collection showoff! - Video Tour - last page

Re: collection showoff! - Finished Batman Begins lifesize display! Pg 16

Thanks guys - There's too much "stuff" on page 16 - I'm posting the Robocop thread onto page 17 for easier navigation.

Okay! back to business. I just got my Robocop display to where I want it. It required me to rip the entire costume apart and rip the mannequins arms off... yadda yadda. Repositioning everything was tough, this is not an easy costume to put on and off a rigid mannequin. I couldn't imagine wearing something like this for hours on end. Kudos to those who have...

This is a Bruce Hansing Robocop suit obviously.... as Bruce was the only one who ever finished and produced a full suit of Robocop armor. To my humble recollection, this suit has some link to the original suit. Perhaps molded from a cast of the stunt suit...or cast from the molds of the stunt suit... or cast from molds from a molded stunt suit <--- (seriously, if read carefully, they're all different things)

The main thing I had to do with this was get my mouthpiece painted. Monte Ward also painted this up for me and did a stellar job, like the Bale face posted above. He can be contacted at dreggs88@hotmail.com
Again, there's a multilayered paint job going on here that looks both realistic even in flash photographs.

This was an especially tough paint job because the original maker casted this in BROWN bubbly silicone. Brown.. seriously... who casts stuff in brown? I thank Monte publicly for getting this to look like the one true Robocop.

Anyways - on with the pics. Tell me what you think!

Re: collection showoff! - Finished Robocop lifesize display! Pg 17

I can't believe I just spent the last 3 hours reading this entire thread. The pictures are just incredible and I feel like this is a room I've walked around in day after day because I now know every wall and display like the back of my hand! the Robocop suit, just like every suit you have on display, is just so amazing.
Can't wait to see the finished R2 as well.
In regards to your Katana from many, many pages back I'm going to assume you have a good polishing kit for it? If not, there are a few I can recommend.

LOVE THAT ROBOCOP! Congrats on getting it finished. Monte is a great talent and a really cool guy, always puts out awesome work.
Your collection is amazing.

mike

Thomas, are the robo-gloves wearable on the Bruce suit and if so is there a reasonable range of articulation?

-Ry

Thomas, are the robo-gloves wearable on the Bruce suit and if so is there a reasonable range of articulation?

-Ry

I've got a bunch of sets of gloves, some wearable, some not. The wearable ones are made of foam filled latex. The articulation sucks. They're really big and bulky so you can barely make a fist or give someone the finger. Maybe my hands are just too small.....

Good luck with the baby and your amazing collection. My 4 year-old son considers my Man Cave his own place and follows me in there all the time. Sometimes, he even eyeballs me when I pick up certain props that are his favorites because he's afraid that I might damage them or give them away.

LACrimeGuy

GIANT DARTH VADER (31 INCH) FIGURE - YouTube

Re: collection showoff! - Ridiculously Accurate Superman Reeve costume

Superman superman superman -sigh- what a pain in the butt you are Superman...

After about a decade of attempting a lifesize superman, I think I've come a bit closer.

The main upgrade to my Christopher Reeve Superman display is a brand new costume from Action Costumes.

Let me tell you, I have never seen a finer Reeve Superman costume anywhere! They were a pleasure to deal with, I've dealt with them before, and they make everything to order so things take a bit of time. One of the problems that has plagued many Superman costumers is the fabric. I think Action Costumes nailed it. I've seen close ups of the fabric which can be seen here: ?Prop Store Collection? Superman Costume, Fabric Discussion Continued, Part 2 : The Original Prop Blog ? Jason DeBord's TV and Movie Prop Memorabilia Resource

The bottom line is - it's a really rare, heavy "bridal weight" spandex, where the machine that made the fabric has been long retired.
I urge everyone to take a look at the link above and look at my close up pics. The weave is nearly identical. It's incredible. Action Costume's fabric is thicker than any other superman costume that I've dealt with to date. That being said, the original fabric had a bit more sheen to it. However, the color is an almost near match.

If you can't tell already, I love this costume!

If you want to reach them you can do so through their website, but you have to ask them for the "GOLD edition" which I don't think is listed in their website. ..:Action Costumes:..

On with the pics.

Check out the close up of the fabric.

it came packaged extremely well

Action Costumes had another great costume prior to this one, made in collaboration with Chris King. The Chris King fabric is the one on the right, and the new costume is on the left.
As you can see it's a lot more accurate, the same fabric type was used throughout the emblem.

One of the hardest things to duplicate on the Reeve Superman costume is the color. It's a REALLY weird color that does not translate well in pictures. It's really more teal/ turquoise, but when you take a picture of it, it comes out blue. Part of it has to do with newer camera's "auto white balance" that changes the color to what the camera thinks it should be.

I've decided to take pictures of a spectrum of color temperatures in an attempt to show you how accurate this suit really is. If you were to google Reeve Superman pictures you'll see all of these colors, and that fact that they can be replicated by changing the color temperature is a very good thing.

Here's a close up of the costume when I first got it to show the sheen and the way it changes color just by being in the shadows. Every wrinkle is emphasized so putting this on a lifesize display is a huge problem, as your mannequin has to be silky smooth and perfect.

Action Costumes also redid their cape, making it more accurate by adding button snaps and a liner. They also made their pleats more accurate and the cape overall is awesome.

stay tuned - I'm going to work out a lifesize display for this...

Re: collection showoff! -Ridiculously accurate Reeve Superman costume Pg 17

So, guess what? There are no mannequins out there that are an exact body match for Reeve (shocking I know). Between the post above and this post, there was about three months of work trying to cobble together a mannequin through various parts and it still didnt look right. In the end, I had to pad up a "close enough" mannequin, but I had to do it in a way that no wrinkle would show through the spandex. This was the most frustrating thing in the world. Reeve has the most bizarre body I have ever seen. He's got really thick legs, a giant crotch, a skinny waist, but a massive ribcage that sticks out sometimes even past his pecs. I kid you not, have a look at Reeve's ribcage....

Anyways, as if I didn't commend this suit enough above, it's so accurate it served as a guide for me as to how to pad it up. Essentially, if there was excess material I knew I didn't pad it up enough, if things were stretched too tight, then obviously I had to break out the hacksaw. Another month was spent on the crotch alone. Yes, I spent a month on Reeve's crotch. I underestimated just how massive his crotch is. :lol

Yea yea... I know what you're thinking.. after years of doing this Thomas has finally gone off the deep end... just you wait. It doesn't look like much now, but this is what was necessary to make Reeve look right.

-sigh- where's the love for Superman man? Well, fine - here is the finished product. The costume makes all the difference.
Comments are welcome.

DSC01481_zps402b8ea3.jpg

DSC01464_zps303adbd5.jpg

DSC01465_zpsdc034f93.jpg

That is beautiful!!! Much love for Reeve here :)
Btw: you can ship that old costume directly to me ;)

Great life-size piece there, seriously one of the best I have seen. Congrats!!

Simply amazing collection!! I've never seen anything like it!
Do you have the Blade Runner gun? It would go great with your gun collection.

Incredible collection! Congratulations on your new baby!

Incredible collection! Congratulations on your new baby!

Incredibly at the start of this thread I was worried about my first kid, somewhere around page 10 the 2nd kid came along and in a few months I'll be all worried about a THIRD. talk about a journey....

Wow. Congratulations - for the third time then! :D

I sent a message to the mods asking why this thread was moved to the "DC costume" section. Yes your last costume is a DC Superman outfit, but the overall thread is a REPLICA PROP collection show off thread. I believe it should have stayed in the Replica Prop section. Hopefully it get moved back as it will get more views over there and be inspiration to all of the replica prop collectors ;)

FANTASTIC DISPLAYS!!!!

WOW Incredible collection you have there Thomas, I love your lifesize Robocop, OK after seing your Superman costume I will definately contact AC, were did you get the boots? BTW I know how difficult it is to display properly on mannequins, they are all too skinny with way too long legs. I had the same problem with my Spidey suit.

Gerardo

I sent a message to the mods asking why this thread was moved to the "DC costume" section. Yes your last costume is a DC Superman outfit, but the overall thread is a REPLICA PROP collection show off thread. I believe it should have stayed in the Replica Prop section. Hopefully it get moved back as it will get more views over there and be inspiration to all of the replica prop collectors ;)

Thanks Moviefreak, I did the same. I can understand why they moved my thread - they were probably only looking at the title. They must have thousands of thread to go through. I'm sure it'll get moved back

FANTASTIC DISPLAYS!!!!

WOW Incredible collection you have there Thomas, I love your lifesize Robocop, OK after seing your Superman costume I will definately contact AC, were did you get the boots? BTW I know how difficult it is to display properly on mannequins, they are all too skinny with way too long legs. I had the same problem with my Spidey suit.

Gerardo

Gerardo, you have some amazing displays yourself. In fact I look to your displays once in a while for inspiration. I remember how you cut the calves of your spiderman mannequin. That gave me the strength to start sawing the legs of some of my displays too.

The boots are from Action Costume too- but mine are an older pair. They probably have a newer more accurate pair now. It's the only part of the suit that I didn't upgrade this time around.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back