Crocodile Dundee Knife (Mods done. Post #20)

I had the DownUnder Outback Mk 2 as my first foray into trying to find a screen accurate replica after a lot of searching & research online. As is now clear there isn’t one.
While the DUK Outback very loosely approximates the screen used knife there are a lot of clear differences in shape and geometry and for me this wasn’t enough.
I’m in the UK & fortunately I found a local knifesmith (Korben at www.kwbknives.co.uk) who agreed to work with me on getting as close to screen accurate custom build as we could - he is a fan of the films so I don’t this it was a hard sell!!
I must have reviewed literally hundreds of screengrabs to work out the dimensions. The pictures below are where I am at the moment. I still need to add the extra braided handle wrap & then source a custom croc skin sheath which will be another adventure I’ve no doubt!
Anyway I thought I’d post this in case it may be of interest.

Attachments

• 6E2AFC0E-9A8B-4917-8EF6-10196FC87B39.jpeg
    6E2AFC0E-9A8B-4917-8EF6-10196FC87B39.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 168
  • 426571BD-3187-4890-B4AF-BDCA46C16FAB.jpeg
    426571BD-3187-4890-B4AF-BDCA46C16FAB.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 180
  • 6AD82BE8-AB77-49C5-99AA-4DFF1017E270.jpeg
    6AD82BE8-AB77-49C5-99AA-4DFF1017E270.jpeg
    600.6 KB · Views: 172
That is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You and He did a great job. I can't wait to see it finished with the additional handle wrap and sheath.

Yeah screen grabs were tough as there really are not that many good shots of it.

Awesome! (y) :eek: :lol: :cool: :love:

That is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You and He did a great job. I can't wait to see it finished with the additional handle wrap and sheath.

Yeah screen grabs were tough as there really are not that many good shots of it.

Awesome! (y) :eek: :lol: :cool: :love:
Thanks, appreciate it!
I literally went through the blue-ray version of the movie frame by frame when the knife can be seen to get as many images as I could.
There are a few promo pictures online taken at the time of the movie release which also helped.
I managed to find a 3mm leather braid that really closely matched the original kangaroo grip, I will need to learn how to braid/knit leather to make the other handle wrap as nobody I could find makes anything similar. Korben & I went through an evolving CAD design process until I felt it was as close as it could be.
There are a few custom leather workers in the US who use gator/croc hide and that’s my next thing to start.

Thanks, appreciate it!
I literally went through the blue-ray version of the movie frame by frame when the knife can be seen to get as many images as I could.
There are a few promo pictures online taken at the time of the movie release which also helped.
I managed to find a 3mm leather braid that really closely matched the original kangaroo grip, I will need to learn how to braid/knit leather to make the other handle wrap as nobody I could find makes anything similar. Korben & I went through an evolving CAD design process until I felt it was as close as it could be.
There are a few custom leather workers in the US who use gator/croc hide and that’s my next thing to start.

Please be sure to show it off when the wrap and sheath is done.

Again, well done! Just awesome (y) :) :lol:

I had the DownUnder Outback Mk 2 as my first foray into trying to find a screen accurate replica after a lot of searching & research online. As is now clear there isn’t one.
While the DUK Outback very loosely approximates the screen used knife there are a lot of clear differences in shape and geometry and for me this wasn’t enough.
I’m in the UK & fortunately I found a local knifesmith (Korben at www.kwbknives.co.uk) who agreed to work with me on getting as close to screen accurate custom build as we could - he is a fan of the films so I don’t this it was a hard sell!!
I must have reviewed literally hundreds of screengrabs to work out the dimensions. The pictures below are where I am at the moment. I still need to add the extra braided handle wrap & then source a custom croc skin sheath which will be another adventure I’ve no doubt!
Anyway I thought I’d post this in case it may be of interest.

Any update?

How cool is that?!? I recently made my own version and it was SO much work! Learned how to braid and work with real crocodile leather! I don't have many Fotos but if you want I could post some here tomorrow. I would be super interested in what you found out about all the details and how you would rate your final product...

Don't you find it unnerving too that there are so little pictures around on the Internet for such an iconic piece of movie-history?

Apologies for the late response, only just realised I haven’t checked the forum in ages.
I am struggling to source accurate hornback alligator skin at a reasonable price. The few leatherworkers I have reached out to either haven’t replied or really responded in a way that wouldn’t give me confidence they understand what I’m looking for.
I will definitely find someone but it appears it will take longer than expected.
I’d certainly be interested in what you made!

Last edited:
Awesome knife replica but as i live in the United Kingdom not so easy to get that kind of thing, so maybe thinking about making a plastic one but i did finally get my replica hat done it's not a 100 % screen accurate one but looks ok to me and i'm happy with it , i've had the hat for a while and the other week i found a fake snake skin belt in a charity shop which looked to be the right width and design for the band so i then made the teeth/claws from air dry clay and used brown string for they band plus added the cut and grey stitches to the hat for that finishing touch

Attachments

• IMG_20230218_124539.jpg
    IMG_20230218_124539.jpg
    947.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20230218_124601.jpg
    IMG_20230218_124601.jpg
    996.1 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20230218_124616.jpg
    IMG_20230218_124616.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 52
Nice work!
I’m in the UK also and you can find large fixed blade knives at reasonable prices if you want to adapt your own, I found my Outback for sale in a shop in Belgium & importing wasn’t a problem although not cheap.
Occasionally UK based hennie.com has some decent options.

Last edited:
The handle is wrapped with kangaroo leather thong. Really fine and strong, it has been doubled and twisted into a braid. The top layer isnt a sleeve, it’s just another layer of wrap but braided and made from a slightly lighter leather. The guy that made that made some great replicas, but since then he has been reported to take the money and not supply the goods. That looks like an early version. He made some very accurate ones after that. A spot on accurate replica will be available in the future, from a top custom knife maker using an original as reference.

This picture isn’t a replica. It’s the real deal. Taken when it was up for auction.

View attachment 1548860
Any idea what’s going on with the replica you mentioned? I’d be interested in more information

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back