creating metal with an airbrush

Trallis

I need advice from all the airbrush masters on how to make something look like metal, and then make it old rusty and weathered. any info would be great. I am working on a model. It's gotta be all metal, its seen plenty of battle, so it needs burn marks and lots of rust. if anyone has ideas as far as what type of paint, including colors, and advice on how to do certain effects, please post them. thanks guys

Trallis - For the metal look, I would airbrush Aclad II on your model. The paint comes in various shades and colors, and when applied correctly, they look incredible.

For the rust, Micro Mark sells a great product called "Rust-All". Works really well to give a realistic rusty look. Barring that, a little Golden Opaque Burnt Sienna works well too. For blast or scorch marks, I would recommend using a little Golden Shading Gray to accomplish that. Watercolors will also do the trick if you need small runs and such.

If you're not too confident free handing the marks, tear some paper into irregular lines to use as a guide.

My .02

Rick Cantu

awesome. i appreciate the input. its very different than the info i have already found, which is a good thing.

I seem to remember seeing a paint at Home Depot that once applied, OXIDIZES in air to make REAL rust. Haven't tried it myself but I've always been intrigued.

i have that rust-all stuff and it works well, you paint on the grey undercoat and add the solution, it then rusts for real, nothing like the real stuff.

Depending on the scale of the project, you can "shave" actual rust from something metal (rebar works a treat) and make a glue/rust slurry and brush it on. Layering it on and keeping it thin is the trick. I wouldn't run it through an airbrush tho, at least not one I really liked. Once you've got your rust applied the way you want it, then you can paint over it, dry brush, blah blah, etc and so on.
Once again this really depends on the scale your working in. But the nice thing about real rust is that you can keep it chunky or break it up to very fine grains.

Originally posted by zorg@Jan 4 2006, 03:26 AM
i have that rust-all stuff and it works well, you paint on the grey undercoat and add the solution, it then rusts for real, nothing like the real stuff.
[snapback]1150223[/snapback]​

So i could apply the grey stuff to certain areas of the alreaddy painted model, and then add solution and just those spots would turn to rust?

Originally posted by Trallis+Jan 5 2006, 06:47 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Trallis @ Jan 5 2006, 06:47 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-zorg
@Jan 4 2006, 03:26 AM
[snapback]1150223[/snapback]​

So i could apply the grey stuff to certain areas of the alreaddy painted model, and then add solution and just those spots would turn to rust?
[snapback]1151085[/snapback]​
[/b]

yes :)

Originally posted by carves@Jan 6 2006, 03:53 AM
I use Tamiya paints.
They already have the paint just for that; burn, rust, and metal stuff.
[snapback]1151870[/snapback]​

yes but they are not REAL rust

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back