Currency of the 'Verse...

How do we stop some of the images in this thread from disappearing into oblivion? I've been looking back through the thread and every time I click on a link to what I hope will be a full-size printable image, it's a "Page not found" error time after time. It's such a shame that something that probably took so many hours of work is unavailable, and I don't even know why. I mean, surely the people who made the props want them to be available, and I certainly want them to remain available. What's the deal?

It's a combination of many things.

First, a number of places where people stored images have changed, such as Photobucket. The service had it's share of hiccups and when it went to a paid service, many people dropped it.

Second, many host website have vanished. Most of the early sites like Propcircle, fireflyprops and other just disappeared. Some of us who archive specifically for Firefly reached out to the owners to buy the IP or hosting sites, but the owners simply wouldn't respond. Almost all of them went down without warning, never to return.

Fortunately, many things have been saved in personal archives and the Firefly Archive. I'll talk to my associates and see what we have stored.

I just discovered the RPF a few days ago, having been made curious by Adam Savage's references over on Tested. I'm quite new to constructing replicas & have only ever purchased a couple of them - and only just created an account when I saw this thread near the front of the site - so please excuse any faux pas!

Having scrolled quickly through this thread, the posts are notable more for the broken links and dead images than the working ones. Given that it appears Quantum Mechanix (QMX) no longer holds the Firefly/Serenity license, would anyone be interested (and would it be permitted, copyright-wise) if I were to make & post high-res scans of the blue (100) and red (500) bills from the Serenity 'Alliance Currency Money Pack' they released? I purchased the QMX 'fan club exclusive edition' pack which includes information from Geoffrey Mandel, the movie graphic designer, confirming the bills are duplicates of the original artwork supplied by Universal. I can't assist with the Firefly currency, but can at least help with ensuring the Serenity currency isn't lost from general 'circulation'.

If anyone is able to share the Firefly currency images, without Photobucket et al. watermarking, that would be excellent - creating paper props is something of an interest of mine, having successfully created everything from steampunk newspapers to replica coasters and business cards, and I'd love to add some Firefly currency to the Serenity pack!

I'd love to see that. However, as I understand it, the Firefly copyright is now owned by the famous Florida Rat company (the one that bought and effectively raped Luke Skywalker to death and brought Leia Organa's corpse back to freakish life in the sequel trilogy), and they are notorious for flagging and issuing takedown orders for anything even remotely resembling anything they own.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back