Correcting warped styrene...?

PHArchivist

Master Member
I have an aviation-based subject with a notably warped vertical stabilizer.

In 1/72 scale the stabilizer is about 4" tall, and warps/leans about 1/2 inch to one side...

Scalding/boiling water?
Heat gun?
Metal brace inside the two stabilizer halves?

Help me out guys...

How bad is the warp?

Id try a heat gun..VERY SLOWLY warm it up....then dunk it in COLD water when its in place.

<div class='quotetop'>(PHArchivist @ May 20 2006, 03:59 AM) [snapback]1247293[/snapback]</div>
I have an aviation-based subject with a notably warped vertical stabilizer.

In 1/72 scale the stabilizer is about 4" tall, and warps/leans about 1/2 inch to one side...

Scalding/boiling water?
Heat gun?
Metal brace inside the two stabilizer halves?

Help me out guys...
[/b]

If it was me I would try something with less heat then a heat gun to start... Heat guns can get real ugly real quick if you get the plastic too hot, but they WILL do the job...

First in any attempt have a container of COLD water ready, to cool the puppy down...

First option is to drop it in boiling water remove it with tongs and apply light force and see if you can SLOWLY get it back into shape... Wear gloves (leather) because obvioulsy it will be hot...

Next option would be a regular hair dryer, and gloves...

Both of these ways are borderline on the heat needed to bend the plastic but generally leave more room for error and sometimes work depending on the part... But, the heat is definently at the low end...

If you go with the heat gun, DON'T rush better to take 20 minutes then 2 seconds of oops heat...

Frank its not terrible, but noticeable (and drop me a line sometime dammit. ;) ).

Seems like heatgun in moderation may be th trick...

Thing I'm most intimidated about is getting it "just right" -- not overcorrecting...

You also have to watch out for the tendency of the plastic to appear not to be responding to heat and then bang, in an instant it's competely bent the other direction.

I've had luck in the past contacting manufacturers and requesting replacement sprues. May take a couple of weeks, but generally it's been the best solution if I can't set it chemically and get a good bond.

Heat can work, but it's damn tricky at times.

Edited because I couldn't figure out what a 'colution' was after I posted it... durp.

<div class='quotetop'>(Clerval @ May 20 2006, 05:25 PM) [snapback]1247531[/snapback]</div>
Edited because I couldn't figure out what a 'colution' was after I posted it... durp.
[/b]

:lol

Thanks for the tips.

Here are my thoughts: If you need the piece to be flat, clamp it between two flat pieces of wood or metal. Put the whole thing in boiling wter. The clamps will squeeze it flat. Afterwards, put the whole thing in cold water or just let it cool slowly in room air.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back