COMPLETED - First Build - Red Hood, New 52

Vox

Sr Member
This post has been edited to show the completed costume. To see the process, please see the rest of the thread.

C2E2 2015
11183438_10104958082679380_1731486701887851162_n.jpg

Finished2.jpgFinished1.jpgFinished3.jpg

Original post test:
I know Red Hood seems to be one of the "flavors of the month" so to speak, but I've had the idea for a few months and have been unable to shake it, so I decided to go for it, with the intention of having it done for Halloween this year, and wearing it to C2E2 next year. I am a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to my work; thankfully I have a number of months to work on this.

I will mostly be working out of my Chicago apartment and Pumping Station: One (the hackerspace on Chicago's north side). And, here we go!

Helmet
A huge thank you goes out, first and foremost to @Sorenzo for this cast. It came out beautifully, I only had to apply some Bondo spot putty to a couple small places. As for finishing the piece (see the rest of the thread for THAT big process), I closely followed Sorenzo's build thread, but reported my own progress here.
RawCastRPF.jpgCompletedMask.jpg

Jacket
The jacket is probably one of my favorite clothing articles that I own. I got it a few years ago care of Wilson's Leather, should be perfect for the costume.
JacketRPF.jpg

Torso
The shirt is entirely custom. I designed the pattern myself after many meticulous measurements. I ordered a stretch spacer mesh fabric, onto which I traced the patterns. The exposed edges of the shirt (bottom hem, sleeve ends) were finished with 1" elastic tape, folded length-wise over the edge of the fabric and stitched on. The elastic was too thick to follow line of the top of the neck, so that was finished with simple twill tape. The back of the neck was not sewn together, since the twill tape does not stretch and my head still needed to fit through the neck hole. Instead, the back of the neck is closed up (once the garment is put on) with two hook-and-eye settings.
Patternscutout.jpgPatternDrawn.jpgFabriccutout.jpgEdging.jpgSewing.jpgLayout.jpg

Gloves
Purchased these a while ago for dirt cheap off Ebay. I know Red Hood has full-fingered gloves, but my frugality is winning out over my perfectionism. If I find myself with the cash, I may find more accurate gloves. But at the moment, that is low on the priority list. Note: the cloth is actually a sheen black, I think the camera is just picking up the blue tone of the comforter.
GlovesRPF.jpg

Belt
Most likely just going to be a belt I own, or I might try to find something with a silver plate buckle that will work. Suggestions welcome!
[UPDATE 7/3]: Looking into purchasing a custom nylon strap with metal aluminum buckle.
[UPDATE 7/27] Belt acquired, thanks to a custom (and very affordable) order from Strapworks.
Belt.jpg

Holsters
Got these off Ebay for about $15 a pop (free shipping!) and they are totally worth it. The come with a vertical strap/buckle to attach to a belt, and two thigh straps. I ended up removing the vertical straps and replacing them with my own nylon angled straps (as per the reference photos). I also removed the lower thigh straps because, thanks to the new straps, the holsters were sitting higher on my legs and the lower strap would not wrap around all the way.
HolstersRPF.jpgHolstersAfter.jpg

Guns
2 airsoft pistols, made of plastic, with orange tips, purchased off Ebay for $10 a piece. I will likely be dismantling them and removing the firing mechanisms (I have no use for BB guns) to ensure their Con safety.
GunsRPF.jpg

Pants
Found after much (over a month of) research and searching online
Pants.jpg

Boots
Combat boots I purchased a couple years ago, to which I taped red vinyl for a Captain America costume. Like the gloves, these aren't quite accurate, but given that I have them already, I am leaning toward using them unless I find an affordable alternative in the next few months. The pants will be pulled over them, rather than tucked in or bunched up.
BootsRPF.jpg

That pretty much covers it! I am unsure of how to do a neck covering, so that is something I am putting on the back burner for now. All feedback, experience, suggestions, comments, and constructive criticisms are more than welcome!

References:
red-hood-and-the-outlaws-new-52-17-cover.jpg8740d1316710965-21.jpg

Last edited:
Re: First Build - Red Hood (New 52)

I used a lot of the same pieces of hardware for my red hood build, those boots are stupidly comfortable for extended use. I'd say go with option 2 for new 52 pants, they look the best

looks very nice dude , i'm working on a red hood cosplay too :)

And thus, a friendly rivalry is born! :p

I spent about 5 hours in the workshop this week, working almost exclusively on the helmet. However, I knew I would eventually be painting the thing, and I needed a way to paint it in 360 degrees. So I bought some scrap wood from my local hobby shop for a few cents and made this:
Paint Stand.jpg

It's simple, and the top is far from a perfect dome, but it will hold the helmet well enough so that I can spray paint it easily.

I had to trim down the bottom lip of the mask before I could get my head into it (which was a total geek-out moment). Then I used the same rotary tool + cut-off blade combination to cut the vents in the mouth, nostrils, and brows of the helmet (very similarly to how Sorenzo did it). I specifically did this all first before using Bondo on the minor problem areas because, this being my first time and all, I figured my hand might not be as steady as I want, and I nicked the shell a couple times while carving. So now I can fill those spots in again before painting.

Finally, I used a high-speed carving bit (pictured below) to carve out the eyes. I was able to get most of the eyes clean with it, but ended up switching to a veryfine drill bit to file out the corners. I will have to sand down the rim to truly make it smooth.

Dremel carver.jpg

Mask Vents and Eyes.jpg

Very nice! Never was into the helmet with the mouth and nose, but its a nice build. I'd go for option 2 for the pants

Brief update: I think I may have found some pants, and for under $20 to boot! Behold:
Pants.jpg

It's a denim material, with a slight sheen. 8 years of soccer while growing up, combined with genetics, has left me with some muscular legs (not a complaint), so skinny jeans/pants tend to really hug my calves and thighs, leaving an awkward shape. These definitely hug my calves, but leave enough room up top so that the pants can shift between sitting down and standing up. (There is NO shifting around the calves.) Plus:
Pants Zipper.jpg

Each leg has a zipper on the bottom of the inseam, which makes getting them over any boot-top a breeze. I will probably add an elastic cloth dart on the inside of the zipper, much like you will find inside the zipper of a motorcycle jacket sleeve. That way I can zip or unzip the pant without having the cloth flap around and allowing for some more customization options.

After trying the pants on with the boots, the overall shape was not quite what I was going for. The boots totally work for a pre-New 52 look (which I will undoubtedly build eventually), but the New 52 look is much more streamlined, and his shoes seem more form fitting and less elevated than combat boots. I found some motocross boots on ebay that have the right shape, color, and look, but are more than I want to spend. So, until my next update:

-Anyone have further feedback/opinions on the pants?
and
-Boot suggestions are welcome!

I'm curious, what are you planning to do with the eyes? You just leaving them open, you going to cover them with lenses or a see through material?

Last edited:

Very nice work. I too am doing a Red Hood build, though have not updated in a while. Earlier you said you didn't know what you were going to do for the neck cover, have you thought about a turtleneck shirt? A simple black one could possibly work. Or, if you are willing to spend the cash, a black spandex suit could even work. That's what I am using. Keep up the good work, and good luck, fellow Hood.

I'm curious, what are you planning to do with the eyes? You just leaving them open, you going to cover them with lenses or a see through material?

I will be using the same method Sorenzo used in his original build: perforated vinyl (the type of stuff they use to paint train and bus windows with advertisements). I will have to see how flimsy it is first. If it will not stay/look right on its own, I'll be laying that over two cut-out pieces of clear plastic bottle (already curved!) and attaching it that way. Makes for a very cool comic-accurate white eye effect while still allowing for pretty good visibility.

Very nice work. I too am doing a Red Hood build, though have not updated in a while. Earlier you said you didn't know what you were going to do for the neck cover, have you thought about a turtleneck shirt? A simple black one could possibly work. Or, if you are willing to spend the cash, a black spandex suit could even work. That's what I am using. Keep up the good work, and good luck, fellow Hood.

Thanks for the good luck wishes, rasendori04! I think the neck cover will come down to time and money. It will definitely be one of the last things I work on, so if I am crunched, I will probably do something simple. If not though, I may try to actually construct a neck armor piece out of spacer mesh with EVA foam armor overlaid.

Nice work hope to see it in Chicago.. I will keep up with your posts so keep up the good work my friend...

I did not get to work nearly as much as I would have liked over the weekend, but I did get the first primer coat on!
1stCoatofPrimer.jpg

I taped up the eyes and vents with Scotch Blue, as well as the rim of the helmet opening (shown below). The rest of the interior was just lined with scrap paper, for any floating paint particles that may make their way in there. This was my first attempt at spray painting a very 3D object, so I missed a spot or two, as you can see on the lower part of the ear cavity in this photo:
InteriorforPainting.jpg

Not a big deal since my next step will be to use spot putty on the few pinholes, wet-sand the whole thing, then prime it again.

As for the rest of the costume:

I have decided that I either need different footwear or different pants. The pants give the right shape/silhouette and look great but they are so slim compared to the tough, elevated boots that the combination results in what you might expect a teenage goth to wear. (Not that there is anything wrong with that, it just is not the look of the costume.) I've been looking at these two photos:
2398528-redhood_n_outlaws_009_18.jpgRH201.jpg

The first one shows that the footwear actually looks more like shoes, or very low-platform boots (which the Magnums are not). Lighter, more flexible footwear makes a lot of sense considering the combat style of Red Hood. The second photo shows the pants as slightly less tight than in other references (more slim-suit-tight as opposed to muscle-hugging), while also showcasing low-soled footwear.

Basically, it looks like I could get away with a more comfortable pair of pants (meaning slightly looser) without compromising the costume too much. So I think I am going to return the pants I posted and hope something better comes along. As for the shoes, the Magnums will likely be shelved, as they aregreat for the older version of the costume, but I need to find an alternative for this one. *sigh*

As predicted, the 1st primer coat revealed a couple more pinholes that needed filling:

Pinholes.jpg

It was time for Bondo Spot Putty! 1st time using the stuff and man was I glad I invested in a respirator. The only time I smelled it was when I flexed my face muscles from discomfort, which broke the respirator seal very briefly, and that was enough! Smelly stuff... but the application went all right. I was able to get all the depressions and pin holes, plus the one or two knicks that were my fault from a wild gesture with the rotary tool while cutting the vents.
Bondo 1.jpgBondo 2.jpg

Here's hoping the weekend wet-sanding goes smoothly, all the imperfections are filled in, and I can move on to the 2nd primer coat!

It's the end of the weekend, time for an update!

With this being my first project, each step is a discovery. For example, I didn't like how smeary things were getting with the wet-sanding (using slightly soapy water), so I did the rest of the sanding using dry 600 grit sand paper. Some of the Bondo was harder to remove than other places, hence the spaces where you start to see the cast underneath the paint again.

Wet Sand 1.1.jpgWet Sand 1.2.jpg

Then, it was time for the second primer coat. I used a different color so that when I sand this coat down, I know how far is too far.

2nd Coat of Primer.jpg

Learning from previous mistakes, I was very thorough this time around, making sure to get the bottom rim, the underside of the "ears" a the brow and nose areas. I can still see one or two slight imperfections where the Bondo did not quite fill in the entire hole. I am not on any time constraints, so I just have to decide if they bug me enough to apply a second helping of bondo, or forge ahead. They are small enough that no one else will really notice, I'll just know.

And the search for pants, boots, and shirt materials continues, unfortunately. I am still pricing things out and such.

Minor setback today.

Wet sanded the 2nd layer of primer this evening:
Wet-Sand 2.jpg

While doing so, I noticed what I can only describe as a split in the paint, above one of the eyes:
Hidden Bubble.jpg

I gently poked at it with a hobby knife, and felt it depress slightly. My fear all but confirmed, I started to chip away at what was clearly a hollow spot:
Revealed Bubble.jpg

BALLS! Of all the places to get an imperfection that size! My guess is a thin resin film formed over the air pocket while the cast was drying, and it probably tore open while I was sanding the first primer coat. *sigh* Looks like I will have to break out the Bondo again, and possibly buy another can of primer.

I need opinions on boots!

Here's what I'm going for:
RedHoodBoot.jpg

Below is what I have. I returned the pants shown, but they give an idea of what the boots will look like with a tight fitting pant:
IMG_20140623_205846_942.jpg

(Pardon my poor quality. Phone camera, brightened for visibility's sake.)

I think, even with pants that came down further over the boots (which is my end goal), I still need boots that a bit less bulky (i.e. a lower sole/heel). Am I being overly critical?

Personally, I think those look great. I think they'll also be more comfortable than anything smaller you get. But hey, if you don't think they're the ones, keep looking. You can always come back to these.

Minor setback today.

Wet sanded the 2nd layer of primer this evening:

While doing so, I noticed what I can only describe as a split in the paint, above one of the eyes:
View attachment 344485

I gently poked at it with a hobby knife, and felt it depress slightly. My fear all but confirmed, I started to chip away at what was clearly a hollow spot:
View attachment 344486

BALLS! Of all the places to get an imperfection that size! My guess is a thin resin film formed over the air pocket while the cast was drying, and it probably tore open while I was sanding the first primer coat. *sigh* Looks like I will have to break out the Bondo again, and possibly buy another can of primer.
How did the bondo work turn out.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back