[COMPLETED] SW Squadrons Vanguard X-Wing (FM 1:48)

"Keep your eyes here for a Merlin Models Tantive IV build soooooooooon!)"

"Turns out gorilla glue isn't the best for stuff like this, so I went out and got a two-part epoxy for the next one"

SB

What a great build for sure! Some really great tips in here on mounting the kit! I have been trying to find how everyone was mounting their kits and could never find the right thing to search for (PanaVise, now I know), thanks for that!

As always, your photos are awesome! They often make up the background on my PC.

Also, I really like the clear JBWeild 15 min epoxy for mount work, dries clear and has crazy tensile strength. They also have a 2 part plastic (grey in color) that works really well.

Excited to see your Tantive IV build, I did not get the model but I did purchase the files while they were on sale for the 30", the detail is so good on that kit!

One thing that I'm still trying to figure out how to do is the Rebel insignia on the wings. I don't have a silhouette or a cricket cutting machine, so I really have no idea how I'd make paint masks for those. Any ideas there?

SB

If the surface is flat, another trick I have used is to just make a stencil and print in PLA. The lettering on my Sulaco was done this way and came out very sharp, way better than I had thought it could.

Again, nice work!

-Eric

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! edge10 I noticed that it should be green only after I had painted it metallic gray. I am thinking of going back with some chipping fluid and adding a green layer over the top of it. That and the front landing gear hatch.

skahtul I didn't even think of using my printer for something like that! Good to know for the future. And the wife got me the Tantive IV (the 17" version) as one of those "it's your birthday and Christmas presents for the rest of your life" kind of things :lol:

Okay folks, here's my rendition of the Squadrons promo image above:

X-Wing Vanguard Squadron - 2k.jpg

Again, thanks for following along. It's been fun to do something other than the standard Red Squadron (although those are a blast to do as well).

SB

skahtul I didn't even think of using my printer for something like that! Good to know for the future. And the wife got me the Tantive IV (the 17" version) as one of those "it's your birthday and Christmas presents for the rest of your life" kind of things :lol:

SB

Been there! I have still not built mine which was my 38" SSD Resin Kit, I am afraid the wife will remember how much I paid for it once I get it built, it was hard enough explaining it away the first time :)

I never tire of X-Wings. So beautiful, and yours is a work of art! Outstanding! I am inspired to go haul out one of mine from the collection, and give 'er a go. :)

Red7 thank you for the kind words! I guess if I inspired someone else to build something, then that's the best compliment I can have!

So I got it back on the bench, and as per edge10's suggestion, I went back and painted the bottom hatch and the front landing gear doors my custom green color, after applying some liquid masking for some chips.

IMG_5468.jpg

IMG_5470.jpg

And with that, I think that wraps up this build! Thanks again for following along, and happy new year!

SB

Late to the party on this one but just have to say really nice job here! I'm addicted to X-Wings so always love to see other variations and this one certainly does not disappoint.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back