying to be current and throwback at the same time.

Also, did anyone get a serious 'vision' vibe from 'red tornado?' other than the human face, thought that was cool. I didn't buy the actor for general lane, either. he didn't come off as rough and tough so much as dis interested.

it's pretty clear they are trying for a more light hearted show, and just going for action adventure fun. which I like. but then they add in all these weird social messages, or current topics. like police body camera's that just kind of take you out of it for some reason. it's like it's trying to be current and throwback at the same time.

Also, did anyone get a serious 'vision' vibe from 'red tornado?' other than the human face, thought that was cool. I didn't buy the actor for general lane, either. he didn't come off as rough and tough so much as dis interested.

I don't care what tone you are going for, blatantly ignoring reality is foolish. Superman kills. If they don't want to acknowledge that, fine, just don't bring it up. What I honestly don't like about the series are the blatant feminist messages. It's one thing to be feminist, it's another to continually beat people over the head with it. That just makes it obnoxious.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back