Custom light saber

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by redbutton, May 1, 2015.

Tags:
  1. redbutton

redbutton Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hi, I just started work on a custom light saber using a DeMornay - Budd Flash gun. Picked it up for a song. Already have experience working with
    my son on ROTJ and V2 as well as Obi wan sabers. See pictures below. Not sure with to do with the emitter.
    Cheers,
    Steve

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 1, 2015
    halliwax likes this.
  2. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey this looks fantastic! Props on finding a nickel plated flash, can't wait to see where this build goes!

3. Calaeryn

Calaeryn Well-Known Member

Cool flash...looking forward to seeing more.

4. redbutton

IMG_0398.JPG IMG_0399.JPG IMG_0404.JPG IMG_0405.JPG IMG_0401.JPG
    Hey, I got the t-track from Roy along with a D-ring. The ring fit perfectly in the center screw hole after I drilled it out a bit - next I shaved off the two sides
    of the d-ring holder. That helped it fit into the little indent under the screw head. I also cut the connector board from a computer board to put in the clamp sanding
    the edges to fit.That's it for now! I'm working on the emitter end portion.Thanks for looking!!
    Cheers,
    Steve

5. redbutton

IMG_0410.JPG IMG_0411.JPG IMG_0412.JPG IMG_0413.JPG IMG_0416.JPG
    Hello again, I sanded and primed the button switch. Next I wet sanded the switch and painted it black. I'm not sure what I want to do with the
    spindles - they had a threaded ring with diamond shaped edges along with a cone shaped cap nut. I was to hold a flash dish on it. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Thanks for looking!
    Cheers,
    Steve

thd9791 likes this.
  6. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Hi redbutton . . . that looks very promising indeed :) . . . so either you could weather and paint the top section a bit black as the V2 . . . or you could search for a true Vader emitter shroud ... either a Heiland or a replica MPP ... I wish I could say Roy will have them soon in a Vader Heiland conversion kit ... but it's still being in the research and developement stage, until we meet so I can show my real MPP and ROTJ G R A F L E X parts to be replicated by him :)

Chaim

thd9791 likes this.
  7. thd9791

Especially now that the "ROTJ" Vader is truly from filming.
    some similar wrapped shroud piece would be cool, with or without those protruding ..things

:) this is my dad! Chaim, that's the card that was in that bag of greeblies you sent me, thank you again! Haha it's going to good use ;)

mugatu and Sym-Cha like this.
  8. redbutton

Hello Everyone. I got a new reflector on ebay from and old graflex No. 2747 7 to use for an emitter. Let me know what you think with regards to put it on with the set screw up
    on top or letting it be on the bottom. See pics. Thanks.
    Steve IMG_0420.JPG IMG_0422.JPG IMG_0423.JPG IMG_0429.JPG IMG_0433.JPG IMG_0434.JPG IMG_0428.JPG IMG_0425.JPG

9. NeoRutty

NeoRutty Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I like the reflector shroud... gonna have to keep that in mind... Cool looking, OT style saber!

With the lip on the end, you could feed a graflex style shroud on the end... like they did with the holiday special...

I'm not sure how to explain... but like the front of this:

[​IMG]

Also, I say thumbscrew on the Bottom, Flat side up (Vader ROTJ style)

redbutton likes this.
  10. mugatu

mugatu Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm not sure what this long metal piece that goes from clamp to the bottom and back around is, but I'm really digging it.

11. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Well a mighty good find for a shroud . . . and again welcome thd9791's dad . . . good to know some of my surplus parts are being used properly . . . in a lightsaber :)

Chaim

redbutton likes this.
  12. halliwax

halliwax Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Red button is toms dad!? That's super cool! Welcome to the club!! I really enjoyed watching your sons thread and your involvement in it, that's great you started your own build!!

redbutton likes this.
  13. redbutton

Thanks! It's been fun and very cool to put together these sabers,

14. redbutton

The long metal piece is attached to the clamp - which has rivets to help it open and close. Nice piece of engineering.
    Cheers,
    red button

15. redbutton

Hey, everybody I finished my DeMornay-Budd saber. I've included a few pictures.
    Cheers, Steve
    CustomDeMornay-BuddSaber10.JPG CustomDeMornay-BuddSaber7.JPG CustomDeMornay-BuddSaber6.JPG CustomDeMornay-BuddSaber4.JPG CustomDeMornay-BuddSaber2.JPG

Sym-Cha and thd9791 like this.
  16. Kylash

Kylash Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Gorgeous, I've been curious what one of those graflite emitter pieces would look like. Awesome!

17. thd9791

Now that's a hardware saber! I especially am a fan of the tube socket in the emitter, and the thumbscrew on the side. They really bring it into the SW universe.