Done / Completed CW Jay Garrick Flash Helmet - Run is a go! 3 spots left!

Awesome! Share your techniques?

Sure!
First, I sanded everything. Starting off with lower 80 grit paper and went to 800 grit, for the smoothest finish.

Next, I spray painted the helmet dark brown and then I painted in layers with acrylics. Used a brush, sponge and paper towel to apply.
Silver chrome then I added some gunmetal and bronze, then black and chrome again, until I got the desired, weathered, look.

For the ear wings, I first spray painted metallic gold. Then did a similar process with other golds and mixtures with blacks for darker golds/browns.
The lines and grooves were a darker color. Mixture of black and emperor gold acrylics.

I sanded and snapped the pegs off the bottoms of the ear wings and super glued a rare earth magnet (N35 strength, 8mm x 2mm size, I believe)
Lined up my drill (with a hole cutter attachment) at the right angle and went through the sides of the helmet.
Another magnet was simply squeezed in that new space.

I then super glued MORE magnets (N35 strength, 10mm x 3mm size) to the inside of the helmet
and fashioned a strap system from left-over, leather belts and elastics and tried to make it look like the show's (from my earlier post, in this thread)
So magnets on the inside of the helmet and on the straps. (Everything can be taken out)

I also added foam AROUND that strap system, so the helmet wouldn't wiggle. (Magnets glued to the back of the foam)

I think that's all haha.
IMG_20160922_161418.jpg

Sure!
First, I sanded everything. Starting off with lower 80 grit paper and went to 800 grit, for the smoothest finish.

Next, I spray painted the helmet dark brown and then I painted in layers with acrylics. Used a brush, sponge and paper towel to apply.
Silver chrome then I added some gunmetal and bronze, then black and chrome again, until I got the desired, weathered, look.

For the ear wings, I first spray painted metallic gold. Then did a similar process with other golds and mixtures with blacks for darker golds/browns.
The lines and grooves were a darker color. Mixture of black and emperor gold acrylics.

I sanded and snapped the pegs off the bottoms of the ear wings and super glued a rare earth magnet (N35 strength, 8mm x 2mm size, I believe)
Lined up my drill (with a hole cutter attachment) at the right angle and went through the sides of the helmet.
Another magnet was simply squeezed in that new space.

I then super glued MORE magnets (N35 strength, 10mm x 3mm size) to the inside of the helmet
and fashioned a strap system from left-over, leather belts and elastics and tried to make it look like the show's (from my earlier post, in this thread)
So magnets on the inside of the helmet and on the straps. (Everything can be taken out)

I also added foam AROUND that strap system, so the helmet wouldn't wiggle. (Magnets glued to the back of the foam)

I think that's all haha.
View attachment 673992

Nice job!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back