[COMPLETE] Skyrim-Glass Bow (Foam Build)

arborealkey

COMPLETE
Here is a picture taken by Tenhaku Photographie (https://www.facebook.com/TenhakuPhotographie/) during the glass armor photoshoot.
21457783_1790105497685636_5891266925883067017_o.jpg

Hello !
Several months after building my glass armor (thread: https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=268251), I'm finally making a matching glass weapon for a possible photoshoot.

A picture of said armor (taken by Elkashir-san)
17159059_413262385675016_6733051522049453256_o.jpg
I made better straps since the picture was taken (out of faux leather and metal buckles).

This version is from a mod, I totally forgot which one (it might be "Immersive Weapons", I'm not sure, I'll try to check), it's basically the vanilla bow with extra blades (which look like they were taken from the battleaxe model).

It looks like this:
17016823_411801085821146_1036873578974582170_o (1).jpg

And here is the quiver:
20170719110905_1.jpg

I'm building this out of EVA foam (density 100kg/m3, thicknesses 10,5 and 3mm), with a multilayer pipe as a core for support.

After making my pattern (by using a screenshot as a layer in GIMP and redrawing the main lines), I started making the glass blades, which looked like this at first:
20170718_174728.jpg

I started detailling them a bit:
20170718_191526.jpg

And I also made a sort of "size test" on the floor...the white tube is the multilayer pipe I was talking about.
20170718_224548.jpg

I only started this yesterday so there isn't much to see for the moment, right now I'm working on the limbs.

Last edited:
Re: Skyrim-Glass Bow

Amazing details on your armor.

This is an awesome build so far. Looking forward to updates.

Amazing details on your armor.

This is an awesome build so far. Looking forward to updates.
Thanks a lot !
The armor is kicking ass! Looking forward for the weapon!
Thank you !

I'm still building the "base". Since the in-game model seems to have multiple "layers", I'll probably use craft foam to make this kind of details. Besides the multilayer pipe which holds the big glass blades and the handle together, I put a strong steel wire inside the "limb" I just added (I think I'll attach the string to it as well).
It's attached to the pipe like this (I know, it looks disgusting but it works...)
20170719_140258.jpg
(I still have to bend it a bit more to be sure it won't move)

The bow looks pretty huge ingame compared to my character, so I made a pretty huge one in real life too (also, I'm not wearing the armor, which makes me slightly bulkier). The limbs are not symetrical at all since I just taped my pieces together to take a picture (I blame the largest "blades" in fact, one of them is in the right place while the other isn't).
bow1.jpg

Last edited:

Awesome work! I look forward to seeing it painted and finished, as I have always found that to be the trickiest with TES props.

After seeing your armor I'm sure this will look exactly like the screenshot!

I'll have to download that mod now! I think I only ever got a few armor mods for Skyrim.

Awesome work! I look forward to seeing it painted and finished, as I have always found that to be the trickiest with TES props.
Thank you ! i hope I wont disapoint, I'm not really good at painting.
After seeing your armor I'm sure this will look exactly like the screenshot!

I'll have to download that mod now! I think I only ever got a few armor mods for Skyrim.
I especially like the popular "Immersive Armors" as well as "Warmonger Armory". My bow will not look exactly like the screenshot though, since I'm making it to match my own armor, which has all those engravings.

That is a huge bow... going to look awesome with your armor.
I hope so !
Not much progress since last time (but I added some volume). I also have a video (with a really bad shooting posture, I'm terribly sorry), showing how the limbs move thanks to the steel wire (I'm still using an elastic string though, so the bow isn't actually functionnal).

[video]https://www.facebook.com/CephalonArKe/videos/687122284830264/[/video]
(Sorry about the FB link by the way)

Very cool, I really love how the bow animates from pulling the cord! Definitely gonna have to follow this :D. What sort of paints are you planning on using to prevent the bow from flaking after bending so much? (Sorry if this was answered and I missed it)

Very cool, I really love how the bow animates from pulling the cord! Definitely gonna have to follow this :D. What sort of paints are you planning on using to prevent the bow from flaking after bending so much? (Sorry if this was answered and I missed it)

My acrylic paint bends pretty well, I haven't had any problem with it yet...

Ok, the photoshoot was finally earlier than I planned, and I entered the rush mode, and totally forgot to update the thread since ! The finished thing looked like this:
20449010_690909254451567_4305371735151090078_o.jpg
20543991_691653754377117_7610532638185104100_o.jpg

We took really cool pictures (in the wiiiiild) with the full armor, the quiver, and the bow. I might do a glass battleaxe later.

Wow! It looks like you ripped it right out of the screen.
I took some liberties with the design to match my own armor, but thank you !

WOW! That is awesome work. Very nice paint job. Did you use an airbrush?
Thanks a lot ! no, it's all painted with a sponge. I just uploaded my first video ever, and it's about the paintjob of the armor.

Here is the link: https://www.facebook.com/CephalonArKe/videos/695306497345176/

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back