pzreich

Hey all! I saw Birds of Prey last night and immediately decided I wanted to cosplay Huntress for either Anime Boston, New York Comicon, or Boston Comicon. Or all! I wanted to start this thread both to document my progress and get advice from y'all, especially about materials and techniques. I feel very confident building armor but I want to get better at making clothes.

Thanks to this lovely thread by persialex I have a lot of reference images to draw from, and I have made a tiny bit of progress in identifying what I may need for this.

I already have comparable shoes so no need to worry about that, and my real hair is pretty much identical. With that out of the way, I wanted to mention what I'm set on. As far as I can tell, most of her outfit is made out of leather/pleather/some mix of the two. The pants look like an high waisted oversized baggy leather pants, which is both strapped in at the ankles and tucked into the boots. I found a pretty good match on Etsy which I purchased since there was only one left in stock, and I also found a decently cheap chain on Amazon.

Where I'm stuck is the top and the belt, especially with the gaps between the neck and the chest, and the chest and the hip. If anyone can tell me how to make/buy these string like connective fabric (sorry for the awkward phrasing, I'm new to this aspect lol), please let me know. I would also love some help identifying the purplish fabric used at the bust, and the material of the utility belt.
71871086_765811223833264_872813238029385728_n.jpg

I'd also love a good and cheap match for her crossbow and arrow set. Anything helps, thank you all in advance!

Great project! So, my thoughts, in order:
  • For the gaps in the top, you’ll want to make your pattern mock up as a solid top and design in the ‘gaps’. Then, when you build the components, you’ll just need to use a leather cord to tie then together and create the detail.
  • For the purple, I’d recommend a 2mm neoprene. Having only seen the pics you linked (and not the movie), I think that’s a good bet. It will sew the way you need it to, doesn’t need to be finished on the edge (talking about around the neck) and will allow movement and flexibility as well as a paintable surface for distressing.
  • The belt appears to just be webbing with a side lock buckle. For the detail pieces, I’d recommend having them printed and cast in rubber with a gunmetal/silver powder and gluing them to the web belt.

Great project! So, my thoughts, in order:
  • For the gaps in the top, you’ll want to make your pattern mock up as a solid top and design in the ‘gaps’. Then, when you build the components, you’ll just need to use a leather cord to tie then together and create the detail.
  • For the purple, I’d recommend a 2mm neoprene. Having only seen the pics you linked (and not the movie), I think that’s a good bet. It will sew the way you need it to, doesn’t need to be finished on the edge (talking about around the neck) and will allow movement and flexibility as well as a paintable surface for distressing.
  • The belt appears to just be webbing with a side lock buckle. For the detail pieces, I’d recommend having them printed and cast in rubber with a gunmetal/silver powder and gluing them to the web belt.
Thank you so much for taking the time to give your advice! Over the past few days, I have been thinking this process over, and with help from the incredible cosplayer songbirdcosplay, I have a game plan for the top:
Helen recommended that I get a crop top in the shape that I want, which I found off of Amazon, cut out the holes from there (with some iron on interfacing to keep the shape consistent), sew the pleather and purple fabric on top, and then weave the lacing through holes in the pleather. I ordered eight yards of this corset lacing off of Etsy which I'm planning to use for the details. I found a nylon belt at a hardware store and I think I can add in the webbing on top of it, I'll update this when I try it though.

IMG_2114 2.JPG

I haven't heard about the neoprene, though I'm totally open to it. Would it have a similar color sheen as the actual fabric does?
EF9YwLOXkAAmHc8.jpeg
IMG_2114.JPG

Thank you again for the advice! I really do appreciate it ahh!

I believe this was the base for the crossbow.

Thanks for finding this! It would be really good for photoshoots, but I'm not sure what that policy would be at Comicon. They confiscated my sword last time :(

Thanks for finding this! It would be really good for photoshoots, but I'm not sure what that policy would be at Comicon. They confiscated my sword last time :(
Don't string it. No string = no ability to function = no danger = SHOULDN'T be a problem... but don't quote me on that.

Alright! Small update. The chain and the shirt both came in, so I decided to do a mini costest to get a good idea of where to go. Please ignore the checked out look on my face, I am a bit ill and out of it lol. Chain is a little big but I'm not that fussed about it! This is the shirt in which I'll be able to start the actual construction.
IMG_9842.JPG

1582302671219.png

Personally I found this online and wanted to experiment with it. Granted, I'm no professional sewing person, and it might fail because I know nothing about fabrics, but her top looks like it changes colors. I'm wanting to go to a giant fabric warehouse store here in Dallas on the weekend (or Joann's if I don't feel like driving that far) and just look around. I've posted my other findings in the other Huntress thread!

View attachment 1259804
Personally I found this online and wanted to experiment with it. Granted, I'm no professional sewing person, and it might fail because I know nothing about fabrics, but her top looks like it changes colors. I'm wanting to go to a giant fabric warehouse store here in Dallas on the weekend (or Joann's if I don't feel like driving that far) and just look around. I've posted my other findings in the other Huntress thread!
Ooh! Do you have a link to the fabric? I'm also going to Joann's this weekend to look at fabric but this is certainly a strong contender!

View attachment 1259804

So, that looks to be taffeta - it will have the iridescence but I'm not sure it's a good choice for this kind of project. It's a relatively stiff and formal fabric and you'll need to very cleanly finish your edges as it will fray if you wink at it.

If you really want the iridescent look, I'd look to stretch fabrics that are coated and laminate (simply glue - generally using something like Super77) them to a heavier fabric beneath to give you the weight and structure to hold up the shapes. Also, my initial recommendation of neoprene came from the reference pics looking like the upper sides (over the arms) and neckline don't look finished - they don't seem bound or otherwise stiched in any way.

This may be way more info than you want, but Cynthia Rowley did an iridescent scuba dress that's similar in look to this, but it's a sure bet that's custom coated - as is the material in BoP. So, I would recommend you find the approach you like best and then adjust to accommodate that.

Also, and not to be a killjoy, but I would advise against trying to build the top on top of that crop-top you purchased. You'll be trying to reconcile non-stretch (or very limited stretch) outer materials onto a flimsy stretch base (and no, iron on interfacing is not going to provide the structure you need). My recommendation would be to find a dress pattern with the same bodice shape (pay very close attention to the neck and the armholes - they will be very hard to work with if you don't know drafting). Make that bodice in muslin and get the fit right. Then, sketch out all the details for the different seams and cut outs on the muslin. Once you're happy, cut the muslin apart and use it for your pattern (be sure to add seam allowances!)

I outline this process in a lot of my threads and process blogs on my site if some visual reference might help.

OK, that was a lot! Sorry, but hope it helps. Cheers! :)

So, that looks to be taffeta - it will have the iridescence but I'm not sure it's a good choice for this kind of project. It's a relatively stiff and formal fabric and you'll need to very cleanly finish your edges as it will fray if you wink at it.

If you really want the iridescent look, I'd look to stretch fabrics that are coated and laminate (simply glue - generally using something like Super77) them to a heavier fabric beneath to give you the weight and structure to hold up the shapes. Also, my initial recommendation of neoprene came from the reference pics looking like the upper sides (over the arms) and neckline don't look finished - they don't seem bound or otherwise stiched in any way.

This may be way more info than you want, but Cynthia Rowley did an iridescent scuba dress that's similar in look to this, but it's a sure bet that's custom coated - as is the material in BoP. So, I would recommend you find the approach you like best and then adjust to accommodate that.

Also, and not to be a killjoy, but I would advise against trying to build the top on top of that crop-top you purchased. You'll be trying to reconcile non-stretch (or very limited stretch) outer materials onto a flimsy stretch base (and no, iron on interfacing is not going to provide the structure you need). My recommendation would be to find a dress pattern with the same bodice shape (pay very close attention to the neck and the armholes - they will be very hard to work with if you don't know drafting). Make that bodice in muslin and get the fit right. Then, sketch out all the details for the different seams and cut outs on the muslin. Once you're happy, cut the muslin apart and use it for your pattern (be sure to add seam allowances!)

I outline this process in a lot of my threads and process blogs on my site if some visual reference might help.

Like I said, I know nothing about fabrics lol. I don't sew anything. I just searched words that looked like what I was seeing. Even if I got neoprene, I wouldn't know what I'm doing and no one was offering any help in the other thread. I just thought I need a stretchy purple something to sew to thin leather strips, and cording to do the up and down pattern. And a jersey fabric for the back? The back looks stretchy. But yeah, the neckline is blank and I can't find a single image for how the top of the shoulders look.

Attachments

• huntress birds of prey costume.jpeg
    huntress birds of prey costume.jpeg
    195.7 KB · Views: 242

Haha, no worries on length! This has been exceedingly helpful! I had a feeling that the plan wasn't viable as I was writing it, but this was a perfect confirmation. Thank you very much for your help, and if the fabric store doesn't have what I'm looking for, I will order some online. Thanks again for your patience and advice <3

My recommendation is do whatever SMP Designs recommends. He is absolutely the best comic/movie/original costume maker on this forum... hands down. You can learn a lot reading any of his threads.

Good luck with your project, what ever you decide to do.

I can't find a single image for how the top of the shoulders look.

Take a look at the image posted earlier of her sitting on the arm of a sofa or chair - look very closely at her right shoulder (left in the image - the lower shoulder) and you can pretty well make out the seam at the top of the shoulder where the black meets the purple. I’d go with that.

For the back, I’d go with a 2-way stretch in a heavier weight. Take a look at Spandex World and even Rockywoods for some options. Even a stretch denim would work. The main thing to consider is that the back fabric has some stretch for movement but can also support the structure of the front.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back