D.C.'s Supergirl (tv series)

so, i'm watching this series when I get the chance.

the thing that pisses me off and confuses me about this show.. they seem to have the perfect jimmy olsen in kara's co worker. the kid who sets up her super secret office. he even wore a goofy old style bow tie to that fancy party. and yet, I can't help but wonder, if they made jimmy a stud, because that's what girl power shows like to do. they think that's who the women watching would rather see kara hooked up with. not the nerdy tech guy. They are doing the same thing in ghostbusters by making thor (A guy with no comedy chops) the new secretary in a comedy movie. My only guess is, someone as a comic fan realized this, and made them include this redundant office character as the 'real' jimmy olsen for those of us that hate the change over. it's the only thing that makes sense to me. But I like stories where the nerdy guy gets the girl, nerdy or otherwise. when you change jimmy into a stud...there's no drama. of course he's going to go after her, and most likely get her in the end. as is evident with the cute lane sister. someone the real nerdy jimmy probably wouldn't have gone after.

the other thing I hope this show doesn't fall back on is the love triangle. I got real sick of stuff like that in smallville.

oh, and is the head of the alien task force the martian manhunter? only character I can think of since he seems willing to work with super girl.

so, i'm watching this series when I get the chance.

the thing that pisses me off and confuses me about this show.. they seem to have the perfect jimmy olsen in kara's co worker. the kid who sets up her super secret office. he even wore a goofy old style bow tie to that fancy party. and yet, I can't help but wonder, if they made jimmy a stud, because that's what girl power shows like to do. they think that's who the women watching would rather see kara hooked up with. not the nerdy tech guy. They are doing the same thing in ghostbusters by making thor (A guy with no comedy chops) the new secretary in a comedy movie. My only guess is, someone as a comic fan realized this, and made them include this redundant office character as the 'real' jimmy olsen for those of us that hate the change over. it's the only thing that makes sense to me. But I like stories where the nerdy guy gets the girl, nerdy or otherwise. when you change jimmy into a stud...there's no drama. of course he's going to go after her, and most likely get her in the end. as is evident with the cute lane sister. someone the real nerdy jimmy probably wouldn't have gone after.

Some information here:

1) Jimmy Olsen is already an established, Pulitzer-prize winning photojournalist at the beginning of the show. He's been right in the thick of things with Lois (something that you have to have testicles of tungsten in order to do) and has been in places doing his job where normal people would crawl into a corner and whimper. When you're exposed to that on a regular basis, you develop a thick skin and a level of personal confidence that will overcome any previous nervousness. Jimmy is not some bumbling rookie photojournalist anymore. He has matured under the tutelage of both Lois and Clark and become his own person.

2) Winn Schott is not a "nerdy tech guy Jimmy stand-in." He is the son of Winslow Schott, aka The Toymaker, and comes by his tech skills honestly.

3) Even comic-book Jimmy got together with Lucy Lane for a while, so it isn't some one-off thing for the show to create a romantic rival for Kara. I just wonder if they're going to follow the comics storyline for Lucy... it's really cool and somewhat screwed up.

oh, and is the head of the alien task force the martian manhunter? only character I can think of since he seems willing to work with super girl.

Google "Hank Henshaw DC" for your answer.

I was taken aback a bit by this week's episode "Livewire," thinking that something felt off about it. Come to find out that, in the wake of the Paris attacks, CBS decided to switch episode 5 and episode 4 of Supergirl out of sensitivity to what happened in Paris. Episode 4, which will air next week, was about Supergirl having to stop a series of bombings around the city. Smart of CBS to switch the episodes.

Some information here:

1) Jimmy Olsen is already an established, Pulitzer-prize winning photojournalist at the beginning of the show. He's been right in the thick of things with Lois (something that you have to have testicles of tungsten in order to do) and has been in places doing his job where normal people would crawl into a corner and whimper. When you're exposed to that on a regular basis, you develop a thick skin and a level of personal confidence that will overcome any previous nervousness. Jimmy is not some bumbling rookie photojournalist anymore. He has matured under the tutelage of both Lois and Clark and become his own person.

2) Winn Schott is not a "nerdy tech guy Jimmy stand-in." He is the son of Winslow Schott, aka The Toymaker, and comes by his tech skills honestly.

3) Even comic-book Jimmy got together with Lucy Lane for a while, so it isn't some one-off thing for the show to create a romantic rival for Kara. I just wonder if they're going to follow the comics storyline for Lucy... it's really cool and somewhat screwed up.

my superman knowledge is limited to the movies, and animated series and batman series. I avoid the comics because most comics these days, especially rebooted comics, tend to be so convoluted that they aren't worth getting into.

I was aware of the toy maker, thanks to the animated series, but no idea he had a son. as for jimmy, I guess that's the 'updated for modern times' jimmy. which to me, is rather boring. I prefer the older characterization of jimmy. the nerdy kid who gets into a lot of hot water and either thinks out of it himself with help from superman, or totally thanks to superman. when you make him super smart and savy, he just kind of blends in with everyone else.

and who says nerdy tech guys don't come by their skills honestly? ;o). I think if you where going to update jimmy, while still keeping some sense of who he was in the past, that Winn would be the way to do it. this new re invention of a confident, go getter jimmy, regardless of race, just doesn't sit right with me...just like the smallville re invention of an angry, distrusting jimmy (as I recall) wasn't any fun either.

I have yet to watch livewire yet. My only exposure to this character was as the animated series DJ shock jock turned super villain.

as for jimmy, I guess that's the 'updated for modern times' jimmy. which to me, is rather boring. I prefer the older characterization of jimmy. the nerdy kid who gets into a lot of hot water and either thinks out of it himself with help from superman, or totally thanks to superman. when you make him super smart and savy, he just kind of blends in with everyone else.

That aspect of himself actually comes into play in episode 3.

and who says nerdy tech guys don't come by their skills honestly? ;o).

Sorry, I should have clarified this a bit. What I mean is that his character has a canon history and a justifiable reason why he would be a tech-whiz, as opposed to an original character created as an "Old-Jimmy-Clone."

I think if you where going to update jimmy, while still keeping some sense of who he was in the past, that Winn would be the way to do it. this new re invention of a confident, go getter jimmy, regardless of race, just doesn't sit right with me...

I was taken aback by it at first as well, but the character grew on me, especially in episode 3.

just like the smallville re invention of an angry, distrusting jimmy (as I recall) wasn't any fun either.

To be fair, that wasn't the actual Jimmy Olsen that we know, but his older brother.

I have yet to watch livewire yet. My only exposure to this character was as the animated series DJ shock jock turned super villain.

Funny story: Much like Harley Quinn, Livewire was a character created for the animated series that became popular enough to port into the actual comics, and now has a live-action portrayal.

I'm on ep3.

I don't mind cool Jimmy. He did mention that used to be awkward, and I like the actor. Also like dorky friend as the new Jimmy.

Really liking her portrayal of Kara/Supergirl.

Still having trouble getting past the overdone cliche monster, as played by Calista Flockhart. I'll commit to buying the season if one of you further along tells me that they push her off the building in later episode and shes replaced by boss who isn't even more of a cartoon character than the super heroes are.

I dunno, it's hard to believe this is the same team that put together the Flash. Flash I enjoyed from the start with very little complaint. I didn't know that franchise as much, so oddly the race switch of iris and her father didn't bother me as much, as I wasn't as attached to the characters.

problems with show so far.
- hip jimmy has to go (likable actor, but not jimmy olsen)
- cat grant is a totally unlikable character. she also seems to be there so the writer can use her for these 'women empowerment speeches'. it's not 1960 anymore. everyone has it tough ;o)
- any show that mentions the kardashians more than once just irks me on principle.
- no deeper plot narrative. flash sets things up and brings things back up. Supergirl, even though only a few episodes in, seems to be stuck in the 'set up villain' 'beat villain to a pulp' scheme. even smallville went past that after a while, so hopefully they will too.

I don't know. I find myself looking forward to Flash and shows like Agent Carter every week. not so much with supergirl. I like MB as Kara. she's the perfect choice for it. the other actors do a fine job as well, even hip jimmy. but something about this show just rubs me the wrong way. and it all started with an incredibly bad and rushed pilot.

it'd be hillarious if and when they decide to show superman, it's tom welling in the suit. As I recall, he didn't want to do a full on superman shot set because it'd hurt his career. seeing as how he hasn't been heard from much since...probably not the best career choice; o).

I didn't care for the political reference to existing politicians of the moment.
Utterly rips one out of that world back into this one.
Other than that I enjoyed the latest episode.
Though they skipped one since there was bomb plotline that
was too close to current events, so hopefully it airs at some point.

Yeah, the Colista Flockheart character is a little hard to take. I've known many snobs in my life but no one that ever took it to that level.

I believe Calista's character is a spin on the Meryl Streep boss-from-hell character in The Devil Wears Prada. In the most recent episode it seems the writers are trying to show that beneath her relentless egomonster exterior she's actually human.

The show has a lot of heart and the actors are good, but the characters need depth. Right now it's a cast of cliche's. And is it a kids' show? I'm still not sure who its trying to reach. I'm really trying to like this show but it needs work.

The show has a lot of heart and the actors are good, but the characters need depth. Right now it's a cast of cliche's. And is it a kids' show? I'm still not sure who its trying to reach. I'm really trying to like this show but it needs work.

that's my opinion of it too. I like what it's TRYING to do, but it seems like a continuation of what smallville started, more than what the flash is trying to do. probably not an accurate description, but it's the best way I can think of to describe it.

so, how do you have kara meet a 13 year old super boy? Clark was an adult when she arrived on earth. unless you are saying he wasn't, and that he was flying around as superman at 14 years old..and that is kind of silly.

I don't know. it's like the creators of this show where more fans of the flash than supergirl. Supergirl just seems kind of half assed, where as flash is fun from week on out.
maybe they where just given this show and said, 'here, see what you can do with it..'

so, how do you have kara meet a 13 year old super boy? Clark was an adult when she arrived on earth. unless you are saying he wasn't, and that he was flying around as superman at 14 years old..and that is kind of silly.

Not sure where you are going with this...

reports on facebook they want to cast a 13 year old superman for supergirl. apparently an episode exploring the history of the two characters.

however, if clark was an adult when she landed on earth..and kara was older than clark to begin with, the ages don't work out.

reports on facebook they want to cast a 13 year old superman for supergirl. apparently an episode exploring the history of the two characters.

however, if clark was an adult when she landed on earth..and kara was older than clark to begin with, the ages don't work out.

It could be a flashback for Clark as tells Kara about when he first started really using his powers.

Who says they have to meet? I see several possibilities: Firstly, like The Mad Professor says, it could be a flashback - doesn't even have to be Superman/Clark telling it to her, could be the Kents, or Jimmy telling her something Clark told him.
Another option could be the old 'hero gets turned onto a child' trope. A weird kryptonite dealie, or even a parallel world/alternate timeline where Kara and Kal-El arrived at the same time, then you get an episode where Kara deals with her original mission of looking after her cousin.
The casting call could even be deliberately misleading and they want a boy to play 'kid with super powers' in some sort of flash-forward/dream sequence where Kara imagines having a super-son someday. So I wouldn't dismiss it, or suggest the writers don't know what they're doing, just because "the ages don't match".

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back