Custom Tennant Sonic Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
I take offense to you constantly bashing bull dogs, I mean really. They are a gentle breed though somewhat stubborn...I mean come on.........ohhhh wait..I get it..I see what you've done there ;) lol.

K

By doing that as one piece it'll make it more durable. Since this is to be a kit are going to pre-rough the end cap so it takes paint better or will you be doing it up black in the shop before shipping?

I think that is two pieces that likely screwed together (nice and easy to paint). I am making my own but after seeing how nice this one is coming out I may need to get one anyway :lol:lol:lol.

It looks like someone is finally nailing this piece in that magic 100-200 price range that everyone was looking for. Something perfect for in between the toys and the QMX screen used replica. Since they are kits we can do a build along thread once they start shipping.

Things have been a little to quiet today so I have posted some more pic’s of the Custom built sonic that this thread is all about.
And by that I mean on both ends of the small housing that screws into the grip, have used M14x1.5 T.P.I now Bull Dog,….. be a good Apprentice and tell the good members what type of thread that is,…………. that’s right its a………. metric thread, any descent Engineer will tell you that. You don’t use fine threads in Aluminium, as they will strip out under load and not only that they will cross thread all so easily, so you would never use such a thread on a Aluminium sonic screwdriver of any season.

Now clean the wax out of your hairy ears this is very important Bull Dog, we are going to talk about threads.

In Unified threads that’s UNF that’s what is used in the aircraft industry (measured in inches), there are numbered diameters #0 through #10, with 0 the smallest and 10 the largest.
(Diameters #12 and #14 may also be found, but are usually on older equipment and needed for repairs or restorations. #14 is close to, but not exactly the same as, 1/4-inch.)
The major diameter in Unified threads = 0.060" + 0.013"*(numbered diameter). So #2 has a major diameter of 0.086". The odd numbers exist, but the even numbers are in far more common use.

For screws larger than a #10, the diameters are listed in fractional inches. For instance, a 1/4-20 screw has a 1/4-inch major diameter.
For metric threads, e.g. M3.5, the number following the M is the major diameter of the external thread in millimeters.
For Unified threads, the number given is threads per inch. For instance, a 1/4-20 screw has 20 threads per inch.
For metric threads, the thread pitch is given in millimeters per thread. Thus, an M14 x 1.5 screw has threads every 1.5mm. Although most metric fasteners have two or more standard pitches (fine & coarse threads),
There are two major metric "industrial standards": DIN Deutsches Institut für Normung (German) and the JIS Japanese Industrial Standards. Although these standards are closely related and often identical, there will be cases where say a JIS M8 bolt may not have the same pitch as a DIN M8 bolt.
Now are you getting this down Bull Dog, if not just cut and past it and read it later ok.

ALSO: Speaking of Cutting and Pasting, I think the people on this thread should give this link a quick read... VERY enlightening!
How to Read a Screw Thread Callout - wikiHow

Comes to something when even thread content is plagiarised :lol

facepalm.jpg

Last edited:
I am pretty sure the fact that it is the first reply to Google on the subject was the entire point in posting it (fundamentals). I am pretty sure it was intended as a sarcastic barb (at least that is how I took it when I read it) :lol:lol:lol.

I am pretty sure the fact that it is the first reply to Google on the subject was the entire point in posting it (fundamentals). I am pretty sure it was intended as a sarcastic barb (at least that is how I took it when I read it) :lol:lol:lol.

"It's not denial. I'm just selective about the reality I accept" Bill Watterson

"It's not denial. I'm just selective about the reality I accept" Bill Watterson

It was a comment on how I interpreted the post. Denial assumes that I give far more of a **** about proxy fighting with a fan club than I actually do. Personally I think Rassilon1 (and the rest of us) should just focus on the purpose of this thread, the creation of a kick ass Sonic kit instaed of bickering back and fourth with someone who is not even relevant on the RPF (but that is just me).

If there is any basis for recasting, like I said before take it up with the mods and let them review it. If not, obviously taking up thread posts here is not going to alter anyones perception of the progress posts one way or the other so what is the point.

It was a comment on how I interpreted the post. Denial assumes that I give far more of a **** about proxy fighting with a fan club than I actually do. Personally I think Rassilon1 (and the rest of us) should just focus on the purpose of this thread, the creation of a kick ass Sonic kit instaed of bickering back and fourth with someone who is not even relevant on the RPF (but that is just me).

If there is any basis for recasting, like I said before take it up with the mods and let them review it. If not, obviously taking up thread posts here is not going to alter anyones perception of the progress posts one way or the other so what is the point.

So why comment at all? You obvious care enough to get onto the keyboard and type. Stop fuelling the fire and only comment when you have something worthwhile to say.

I doubt that. This whole scenario is very similar to the one where he got banned from another forum.

This isn't a personal attack or one where pro dragon people are hounding other sonic builders. Far from it. If you remember I was pretty vocal on calling CT out about recasting the MFX sonic and everyone jumped on board to agree with me and chastise him. As it turned out, he wasn't copying the MFX but creating his own version with innovations above and beyond what people were expecting. I remember having to eat an awful lot of humble pie and enduring the Blogs harsh words.

It's great to see threads like these where another party is making replicas available to people. Russ does it and doesn't get hassled, neither did TLP, Roguescout, UtopiaBase and a few others. But they use their own research and designs and that is different. This is more a case of not wanting to see other forum members burned by people claiming to be something they are not. CT may use harsh language, but the PMs received from this OP are on a par with his rants and are utterly disgraceful.

I hope someone would raise concerns if Russ's sound sonics were copied, or if GreatWazoos watch was copied with the intention of selling them en masse. As such those who copied his design for their own personal project kindly asked him to do so. Doing that is just as it should be in this community, and respect is garnered by that simple act. CT may not be a member here, but his sonic design is unique and should be respected. By all means strive to make a more accurate piece, but you can't use another persons designs and work when you are making items to sell on for profit on this forum. That is just not right and is recasting.

Caveat Emptor.

Fair enough, I still say if there is a recasting allegation take it to the mods. What is the point in playing it out here with no photo comparisons for proof, etc...

Fair enough, I still say if there is a recasting allegation take it to the mods. What is the point in playing it out here with no photo comparisons for proof, etc...

Well it's difficult since the original posts have been edited to remove evidence of this, but here's the simplest... The end bulb. CT's is so distinctively different from the prop as it is far more curved and bulb shaped, while the turrety bits are short...

Sonic2.jpg

The above is an early CT proto, below is teh production version..

To+Kenney.jpg

images

Looks familiar yeah?

custom-tennant-sonic-build-ref-3.jpg

The above is so much a copy of CT's whole Tennant sonic there is barely zero distinction between the two. The body width drop after the ridges is only seen on CT's and NOT the MFX, QMx or props. That's bad and with the bulb profile are the main identifying features of Rassilons CT copied features. There are many many other ones that are ONLY on CT's and Rasilons design, but these are the two main ones that no one can possibly deny seeing. Copyrighting it as your own work is definately facepalmworthy.

Since this all came to light, a few minor changes have been made, but you can still see where the finished product came from, and it wasn't the prop. It was CT's.....

custom-tennant-sonic-build-1.jpg-77362d1323676467

But the prop is so different to both, not so shapely and curved and with a wider and flatter end with much longer turrety bits...

6489417937_93946c8c8b_z.jpg

Here's the excellent and original QMX prototype. Perfectly accurate here, albeit slight deviations, and showing how different the bulb is to Ct's and Rassilons copy of CT's...

qmx-10thdoctorsonic-1.jpg

Now c'mon Phez, surely you have to see where the dimensions of Rassilons 'kit' come from. It most certainly isn't the prop, QMx's, the CO toys, the MFX or even Nick Robatto''s cool prototypes for QMx.

Last edited:
phez said:

Actually, this has all been quite the eye opener. I'm glad this is out in the open for me to make my own informed decisions.

IMO it's unfortunate that earlier posts were edited, it makes it look like someone has something to hide. And then to try to get the controversy taken out of the public eye.. Also looks like something to hide.

I'd rather just see straightforward answers to the accusations and comparisons put forth, but that's just me. It's certainly possible that this is all just a big mistake, that the wrong picture was accidentally used as measurement and angle reference. Mistakes happen and apologies commence, people move on, unless the involved parties obfuscate, evade, and otherwise try to hide the "means" hoping that the "ends" will justify all.

That doesn't really fly around here and I hope such is not the case. I will repeat that I hope to see a retooling of the screwdriver in such a way that it is significantly different from CT's and more similar to the actual prop(s) used. All else is just noise and fury signifying nothing.

To play devils advocate here, it also looks quit a bit like he could have just used this photo of the screen used Aztec for reference and added the hero slider. What he has done seems to match it as close as the CT. It looks like his final end part matches the Aztec really close (much more so than the CT end cap). His early drawings don't really exactly match the CT or the Aztec (notice the size of the area between the ridges and end connector, why would that be wrong if he was copying the CT which obviously is not like that). If we are going to hang someone for recasting let's make sure there are no obvious comparisons that are being left out.

What exactly would be the point (where is time/effort saved) in copying the CT that is apparently so far off that everyone can tell it is being re cast rather than just using the photo below (which it looks like he did) :confused. Obviously all of the drawings were redone and the CNC files were generated to cut the parts out. Where is the point in making a copy of something that is wrong from a picture when you could just use the photo below and get closer results.

attachment.php

custom-tennant-sonic-build-1.jpg-77362d1323676467

Last edited:
Phez, seriously. The Aztec bulb is completely different in profile to the Rassilon and CT versions shown here. Your own images just posted show that. You can't say one thing in the same thread when the images you post show the opposite of what you are saying. The Rassilon and CT sonic are so close in profile to be virtually the same. Where as the Aztec, Robatto, QMx and MFX are all completely different. Just look at the pictures you posted, it cannot be anymore obvious.

It is also very easy to see why someone would copy CT's design over a screen used sonic... there are far more hi res images from every conceivable angle of CT's sonic than there are of all the prop versions put together. Simples!

I must say, I am disappointing with how certain people have been conducting themselves on this thread and the aforementioned blog. I recently joined the RPF after being awed by the amount of talented, artistic, and supportive members. It's a real shame that this thread has become less about helping each other and more about one-upmanship. Sorry to preach, but I wanted to share my thoughts.

.. and apart from that, explain why also the body, emitter heads and slider assembly, nad bulb mount are the same as CT's and differ from the props in EXACTLY the same way. The full and damning evidence may have been erased from the few posts at the start of this thread, but there are still a load, even with revisions since, that show this to be true.

I must say, I am disappointing with how certain people have been conducting themselves on this thread and the aforementioned blog. I recently joined the RPF after being awed by the amount of talented, artistic, and supportive members. It's a real shame that this thread has become less about helping each other and more about one-upmanship. Sorry to preach, but I wanted to share my thoughts.

And that is what we should promote. When talented, artistic people have their work copied so people can sell them on for profit, we should put our foot down. Recasting is frowned upon here to an emormous degree. I support members like Russ, RogueScout, Rylo and many others who create there own individual and innovative work without the need to copy other peoples for profit. If someone creates their own replica based on the original prop and not anothers interpretation, research, time and hard work, then they deserve that support.

Asp9mm: Please stop posting on this thread, as you are boring me,,,, I mean dude,………. I say DUDE……. have you conducted any research into what I do? ……… Any research what so ever?, or even research what this company manufactures any what so ever.

You have posted images of a band member’s chinse product, and say that he has created this, what have you accomplished.

Well Asp9mm,,,,, let see what have I, or this company designed……

Gas turbines for UAV’s that (Unman Arial Vehicles)
Quantum Turbines established in 2009, for development of small gas turbines for use in UAV's while the parent company Prop Engineering has been in the Experimental aerospace industry for over 10 years. Designer of the proven mk3 planetary drive for the Mini 500 helicopter, has always strived to improved the technologies of turbine propulsion in Australia using the T62 range of Gas Turbines for experimental use.
Quantum Turbines is the development, manufacture and support of small Quantum gas turbine range of Turbojet engines. Quantum Turbines use 3D CAD software to design the turbine engine parts, so to get the best design with the latest technology. Turbine parts are made by CNC machining and all parts uses high quality material, the turbine wheel is made of Inconel 713, this material is the same used in large aircraft turbine engines.

Planetary drives for the Solar T62 Military Gas Turbine

DESIGNED FOR THE SOLAR T62 FOR USE IN THE TURBINE UPGRADE MINI 500 HELICOPTER, THE mk3 AND THE Mk3-2A PLANETARY DRIVE REDUCTION GEAR BOX HAS BEEN CNC FROM 6061-T6 AND 2024 AIRCRAFT GRADE ALUMINUM. ALL INTERNAL PLANETARY GEARS AND HOUSINGS ARE OF THE HIGHEST QUALITY & MACHINED TO THE HIGHEST STANDARDS.
The Mk3-2A planetary drive is designed for the Solar T62-2A Gas Turbine with an output shaft speed of 6000 rpm, and when the planetary drive gearbox is installed onto the Solar T62-2A gearbox the output will be reduce down to an approximately output of 2750 rpm.

Please go away you are a forum thread pest

Do you understand the meaning to “CUSTOM” That means that I can, and will use any features that are on the Tennant Sonics thought out his time as the doctor and any other features that I like, wether that be on this site or images from other sites, as this is a “CUSTOM” build and NOT I repeat NOT trying to match anything in particular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back