Currency of the 'Verse...

Re: Currency of the 'Verse...

There is a picture of the bills in the Firefly companion book and the bills 1 + 2 are a bit bigger than the other bills.

So, 3 through 6 are littler? You skipped #3 on that earlier sizing text.

Yep, 3-6 are are littler. (I just edited my old post to avoid further confusion :lol )

Look at page 77 in the official companion volume one. Buy it if you don't own it, it's a must have. Volume Two too :)

There are a lot of fan made bills for Firefly, so I decided to take a different route and make some fractional money. While living in the Middle East I saw my share of tiny, fractional bills that serve as 'small change'. Here is a photo I took of my fan made bills and fraction bills to show scale.

MyCurrency.jpg

I made pdfs of the bills at ten to a page.

http://pics.fireflyprops.net/PACE-5thCreditBills.pdf

http://pics.fireflyprops.net/PACE-10thCreditBills.pdf

Very cool! I have some "tiny bills" as well.

Thanks. I can't believe that I didn't post these earlier.

I also recently saw some bills for Dyton Colony, St. Albans, Hera and Persephone, but I don't know who made them or where I can get them. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Beautiful job on those fractional bills Yellowjacket. Your doing some great work.(y)thumbsup

Wow, I just spent a couple of hours reading through all 16 pages of this thread. Interesting to see what people were saying early on knowing what I do now about the visual companions and QMX and such. Regarding the QMX currency, the inside cover of the currency pack was written by Geoffry Mandel, graphic designer for Serenity. In his little blurb he states "...They were trimmed to size and then aged by the Property department, reportedly in a bucket of lukewarm tea..." Has anyone tried this with the QMX currency? I recently purchased two packs to carry with me when cosplaying as Jayne Cobb and I would like to have the money look aged. Before I attempt this, I was wondering if anyone else has had success.

SNIP
"...They were trimmed to size and then aged by the Property department, reportedly in a bucket of lukewarm tea..."
Has anyone tried this with the QMX currency?
SNIP

I never tried to age the QMx money, but you can always try it on one and see what happens.

I don't have any of the image manipulation programs other than MS Paint,
but I made these Blue Sun and Ariel bills.

Reading2007071.jpg

Since I only used an inkjet printer, the ink would run if I tried the "tea-spill" weathering.
I carried them in my pocket with my real money for about a month to weather them.
Fold 'em up, carry 'em a few days, crumple them, re-fold them carry a few more days, fold and un-fold them several times a day, fold them in quarters, fold them in halves;
basically just do what happens to real money at an accelerated pace.
Also, beat some up worse than others.
The paper money in your pocket is never all worn to the same degree.
(Like when you look for the best bill to use in a vending machine.)

Personally, I think the tea method makes them look TOO old.
Generally, money is just softened, broken and worn.
I think of the tea thing as more like replicating documents decades or centuries old.

Copyofalliancemoney04a.jpg

CopyofArielmoney01.jpg

Mike

I like the Blue Sun currency. I think that would be accepted on more worlds than alliance currency would. I can see some general stores on border worlds sympathetic to the Independents refusing to accept alliance money. But I would think Blue Sun would be accepted everywhere.

As for aging the QMX stuff with tea, I may try it with a couple. I think I'll try a 100 and a 500 to see how they look. I have an original screen used 500 from Serenity that I got from The Prop Store of London and it looks aged but not antiqued.

I saw some currency for several individual planets of the Verse awhile back, including Dyton colony, but I can't find out who made them. Anyone seen these varied bills from around the Verse?

I saw some currency for several individual planets of the Verse awhile back, including Dyton colony, but I can't find out who made them. Anyone seen these varied bills from around the Verse?

I bought a can of Tracy's beans from a member of the 76th a while back.
He threw some neat extra stuff in with my purchase;
I THINK including some fan-made money like you're asking about.
I'll check shortly (next day or so) and post some pics or scans in this thread.

Mike

Hello everyone,

This may be a little late to the party, but I'm a print geek that loves this kind of thing.

The most important part of this post is as follows: I'm interested in hosting all the high resolution scans and creations from this ENTIRE thread. Some of the older links are broken or are no longer being hosted anywhere. I want to make sure that we can keep sharing the love for fans and gamers.

I'm trying to collect up all of Nexus6's and Dr_Slurpee's files as well as the greatest hits from PACE for ship's papers. I have acquired access to a high resolution scanner so I can post and host high-res, slightly altered scans of the QmX Ship's Papers so that folks can make some for themselves. I'm a leatherworker as a hobby, so I will also post the wallet specs and whatever projects I come up with, too.

I look forward to any help anyone can give me in collecting the files. I also look forward to sharing what we have collected with the rest of the fans.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back