Constantine holy water ampoules…

Good news the ornaments arrived early, bad news they are not the right size. They are 2.3" in diameter, the seller listed them as 2" but apparently did not measure them exactly. Back to searching.

These are not the balls you are looking for ;)
1648933891798.png

Still looking, I found some in China and the Netherlands/UK and have inquiries in on both. Shipping will be killer from NL and the China contact requires a minimum order of 100 if they can source. It may be overkill as I'm guessing they'll get easier to find towards Christmas.

Here's the link for anyone following along at home:

Google says glass iridizing is done using stannous chloride which is no bueno without a fume hood and significant disregard for lungs. If anyone knows of an alternative that doesn't require vaporizing hydrochloric acid, I'd appreciate the pointer.

Last edited:
Still looking, I found some in China and the Netherlands/UK and have inquiries in on both. Shipping will be killer from NL and the China contact requires a minimum order of 100 if they can source. It may be overkill as I'm guessing they'll get easier to find towards Christmas.

Here's the link for anyone following along at home:

Google says glass iridizing is done using stannous chloride which is no bueno without a fume hood and significant disregard for lungs. If anyone knows of an alternative that doesn't require vaporizing hydrochloric acid, I'd appreciate the pointer.
Yeah that process sounds dangerous. We just need to find 2” glass ball ornaments. I thought that package you got actually said 2” on it.

I have 2" clear ones but no iridescent ones. The last package that from the picture above was listed on ebay as being 2" but was actually 2.33 inches.

I spent the weekend resin printing caps and masking/painting the clear ornaments. I figured the painting was good practice for when I find the iridescent ornaments. I'm resigned to waiting for Christmas time to find them. The christmas tree is going to be rocking the extra clear ornaments this year as I now have 6-7 boxes of different sized ones. If you're going to use the clear ones shown in the picture below, get them here:

The necks are much straighter than the Christmas by Krebs brand that I previously purchased.

IMG_20220414_211605__01.jpg

The file that I used for the masking is attached as a zipped SVG. The dimensions are 5" x 1.6". I'm cutting the mask on a vinyl cutter using Oramask 813 stencil film. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079JB36NG. The main challenge is centering each side on the ornament. I weed the stencil then apply transfer tape. I center the stencil on the bottom of the ornament using the center circle and then fold up to the neck of the ornament on both sides. Burnish the edges to make sure the stencil is stuck and then carefully peel the transfer tape. Then remaining uncovered glass with painter's tape. I cut the tape into 1/2" pieces and tiled them on the ornament curves.

1649991418308.png

The caps are not resin printing as expected. I'm picking up support side blurriness that I haven't been able to resolve. I'm assuming I'll get it dialed in eventually but also I ordered MJF PA11 printed ones. More on that when I have them in hand. The STL file is attached.

Attachments

• drawing.zip
    8.1 KB · Views: 65
  • Cap.zip
    298.3 KB · Views: 80
I spent the weekend resin printing caps and masking/painting the clear ornaments. I figured the painting was good practice for when I find the iridescent ornaments. I'm resigned to waiting for Christmas time to find them. The christmas tree is going to be rocking the extra clear ornaments this year as I now have 6-7 boxes of different sized ones. If you're going to use the clear ones shown in the picture below, get them here:

The necks are much straighter than the Christmas by Krebs brand that I previously purchased.

View attachment 1565956

The file that I used for the masking is attached as a zipped SVG. The dimensions are 5" x 1.6". I'm cutting the mask on a vinyl cutter using Oramask 813 stencil film. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079JB36NG. The main challenge is centering each side on the ornament. I weed the stencil then apply transfer tape. I center the stencil on the bottom of the ornament using the center circle and then fold up to the neck of the ornament on both sides. Burnish the edges to make sure the stencil is stuck and then carefully peel the transfer tape. Then remaining uncovered glass with painter's tape. I cut the tape into 1/2" pieces and tiled them on the ornament curves.

View attachment 1565970
The caps are not resin printing as expected. I'm picking up support side blurriness that I haven't been able to resolve. I'm assuming I'll get it dialed in eventually but also I ordered MJF PA11 printed ones. More on that when I have them in hand. The STL file is attached.
Great job!!!
I don’t have access to vinyl cutters and such. This whole thing you are doing is amazing!!!

Has there been any update to this project?

Last year, I thought I had found the bulbs. However, they were out of stock then and still now.

Also, I couldn't match the caps after getting the pics from propstore. I focused my search on lab/medical supplies.

Definitely interested how this goes!

I've go the correct bulbs now. I'll post an update this week. The prop store close-ups make me think that the caps were modified. They look fairly rough to have been injection molded.

I've go the correct bulbs now. I'll post an update this week. The prop store close-ups make me think that the caps were modified. They look fairly rough to have been injection molded.

Looking forward to your update! It's possible that they were modified. To me, the cap material looked like nylon.

Got sidetracked in the key chain thread. I was able to find the correct soap bubble ornaments in a Christmas shop in Europe. They finally arrived and were masked/painted. The paint is standard rustoleum rattle can - semi gloss white. Aligning the mask to the center of the spheres required a few jigs to get the placement right.
i-NK273fF-M.jpg

The SLS printed caps were not color safe around alcohol so they were molded and cast in Smooth-on Onyx casting resin.
The castings are on the left and the originals are on the right. I'm pretty happy with the detail. The simple sprue and riser were done using sticky wax and worked well.

i-VsnJmrD-M.jpg

A little dremel clean-up and they'll be good to glue.

Got sidetracked in the key chain thread. I was able to find the correct soap bubble ornaments in a Christmas shop in Europe. They finally arrived and were masked/painted. The paint is standard rustoleum rattle can - semi gloss white. Aligning the mask to the center of the spheres required a few jigs to get the placement right.
View attachment 1644439
The SLS printed caps were not color safe around alcohol so they were molded and cast in Smooth-on Onyx casting resin.
The castings are on the left and the originals are on the right. I'm pretty happy with the detail. The simple sprue and riser were done using sticky wax and worked well.

View attachment 1644440

Dude!!! Awesome!!!! They look amazing!!! If you sell any of these, I’m interested!

View attachment 1644439

View attachment 1644440

These look fantastic. I’ve been following this thread for a while. I also started to look for 5cm baubles.
Do you think plastic clear iridescent baubles could cut it, or glass is the way to go? The issue I see with plastic is there will probably be a mould line around the circumference.

It could work. I remembers seeing ones that did not have seams. The challenge would be finding baubles in 5cm with the iridescence and no seams. It took a fair amount of trial and error to find the correct ones in glass. My Christmas tree this year is covered in clear glass baubles :).

For reference, these have no seam. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076DLSSTS

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back