Currency of the 'Verse...

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by SmilingOtter, Sep 20, 2005.

1. SmilingOtter

SmilingOtter Master Member

Most cool.

In the Serenity Visual Companion, they show a few of the bills. Unfortunately, they only show one side of each, but I'm sure someone creative could put together the other side.

2. Mr_Creepy

Mr_Creepy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

As philippes posted in the ENVY thread (and confirmed when I asked), the bank notes are printed on mylar and are transparent ,so they only have one side.

Makes it easier to replicate. :lol

3. moffeaton

moffeaton Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yes it does.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Mr_Creepy

Thanks for posting those Jason, they're shiny. ;)

Curious--it looks like they've changed the money a little bit--written denominations instead of numerical. Have to admit, they look a lot different that what I was thinking based on screencaps. :confused

5. Sporkey

Sporkey Well-Known Member

are those bills from the movie? if so, does anyone have any pics of the bills from the show?

6. Kris

Kris Sr Member

Where did you got the "paper" money ? Any files you care to share ? ;)

7. Briareos

Briareos New Member

Yeah, had a bad turn back in Serenity valley and now I'm saving for a ship of my own...

:p

8. Kris

Kris Sr Member

Fact is, I want to suprise a friend with em. He's a huge fan :)

9. Endless Wonder

Endless Wonder Sr Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As I posted on my boards, if I see these turn up for sale anywhere, I'm pulling the scans and flooding ebay with $0.01 BINs.

10. Kris

Kris Sr Member

VERY cool. Thanks a lot :)

11. SmilingOtter

SmilingOtter Master Member

Awesome work.

Two questions -

1 - Anyone know what the phrases are in Hebrew, Chinese, and Arabic?

2 - Can you get mylar for home printers or is this something I'd have to go to Kinko's for?

12. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I know you can buy special transparencies that can be run through an inkjet printer.

So, where's the green $120 bill? Eh?

- - -

That's some great detective work :)

-Mike

13. Darth Bill

Darth Bill Well-Known Member

:confused

Umm, you're not the only person who has a copy of the Visual Companion...

It's in wide distribution.

If any money turns up for sale, it'd be pretty hard to make the argument it's a direct result of your scans. :rolleyes

Russ

14. JKolton

JKolton Well-Known Member

Here's the paper money I made after taking extremely high res scans of it out of the companion last week. :) I'm looking for an interesting paper to print it out on, as thats just plain old paper. You can also see my patch prototype in the background.

[​IMG]

And * Toothtech. Amazing research. Very cool.
    Jon

15. Mike J.

Your local office supply store should have some 'specialty' papers.

I got a sample set from Southworth with different colors & little threads... Somewhat similar to US currency paper. I think they call it 'Granite'.

-Mike

16. Kylash

Kylash Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

so is it supposed to be paper or transperencies? I honestly cant remember from the show.

17. JKolton

JKolton Well-Known Member

The money above I believe is from the movie only. I don't think it's the same as the paper money from the show. And I haven't seen the movie since the first screening back in may, so I totally have no idea if you actually see the money in the film.

18. Endless Wonder

Endless Wonder Sr Member

Well I don't mean just my scans, but anyone's scans. Somethinng like this should be free and REMAIN free. It really upsets me when people try to make a quick buck on ebay with free paper props. :angry

19. Mr_Creepy

According the philippes, the notes used on the TV show were printed on thin mylar, transparent, and thus single-sided.

I've tried some printing tests with the overhead projector transparencies you can buy for inkjet printers. Pretty crappy---too transparent, too stiff for what's seen on screen, and (even worse) very smudgy. :angry

Kinko's didn't have the set-up to doo anything better. I talked to an "old school" print shop, and was quoted a price tag of $600+ with a minumum order of 1000 individual bills..... :confused

20. Sporkey

yes im also curious, and what is the difference between the movie currency and the currency from the show? i see from the envy thread picture that the bill only has the number in the corner where the movie ones have the number then the written amount beneath it

21. gnrlotto

gnrlotto Sr Member

22. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Whoa, I didn't know Nathan showed up. I went to the Friday panel where they said he'd cancelled. owel... :(

Anyway, it's possible "hero" bills were printed on mylar and the rest paper.

23. Endless Wonder

Endless Wonder Sr Member

That's from last years Dragon*Con.

24. Harry Harris

Harry Harris Well-Known Member

I think the 'Firefly' money is printed on Mylar, the 'Serenity' money on paper.

Harry.

25. gnrlotto

gnrlotto Sr Member

Bingo, Harry.

26. Darth Brass

Darth Brass Sr Member

How big is it supposed to be? Are those scans fullsize?

27. Endless Wonder

Endless Wonder Sr Member

They're pretty good sized. I've been printing them at 3.5 x 7.0

28. Darth Brass

Darth Brass Sr Member

Thanks Angelus.

29. moffeaton

moffeaton Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

[​IMG]

I'm a MINT lately, lol

30. DuneMuadDib

DuneMuadDib Sr Member

Gorrammit that's shiny.

31. Mike J.

32. Endless Wonder

Endless Wonder Sr Member

Cool stuff. Thanks for sharing :)

33. Sporkey

i was watching the episode war stories tonight, and it showed them getting a large bundle of bills together, and they all appeared to be regular paper instead of the transparent mylar

34. Mr_Creepy

I know what you mean. However, if the bills were actually printed on mylar instead of inkjet/laser printed, then there would be enough opacity to look like paper.

The best example I can throw out is the mylar label from a bottle of Lipton "citrus" green tea (great tasting stuff BTW :lol)--take the label off and check it out. It's printed to look opaque, but you can actually see through it. Has a nice "papery" feel to it as well ;)

The best screencap I can get of a bill makes it look almost opaque, but you can still sorta see thru it.

I want some of the TV bills sooooo bad. :unsure

35. Mike J.

Post your screencaps :)

-Mike

36. Sporkey

the best screen cap Ive found is when Mal is buying a drink in the bar at the beginning of the Train Job, also the bill shown there is quite different from the movie bills

37. Mr_Creepy

That's the one.

I have the caps collected, but haven't had time to sort through them and find the best for posting ;)

38. Kylash

Kylash Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

i saw these in the movie today and they were definetly crumpled up paper.

39. robstyle

robstyle Sr Member

Its a safe bet to say the movie money was printed on paper.
    I happen to know where the only existing uncut sheet of 100's is :)

40. Endless Wonder

Endless Wonder Sr Member

ROB. Welcome back, man :D

41. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

Just out of curiosity, if the money is printed only one sided, would't the other side show somewhere? Perhaps it double printed with the same image on both sides?

From experience, using an inkjet on overhead tranparencies suck, to say the least. Maybe the images were silkscreened on to the transparancies. It would last a hell of a lot longer, that's for sure.

As for the coins, if someone could get a hold of one complete set, maybe they can be molded and cast in that pot metal stuff. Something like this kit http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?M...roduct&ID=82388

Just a thought.

-Fred

42. Mr_Creepy

I had a couple of extra sets (of varying degrees of accuracy)--tough & expensive to buy 16 coins from different sellers in (possibly) different countries. I guesstimate collecting my"accurate" set has run about $400...give or take. Will most likely never "make my money back", but selling the extra sets helped a little ;)

If you only want a fews coins and not a full set, it's easy to get them on eBay--especially #s 8, 11, 12, 13, 15 & 16. I'd be happy to share some sellers' names in a PM if you're interested ;)

Found this link there---http://home.netvigator.com/~ykleungn/yuansk2.htm
    Thanks Mike, looks like the "fatman" coin from SAFE has a legit ID now....it's a Yuan Shih Kai silver dollar. :thumbsup

43. Mr_Creepy

This is a comparison scan of inkjet tranparencies and the label I mentioned earlier. Obviously, the transparency material is too transparent compared to what was seen on TV. I included front and back scans of the label to show that whatever printing process was used on it results in the back side still being "viewable".

I took the label in to a print shop, and was told that it was a "4 color process"--he didn't elaborate if it was screen printing or something else.
    [​IMG]

Here are the best screencaps I could find of the bank notes--these are from THE TRAIN JOB, SHINDIG, and WAR STORIES. A little different from the movie bills....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks to Fried Mon Calamari for pic hosting. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  44. Mike J.

I think your print guy just meant the label was a professional, custom job.

They put down a thin layer of opaque white pigment, then print with custom-mixed colors on top.

White, then yellow, custom green, custom red, then black.

That's my guess.

If you want something different from standard inkjet, try asking about printing with dry pigments.

Good luck.

-Mike

45. Mike J.

BTW, thanks for posting the caps :)

-Mike

46. Mr_Creepy

No problem, thanks for the print info. I asked about having "something similar" printed, and the 4 color process is how he said they would print them.

I'm cheap, and about fainted when he quoted me the price ($600+ with a minimum order of 1000)--might be why they used paper in the movie. :lol

47. robstyle

robstyle Sr Member

I think they used paper because thats what was ordered as the money played no real role in the film, why spend the extra coin on a backround/set dressing item. Lets not forget little things dont take precedence with a set in stone budget.

48. Darkknight0667

Darkknight0667 Sr Member

FYI -

4-Color Process is a printing process whereby every color is printed using some combination of Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black (also referred to as CMYK). The best place to see examples of this are in the Sunday Comics (where the dots are REALLY big) or in a magazine (though you'll need a magnifying glass or loupe to see the dots)

Any printing using colors other than these four is much more expensive. The inks for anything but CMYK printing are called PMS or Pantone colors. They can rance across the color spectrum, but are not custom mixed.

Mike - I believe that you're mistaken on the printing of that label (though you may have the colors correct). Printing with white ink as a background would obscure the image from the back side, so that you'd only see white (at which point, why bother with the clear plastic). The white is added strategically throughout the design, but not "flooded" across the entire image.

I work in the publishing industry and have quite a few contacts in the printing business, so if someone wants to send me some more detailed information on the mylar material that was used, I'd be happy to call some of my printers to see what it would cost to get this made.

49. Mike J.

I'll defer to your experience :)

Regarting the TV money; it looks like it might have a giant stylized Chinese coin in the center... You know the old ones with square hole? That's my guess. Also, what looked like a 1 in Phil's "envy pic" of the $120 now appears to be a dollar sign. Figures — a $20 bill makes more sense than a $120.

As an aside; I went through my coin collection, and I don't have one single Chinese coin. The one I thought might have been is a Japanese 1 Sen. Oy.

-Mike

50. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

currency discussion split from the coin thread by request.