Collaboration to create full “Advanced Potion-Making”

Hello, great work.
Over the last few weeks, I've been creating a version of ADVANCED POTION MAKING, and would enjoy joining and helping here. If there is a discord I'll happily join and do what i can. My discord is silkysenko91 #7199. I've written around 150 pages and am looking to hit the 200 mark by tomorrow (11/09/2020).
Hope to be able to help and hear back soon from you guys.

Wow! 150 pages, that's amazing! Is your text based on the movie prop contents shown in this thread, or you made it from scratch?

Sadly, we still don't have a Discord server.

Wow! 150 pages, that's amazing! Is your text based on the movie prop contents shown in this thread, or you made it from scratch?

Sadly, we still don't have a Discord server.
I am actually up to 223 pages as of this response. And yeah, it is based upon both the movie version shown here and homages to what others have made over the years.

I am actually up to 223 pages as of this response. And yeah, it is based upon both the movie version shown here and homages to what others have made over the years.

That's amazing! been following this for some time now and a discord would be so cool! Don't have much experience with photoshop or anything but ive written quite a lot of content which i would only have to translate :)

Awesome. i can help in the translation bit, if you'll send it to me.
I am actually pretty good with photoshop and can help there as well, if you'd like.

That's amazing! been following this for some time now and a discord would be so cool! Don't have much experience with photoshop or anything but ive written quite a lot of content which i would only have to translate :)

Excellent! I can do the translation if it's Spanish to English. It's important to gather all the contents here so a438980 and DarkWaters can fit them in the master file for the project.

I'm new here, is there a way i can see the master file? Who do i contact?

So, from what I could determine after reviewing imag

Love the work you did on the table of contents, but just a couple of things. For one, to match the screenshot of the contents page in the film, how about adding "The" to "Preparation of Polyjuice Potion". Also, in order to fit the pre-introduction pages (Title page, about the author, title w/ publisher and copyright info, and the table of contents itself) what about pushing the beginning pages back a bit? Originally I used the 4th ed. images to work out the page numbers into this: View attachment 1030491

But after reviewing the same images everyone else has I ended up with a pages breakdown of this:
View attachment 1030551

Obviously, to match the only available images of the 2nd ed. contents I do agree that dropping "The Potion Making Process Part V.I" is necessary, but I don't think the first word of the mismatching section is "Jinxes". It looks like some four-letter word. Here's the two available images of that entry more close-up.
View attachment 1030555View attachment 1030556
If the cursive writing could be guess at then at least then we may be able figure out what the section is supposed to be.
Here's what we got for the 1st chapter so far. (Attachment included)

What's needed:

Probably need to replace all repeating text -

"Alchemists enjoyed prestige and support through the centuries,
though not for their pursuit of those goals, nor the mystic and
philosophical speculation that dominates their literature. Rather it
was for their mundane contributions to the chemical industries of
the day the invention of gunpowder, ore testing and refining, metal
working, production or ink, dyes, paints, and cosmetics, leather
tanning, ceramics and glass manufacture, preparation of extracts &
liqours, and so on. It seems that the preparation of aqua vitae, the
“water of life”, was a fairly popular “experiment” among Europeans.

Potions, from antiquity until well into the Modern Age, a physics
devoid of metaphysical insight would have been as unsatisfying as
a metaphysics devoid of physical manifestation. For one thing, the
lack of common words for chemical concepts and processes, as well
as the need for secrecy, led alchemists to borrow the terms and
symbols of biblical and pagan mythology, astrology, kabbalah and
other mystic and esoteric fields so that even the plainest chemical
recipe ended up reading like an abstuse magic incantation.

The best known goals of the alchemists were the transmutation of
common metals into gold or silver (less well known is plant alchemy,
or “spagyric”); the creation of a “panacea,” a remedy that supposedly
would cure all diseases and prolong life indefinitely; and the
discovery of a universal solvent.
Although these were not the only uses for the science, they were the
ones most documented and well known. Starting with the Middle
Ages, European alchemists invested much effort on the search for
the “philosopher’s stone”, a legendary substance that was believed
to be an essential ingredient for either or both of those goals. The
philosopher’s stone was believed to mystically amplify the user’s
knowledge of alchemy so much that anything was attainable."

That would mean we need write ups for "The Right Use of the Ingredients", "The Right Dosage of Potions", and "Different Methods of Potion Preparations"

We also need "A Historical Potions Timeline" and "Practical Work".
Still working out some of the kinks, but it looks like we have the majority of Chapter One pretty much done. While Darkwaters is putting things together with Adobe InDesign, I've just been using Microsoft Word and Photoshop to write up text and try to figure out illustrations to add. Anyone want to take a crack at writing a couple of pages on "Different Methods of Potion Preparation"?
Here's all the information about what's been already written and what's not. If you scroll down from the Excel table you'll find some other pages written. The files are samples of the master files. a438989 and DarkWaters take the content we create and put it in that master file. You should message them, as you have almost all the book done and we need that because it would give a good progress to de project. Of course you could change what's been already written and they'll see if fits better with the rest of the text.

I'm new here, is there a way i can see the master file? Who do i contact?

Hey Silkysenko91!

As ElSenitorX mentioned, I have an InDesign file that I've been adding and updating with all the latest content. It's been awhile since I've done anything to this project as life seems to get in the way sometimes, but for some reason, the Fall season always puts me back into the mood and I've been thinking about jumping back on.

I haven't used Discord too much, how would it make it easier? Just curious as I don't know :)

Also, thanks for keeping this thread alive!

Hey Silkysenko91!

As ElSenitorX mentioned, I have an InDesign file that I've been adding and updating with all the latest content. It's been awhile since I've done anything to this project as life seems to get in the way sometimes, but for some reason, the Fall season always puts me back into the mood and I've been thinking about jumping back on.

I haven't used Discord too much, how would it make it easier? Just curious as I don't know :)

Also, thanks for keeping this thread alive!
It'd be much faster, it is like a group chat. We can make suggestions and additions in real time. I think it might work, but we need you and a438980 to be there.

I'm not saying discord would be the easier solution, I was just saying if everyone thought it maybe more accessible as it alerts your phone, being that it is an app, when there is a notification instead of looking for an email update (at least in my case haha). So, maybe easier isn't the wording I'm looking for, you would just receive notifications quicker? I use it for the hockey leagues I'm in, instead of relying on emails.
And of course, I've been working on my versions (I'm doing a fifth edition and an amalgamation of second and mine, so I can do the annotations and all that jazz) for a few months now, and man do I wish I would've stumbled upon this thread sooner.

It'd be much faster, it is like a group chat. We can make suggestions and additions in real time. I think it might work, but we need you and a438980 to be there.
I'm not saying discord would be the easier solution, I was just saying if everyone thought it maybe more accessible as it alerts your phone, being that it is an app, when there is a notification instead of looking for an email update (at least in my case haha). So, maybe easier isn't the wording I'm looking for, you would just receive notifications quicker? I use it for the hockey leagues I'm in, instead of relying on emails.
And of course, I've been working on my versions (I'm doing a fifth edition and an amalgamation of second and mine, so I can do the annotations and all that jazz) for a few months now, and man do I wish I would've stumbled upon this thread sooner.

Well I would be down to get a discord up and running, who wants to take that on? Maybe a438980 will also come back from the dead...

Well I would be down to get a discord up and running, who wants to take that on? Maybe a438980 will also come back from the dead...
I can go ahead and create one, as I'm already on discord? And if A438980 is dead, maybe we should just contact the other person and see if they can get in touch with a4? I don't know, hopefully he isn't mia for too long.

I can go ahead and create one, as I'm already on discord? And if A438980 is dead, maybe we should just contact the other person and see if they can get in touch with a4? I don't know, hopefully he isn't mia for too long.
Don't worry, he'll probably appear soon or later. I'm joining the server! Hope it helps us to keep the project running constantly.

I was also able to find alarm18's copy of Advanced potion making pdf somewhere but I have forgot where it is. Part 2 is miss
HoganPW While I support this project, you should not be sharing Alarm 18's pdfs here on this forum. Those are not part of this collaboration and I do not think he gave you permission to post those to this forum

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back