100_1288.jpg

Light bar:
100_1848.jpg

Finished Display:
100_1352.jpg

100_1354.jpg

100_1581.jpg

Video:
http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll74/JtotheP/?action=view&current=100_1590.flv

The light bar for now is too fast. I bought this bar at a motorcycle supply web site. I'm having Timeslip-a fellow chap here at the RPF-make me a custom bar that works just like the show.:love

Dude, you have SERIOUS skills ! How do you maintain near perfect symmetry in your sculpts ?

Thanks all for the warm replies.

It takes alot of bondo, sanding, filing, caliper checks, more bondo, more sanding, and did I mention sanding to get acceptable symmetry.

Love it. I don't know what's more impressive. The great sculpt or you sick mlding techniques! Well done mate:)

Regards
TAZ

Wow again, you do simply amazing work. If you ever get the time or the inclination, starting a separate thread detailing your molding techniques would be greatly appreciated!! I am as impressed by those as your sculpting and painting skills.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fantastic work! It's always good to see a build in steps. What materials did you use for everything?

Thanks guys for all the compliments! It means a lot coming from you fellas here at the RPF.

Materials I used are:
Sculpture--Urethane foam which I was able to resin coat right over the top without the resin eating the foam like it does with white foam. Then I bondoed some areas to improve shape and detailing. After that I sprayed a high building polyester sandable primer. Sanded it ultra smooth and spray painted it a high gloss surface for molding.
Molding--Cheap oil based clay for future silicone, fiberglass jacket, and Mold Max 30 from Smooth On.
Casting--Gel Cote, and fiberglass.
Paint--Epoxy primer, Matthews polyurethane acrylic paint "Sparkle Silver" and High gloss clear from Matthews as well.
The base is made of aluminum.
Light bar is a Knight Riderz bar from Custom Dynamics LLC motorcycle custom light supply web site. The bar is run by a nine volt battery and toggle switch.
The lens is cut from a face shield I bought from a welding supply shop.

thanks for responding. can you tell us what density the foam is? and if it was a block or something you casted. thanks.

The foam I used was a left over piece of 2 lb density urethane foam out of a 4'X8'X2' block from another project where I used to work. So it wasn't something I casted (not a bad idea though). The foam came from an insulation company called SPI or specialty products & insulation co. The smallest block you can get is a 4'X4'X2' block which is mucho expensive at approx. $400.00. The foam is awesome to carve from. You can even use your finger for rubbing in shapes and smoothing it out, but the dust is a nightmare-and hope you don't get any in your eyes:cry

You do some amazing work, as someone else said your sculpting is as great as your molding and finishing.

I too would love to see even more molding and preparation pictures within the behind the scenes if you have any available.

Tyler

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back