Cyborg Ninja (Metal Gear Solid) - pics of completed costume

Re: Cyborg Ninja (Metal Gear Solid)

My god I am jealous and envious of your talents! I'm a HUGE MGS fan, only reason why I bought a PS3 was for MGS4...hahah

I will follow this until it's complete. Are you going to make Gray Fox's Helmet only or are you also going to do Raiden's as well?

6500116455_6163dacde5_z.jpg

Fantastic! This one is going to be amazing.

My god I am jealous and envious of your talents! I'm a HUGE MGS fan, only reason why I bought a PS3 was for MGS4...hahah

I will follow this until it's complete. Are you going to make Gray Fox's Helmet only or are you also going to do Raiden's as well?

Only Gray Fox. I've only played the first MGS, maybe someday I'll actually get around to playing the rest.

That's true, if you want the file for Raiden's Helmet I have it.
EDIT: Ah hell here's the file.
MGS Raiden Helmet.pdo

Thanks but for now I don't have plans for Raiden. Maybe someone else will be able to put it to good use.

I like the build but the eyes look a little to big. They are more thin in the game.

Hmm, I can kind of see that now too but I designed all the lines based on the art from the art book since it shows all the different views. I specifically measured the eye height based on relationship to the central eye so maybe the central eye is a tad large as well? But then again, in some of the art the width of the eye slots are just so far apart that it wouldn't have been possible for him to see out of. Another thing is that a lot of the times you see him in game his head is tilted down so that might make the eyes look even more narrow.

Either way I don't think I'm really planning on changing the eye height at this point. Besides, with the current height I can see out of it pretty well whereas if it was thinner it would start obscuring vision. The last thing I want is for someone to have to lead me around when I'm wearing this because I can't actually see out of it.

I've been working the last few days on several rounds of filling, priming, and sanding. It's been sanded up to 600 grit wet sanding so it's very smooth. I have a link to my JY interest thread a few posts up so if you're interested PLEASE reply in that thread. I don't have a set price since it's kind of pending how much interest there is. I'm also not sure how much this kind of piece normally goes for. It's difficult to compare this to something as mainstream as Iron Man or Stormtrooper helmets in terms of both demand and output.

Pictures of the completed master.

6562287589_034a197e90_z.jpg

6562279123_31443809ce_z.jpg

6562282013_35d0d9362d_z.jpg

6562284533_8495c4623f_z.jpg

Quick update: For those who have not checked out the interest thread yet, I'm setting the price for casts at 150.

I just placed an order for all the mold making materials, only the best: Rebound 25, Smoothcast 65D and Plasti Paste. That stuff is expensive so I went ahead and ordered the gallon sizes of everything to save a bit on cost.

Just to double check with you guys, I can only use NSP clay when working with Rebound 25 since it's a silicone rubber correct?

Please show us how u are going to make it open in the face. \o

I'll be using neodymium magnets since it's easier than designing a sliding hinge system. I know it's possible but in the interest of time I think magnets will be the faster method.

I'll try to get some pictures up later tonight but so far I've got all the pieces covered in Rebound 25. I'm going to wait a full day for it to fully cure before applying the mother mold. I've got 4 layers of silicone rubber on there (print coat, 2nd coat, 3rd thickened coat, 4th normal coat to smooth final surface). That should be enough right? It's on thick enough that I can't see the color of the primer through the silicone anymore (it was still visible after the 2nd coat).

Also, are there recommendations on sizing and height of registration keys? I made some that are about 3cm thick and I also made some using a paint palette but those round ones are only about 1.5cm thick. The thicker ones started out as round pucks but I cut them down into halves and quarters.

That looks so great, thanks for putting up such a detailed step-by-step, I'm marveling!

Been hard at work the last few days making the mold. The materials came in last Thursday and I went straight to work.

Here's a picture of the first pull. I had a few issues here and there but the main reason is that it was my first time using these materials and methods.

390007_691124424106_15503795_34019815_1385763844_n.jpg

The INT thread in the JY has been changed to a FS one.

What are you going to be doing with the one cast you had issues with, I love messed up stuff.

I'll sell it if someone wants it. I'm not even sure how much to charge for it. It's "usable" as in all the pieces are the right shape and the edges are correct in that they should fit. There's some areas that are a bit thinner and some areas in the back piece that got shifted because I took one side of the mother mold off too early (I ended up adding another layer or two of resin) so it shifted some. Basically, it'll take some work. I'm actually fairly happy with how it's turned out for my first foray into molding and casting.

Re: Cyborg Ninja (Metal Gear Solid) - first raw cast

Looking good!

Now make with the Paint and lights!!!!!

:)

Nick

What! You're working on the other parts and no progress pics on those! J.K. Progress pics when you can. Can't wait to see them...

Here are some pictures of where the sword is at right now (pretty much only need to wrap the handle). It's made from poplar and sintra. The tsuba and habaki are separate pieces and can actually be removed. I could have glued it all together but I thought it was a neat touch.

379394_691602271496_15503795_34021943_836915633_n.jpg

405826_691602770496_15503795_34021944_1117557585_n.jpg

383597_691603159716_15503795_34021945_1150430728_n.jpg

On a somewhat related note, if you still want a cast please let me know in my JY thread or via PM. I still need confirmation even if you initially expressed interest when it was still an INT thread.

Looks nice, I woud like to see someone make Raiden's Sword from the new MGS trailer.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back