Currency of the 'Verse...

Are you able to share those screencaps? :) All I've seen up to now has been muddy at best, except for Philippes' pic of the genuine article way back in the gun show-off thread.

As an aspiring graphic designer, my curiosity is piqued...

I've been going crazy plugging names from the IMDB into Google and getting zip.

It seems like Stella Starlight would be the person to go to, but I can't find a website or contact info.

-Mike

the screencaps ive been studying are the ones by toothtech back on page 3 of this thread, other than that ive just had to freeze frame a lot and put my face real close to the tv

Here's mine:

bill_b.jpg

bill_b.jpg

I printed out ten of each. They look real pur-dee all stacked up. Looks like I just pulled a train job or something. too cool. I only printed them on one side, as I plan to frame them for a wall display. Since nobody will be able to see the back side, I figured it didn't matter.

What print setting is everyone using? Mine came out kind of dull and lifeless compared to the above photos.

Russ

Originally posted by Rook 3@Dec 27 2005, 08:51 PM
What print setting is everyone using? Mine came out kind of dull and lifeless compared to the above photos.

Russ
[snapback]1144849[/snapback]​

It's going to depend greatly on your printer. I think I erroneously mentioned that the files print well at 300DPI, when in fact they're geared for 600DPI (even better.)

My aging HP Deskjet 932C prints them quite vibrantly (is that a word?) with the default settings. If you have a printer that's within 3 or 4 years of being new, you should end up with similar results unless it was just a cheap-arsed printer to begin with.

Poke around in your settings, print a few out with some different options, and see what you come up with. :)

I did these back in September - before we had exact sizes or border info. I have real bills on the way, and can now say that I printed everything a bit too small - by about 15mm. I started with 3M transparency Mylar with a laser printer:

IMGP7721.jpg

I also experimented with heavier stock papers:

IMGP7718.jpg

I then tried laminating the mylars which punched the colors up:

IMGP7723.jpg

But they were too plastic-y:

IMGP7725.jpg

But I made a bunch, any way:

IMGP7726.jpg

Since then I have gotten VERY close using architectural plasticised drafting vellums, and faux lambskin. The Denril™ melts in the heated rollers, so I'm still tweaking.

I'll post my recipe when I get it perfect - I will replicate the Serenity money to a T.

Firefly bills have some different graphics - more on THAT later...

:angel

Oh - and I have a scary industrial paper cutter at work, so the stacks will be perfect..

This bill was sold as screen-used. The seller seems very legit. :)
(There's even a little "pokey-hole" in the middle about right for a thumbtack. Makes me wonder if it weren't one of them stuck up on the bar on Beaumonde.)

screenused100creditnote.gif

Hope that helps dimension wise.

My measuring tape gives outside dimensions of 8 1/16" x 4 1/16"

Image dimensions of 7 13/16" x3 7/8"

Remember this is a measuring tape, not fancy calipers, so it might be off a smidge. Color is faded, not near as "punched" as in the Visual Companion. Paper seems heavier than normal office paper.. not certain if I'd say it has real "paper money" feel though.

Really? I just compared the note to the illustration in my copy of the "Official Visual Companion" and the image area on the bill looks to be about 3/8 larger in each dimension than that in the book (not counting the white border, of course)

Wierd.

I'll post a photo tonight.

Originally posted by Treadwell@Dec 28 2005, 03:18 PM
Cool, those are exactly the dimentions in the Visual Guide. :) :thumbsup
[snapback]1145177[/snapback]​

Hmm, I'll remeasure then. As I posted way up there, my borderless files were sized to 19x9.5cm which is the identical measurement you gave for the inner image, in English units.

Originally posted by Treadwell@Dec 28 2005, 12:02 PM
Hmm, I'll remeasure then. As I posted way up there, my borderless files were sized to 19x9.5cm which is the identical measurement you gave for the inner image, in English units.
[snapback]1145220[/snapback]​

Actually, 19cm is equal to only 7.48", and 9.5cm is equal to 3.74".

The dimensions you'd want would be 19.84cm by 10.32cm.

It's going to depend greatly on your printer. I think I erroneously mentioned that the files print well at 300DPI, when in fact they're geared for 600DPI (even better.)

When I open the image, it says it's 150 DPI. Is there a higher resolution image file available, or is the print setting independant of the actual file size?

Edit: never mind. Turns out I didn't have copies of the higher res 400 dpi images.

All the "white" areas come out clear when I print on the transparencies. Plain paper though comes out very nice with rich colors. I haven't tried double sided printing yet... don't know if I should as getting the placement correct seems like it will be a pain.

Russ

Originally posted by Rook 3@Dec 28 2005, 06:05 PM
I haven't tried double sided printing yet... don't know if I should as getting the placement correct seems like it will be a pain.

Russ
[snapback]1145403[/snapback]​

There are some tricks to getting them to line up properly.

1) Don't just rely on the computer to center the images. Calculate the margins, and line the images up with them. I worked with the images in CorelDraw7. I set guide lines for both sides and top and bottom (I'm printing them two out on the sheet), I then zoomed in to 2000%, and nudged the image until it was exactly on all of the guide lines.

2) Move the images towards the middle of the page. I only left about 3/4" between the two images, so there is a lot of top and bottom margin. When the sheet is being pulled into the rollers, the leading and trailing edges will experience the most movement, while the center of the sheet experiences the least.

Following these tips, I've been able to print out bills with only about 1/32" variance front-to-back.

Good luck.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back