Jay Garrick Golden Age Flash Helmet (CW TV show Style)

Discussion in 'DC Costumes and Props' started by SamTheFlash, Aug 22, 2015.

1. SamTheFlash

SamTheFlash New Member

So I'm making a reproduction of Jay Garrick's helmet as seen in the Flash season 1 finale. Bear in mind Im pretty new to prop/costume building, the only costume I have made before is a New 52 inspired flash costume for Manchester Comic Con 2014: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10202600392106678&set=t.1103224700&type=3&theater

This is the actual helmet as displayed at comic-con:
    The-Flash-season-2-2-600x800.jpg

For the helmet I have used a replica WW2 Tommy Helmet, which I will sand and spray reflective silver. Heres a link to the helmet. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231528551...49&var=530776011190&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

DSCF0501.jpg

The only difference with this helmet is the faux srew head on the very top. I may attempt sanding this down, or simply leave it as I don't think it makes much of a difference.

For the wings, I have had a designer produce me a 3D model of the wings, which are being 3D printed as we speak. Below are a couple of shots of the design, which is pretty spot on to the show's version. They are 9x19x0.8cm. One design identical on both sides will suffice for both wings.

WING IMAGES.jpg

To fix the wings (which will be spray painted reflective gold,) to the helmet, I was going to put a small screw through the helm into the base of the wing, combined with an industrial glue, however to save the amount of plastic, and therefore the overall cost of 3D printing the wings, the base has been hollowed leaving 2 holes, so I will have to think of another way to fix them together.

Now to wait until the wings are printed and delivered. Heres hoping they come out alright!

Attached Files:

Travelingeek, dontfeedmyego and Funky like this.
  2. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I love this helmet! I'll be watching this thread closely to watch your progress!

3. Wolfdagon

Wolfdagon Well-Known Member

Ditto. Back when they showed Jay's helmet on Smallville I thought about trying to make one. But, I could not find an affordable helmet to use as a base. May have to get one of these.

4. SamTheFlash

SamTheFlash New Member

Progress coming along nicely. Ive had the 3D printed wings which look awesome, but were in a good need of sanding. The helmet has been sanded too, to the point that the faux screw in the top is now gone and Ive used a quick drying filler to seal up the holes where the strap was attached to the helmet, everything has been spray painted their first coat. I'll add a couple more coats and a clear sealer and then I plan to use araldite to fix the wings to the hat.

11947661_10205181448071464_3094403899459811421_n.jpg

IMG_20150901_105833.jpg

IMG_20150901_110357.jpg

BlackKaos likes this.
  5. BlackKaos

BlackKaos Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nice! This is such a cool little project that I ordered one of those helmets to do a little build myself. Thanks for sharing.

6. jmaxwell522

jmaxwell522 Active Member

Awesome, I literally was just working on trying to get a 3D design for the wings, are yours for sale or would you be willing to share the model for a one-time print. I've had my helmet chromed for years now and never got around to the wings.
    * that is amazing looking, wow...i'm in awe of your work.

7. Archer21

Archer21 Active Member

Yeah the wings is the only thing that's really holding me back from this helmet. I tried shapeways but i couldn't find anyhing.

8. thegbuddies

thegbuddies New Member

could you also share the wings withe me for a one time print i would be so happy because in my high school the have a 3d printer i could use its awsome already ordered the helmet :) :) also if you do not feel comfortable sharing the deign on the tread you can email it to me

9. rgriesbeck

rgriesbeck Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm working on a helmet too, but I'm trying to figure out why the comic-con version's wings are so different from the official pic that was tweeted out...

The-Flash-season-2-New-posters.jpg

10. Fawbish

Fawbish Sr Member

This looks great man. I'm getting a little more than excited for Season 2 thats quickly approaching finally.

Might have a go at designing and printing the wings myself, as I've wanted to since the Season 1 finale, just havent got around to it! great helmet find! Unless you were planning on a run of the wings SamTheFlash I might offer them for a short run, if people are interested of course.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  11. thegbuddies

thegbuddies New Member

anyone know were i can get the helmet cause the one he suggested in Canadian is approx 30$ and as im not trying to spend much i would like to know about any other helmets out there for relatively low cost thanks:)

12. RickHollandHFX

RickHollandHFX New Member

My helmet cost me $30-40 US on ebay

13. SamTheFlash

SamTheFlash New Member

So fixing the wings to the helmet proved more difficult than expected. In the end I used a screw from underneath, as well as araldite to fix to the helmet. I decided to have the wings angle outwards slightly, to be a little more reminiscent of the helmet as seen in Smallville, as I wasn't as keen on the straight up wings as seen in the recent promo image. It wasn't the cleanest of fixings, but I am very new to this kind of stuff. I retouched a couple of areas with a brush and used bicycle helmet pads on the inside, making the helmet very wearable.

DSCF0522.jpg

I ordered a display stand, and a metal plaque for display.

DSCF0520.jpg DSCF0521.jpg DSCF0525.jpg

I am very happy with the outcome.

Fawbish likes this.
  14. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Pretty awesome!

15. Wolfdagon

Wolfdagon Well-Known Member

Looks great. I agree with you that the wings look better at an angle rather than straight up.

16. Fawbish

Fawbish Sr Member

Looks great!

Reznor9 likes this.
  17. SamTheFlash

SamTheFlash New Member

18. spydrwebz

spydrwebz Well-Known Member

This looks awesome man!

Thanks for the links and the inspiration!

19. KyleReese2015

KyleReese2015 Active Member

Well, I got some catching up to do on the Flash. Though may not be much since I know the comics and characters closely. As for this.prop, I also am new to prop making. And just maybe this might be a good prop to make. Hopefully this thread isn't dead. I was wondering what materials the wings could be made out of?

20. Travelingeek

Travelingeek New Member

I'll second this one. I was thinking layered foam pieces to build the wings out, but not sure how that would work.

21. Na16Patman

Na16Patman New Member

Besides 3D printing, I would say layers of some kind of stiff material like foam-core (not sure the exact name) or even wood could work. Make it smooth enough to be painted yellow or gold and it should look good enough. From looking at images I'll be using some kind of dark paint wash to make it more "rustic" or worn so it's not just shiny and new looking.

I'm going to have a try at this costume so I'll be printing mine, trying to make it as least 3d-printy as possible by smoothing it out and painting.

22. reididtenroc

reididtenroc Active Member

Nice job ! Do you accept to share your stl file ?

23. Na16Patman

Na16Patman New Member

Not 100% OP will send you the file, but I'm currently working on my own model. When I'm satisfied with it, would you like the file? There's more I want to add so I'm not finished, but this is my progress so far.
    Bolt Render 1.jpg

Brandonius likes this.
  24. reididtenroc

Yes i'm very interested by your works, thanks

25. Brandonius

Brandonius New Member

Not to be "that guy" but I am extremely new to this and would really appreciate some help with the helmet's wings. I have been following this thread since it began, but as you can see, I am a noob. If someone could point me in a direction for the wings (or share a one-time print file that I could use my school's 3D printer to print) I would REALLY appreciate it. Thanks!

Best Regards,
    ~Brandon

26. Na16Patman

Na16Patman New Member

Here's the youimagine post for the wing. https://www.youmagine.com/designs/jay-garrick-helmet-wings

When I'm further along I may make my own thread and I will make sure to post that there as well, but just so you have it. I may revise it a bit but for now it's a good place to start.

27. reididtenroc

Thank you very much, have you printed one batch of your works ?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  28. SamTheFlash

SamTheFlash New Member

29. reididtenroc

Thanks for the sharing :thumbsup

30. vader1974

vader1974 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great Thread! My ebay helmet showed up today! Once my printer gets freed up, I will give the wings a shot.

31. Travelingeek

Travelingeek New Member

Great, thanks for the plans guys. My helmet is on the way and I have found a local 3d printing service. Very excited for this.

32. Pillsbury

Pillsbury New Member

I'm a little late on this thread but have been wanting to make this helmet as well and the wings are the hardest part. I've never done any 3D printing before. Is the design still available? Is the material flimsy and easily breakable or is it pretty solid? Thank you for posting all of this!

- - - Updated - - -

Is this still available? I wasn't able to download it. Thanks!

33. reididtenroc

34. jarradfx

jarradfx Active Member

Great helmet! I'm actually going to do this myself, thanks for sharing links :)

35. vader1974

Finally finished my helmet and a spare. The one on the head is a vintage steel helmet and the other is the eBay helmet. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457133370.218761.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457133384.271395.jpg

36. Travelingeek

Travelingeek New Member

How are y'alls wings holding up, since the plan was hollow mine cracked very easily.

37. vader1974

I cast my wings in resin (after molding a good set of printed wings) and drilled and tapped them for 4/40.

38. Travelingeek

Travelingeek New Member

Thanks, that shall be the plan, about time I learned a new skill.