Crocodile Dundee Knife (Mods done. Post #20)

Matt R

I had the DownUnder Outback Mk 2 as my first foray into trying to find a screen accurate replica after a lot of searching & research online. As is now clear there isn’t one.
While the DUK Outback very loosely approximates the screen used knife there are a lot of clear differences in shape and geometry and for me this wasn’t enough.
I’m in the UK & fortunately I found a local knifesmith (Korben at www.kwbknives.co.uk) who agreed to work with me on getting as close to screen accurate custom build as we could - he is a fan of the films so I don’t this it was a hard sell!!
I must have reviewed literally hundreds of screengrabs to work out the dimensions. The pictures below are where I am at the moment. I still need to add the extra braided handle wrap & then source a custom croc skin sheath which will be another adventure I’ve no doubt!
Anyway I thought I’d post this in case it may be of interest.

Attachments

• 6E2AFC0E-9A8B-4917-8EF6-10196FC87B39.jpeg
    6E2AFC0E-9A8B-4917-8EF6-10196FC87B39.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
  • 426571BD-3187-4890-B4AF-BDCA46C16FAB.jpeg
    426571BD-3187-4890-B4AF-BDCA46C16FAB.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 41
  • 6AD82BE8-AB77-49C5-99AA-4DFF1017E270.jpeg
    6AD82BE8-AB77-49C5-99AA-4DFF1017E270.jpeg
    600.6 KB · Views: 41

Jamesfett

Sr Member
That is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You and He did a great job. I can't wait to see it finished with the additional handle wrap and sheath.

Yeah screen grabs were tough as there really are not that many good shots of it.

Awesome! (y) :eek: :lol: :cool: :love:

Matt R

That is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You and He did a great job. I can't wait to see it finished with the additional handle wrap and sheath.

Yeah screen grabs were tough as there really are not that many good shots of it.

Awesome! (y) :eek: :lol: :cool: :love:
Thanks, appreciate it!
I literally went through the blue-ray version of the movie frame by frame when the knife can be seen to get as many images as I could.
There are a few promo pictures online taken at the time of the movie release which also helped.
I managed to find a 3mm leather braid that really closely matched the original kangaroo grip, I will need to learn how to braid/knit leather to make the other handle wrap as nobody I could find makes anything similar. Korben & I went through an evolving CAD design process until I felt it was as close as it could be.
There are a few custom leather workers in the US who use gator/croc hide and that’s my next thing to start.

Jamesfett

Sr Member
Thanks, appreciate it!
I literally went through the blue-ray version of the movie frame by frame when the knife can be seen to get as many images as I could.
There are a few promo pictures online taken at the time of the movie release which also helped.
I managed to find a 3mm leather braid that really closely matched the original kangaroo grip, I will need to learn how to braid/knit leather to make the other handle wrap as nobody I could find makes anything similar. Korben & I went through an evolving CAD design process until I felt it was as close as it could be.
There are a few custom leather workers in the US who use gator/croc hide and that’s my next thing to start.

Please be sure to show it off when the wrap and sheath is done.

Again, well done! Just awesome (y) :) :lol:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.