Collaboration to create full “Advanced Potion-Making”

Has anyone proposed yet ? I am willing to give a try, but I am a non native speaker... If someone is ready to proofread once I am done writing, I am fine.

Hey Raphius,
At this point we have everything except for "Different Methods of Potion Preparations" covered for the first chapter. I would be happy to proofread once you're done if you would like to try. It needs to be 2 pages long on the subject, but if you can't think of enough to write we can fill up what we can with illustrations.

Sounds like a plan. Is there a deadline ?
No, not really. To let us know that you're still working on it, if you could give us an update in a week then we would appreciate it. As long as I know someone is working on a section then it makes it easier to decide what the rest of us can work on.

I will need to read part 1 as well as all the different potion makings the book will include. Just to make sure I am coherent with what will be published. Is that possible ?

I will need to read part 1 as well as all the different potion makings the book will include. Just to make sure I am coherent with what will be published. Is that possible ?

Here's what I have of the first chapter, which still needs to be tweaked a bit. Don't worry about matching the other part of that section (pages 21-23 going by the page numbers in the file) since they are from the original prop. Minalima used text from a Wikipedia page on alchemy to fill in the original prop, so the text on the other parts of that section are repeated in a few places. If you want to make it work with the other two pages you can, but it's ok if you just write one page on that subject and ignore the other parts of the section.

Last thing before I go to bed, here is a rough listing of every section of the book.
Breakdown of Pages.png
Sections highlighted in green are done or at least almost done.
Sections highlighted in yellow are being worked on by someone already.
Everything that's not highlighted is open to whoever wants to work on it. The number of pages that section takes is listed next to the name of the section.

Alright, actually most potion makings aren't written yet. So, for instance, I could write some potions would use verbal or non verbal spells (or no spells at all), Simmer or right timing potions, daily potions or specific season / astronomical time ?

Good night !

Last edited:
Alright, actually most potion makings aren't written yet. So, for instance, I could write some potions would use verbal or non verbal spells (or no spells at all), Simmer or right timing potions, daily potions or specific season / astronomical time ?

Good night !

We can definitely still put in more potions, but since each potion recipe takes up about two pages each and most sections are kinda short it may be a bit difficult to fit a lot it. Mainly what we need are creative writers who can write information to fill up most sections. We can use 347 images/diagrams total in the book, but we still need a lot of informational text.

Since the beginning of the book suggests that readers won't need spells for these potions, maybe leave out and spells from any of the potions you write about.
Also, to make writing a potion recipe easier for anyone planning to, a lot of Harry Potter wiki pages like Pottermore lists ingredients for a lot of existing potions and those lists of ingredients can make it easier to make up your own recipe. You can also do a Google search to find plants and flowers with special meanings that you can tie into what your potion does (for example: Palm Lily plants and shamrocks are supposedly good luck so awhile back I made a Felix Felicis potion recipe that used parts of those plants). Just remember that this book is for ADVANCED potion making, so it should have difficult recipes which take a long time to brew.
A few sources for ingredient & potion help: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)

Still working out some of the kinks, but it looks like we have the majority of Chapter One pretty much done. While Darkwaters is putting things together with Adobe InDesign, I've just been using Microsoft Word and Photoshop to write up text and try to figure out illustrations to add. Anyone want to take a crack at writing a couple of pages on "Different Methods of Potion Preparation"?
That is looking pretty awesome! but why the content pages are written in antimony instead of Farao?
I' m not really good writting content but if photoshop or indesign qualities are needed i can help!

Oh sorry, I messed up, I meant I could write inside the "different methods of preparation" that potions would use verbal or non verbal spells (or no spells at all), Simmer or right timing potions, daily potions or specific season / astronomical time.

If there is no need for verbal / non verbal spells part then it's fine ! Except if someone comes up with a potion with such thing.

That is looking pretty awesome! but why the content pages are written in antimony instead of Farao?
I' m not really good writting content but if photoshop or indesign qualities are needed i can help!
Thanks dortega, I'm loving what we have so far!
I'm a little confused about what you mean by the content being in Antimony. I used Antimony in a few spots in the book, since Minalima used both Farao and Antimony in the original and since it's the closest font I have to Prison Pro for the Table of Contents, but most of the rest of the content SHOULD be showing up as Farao. Any chance you could send a screenshot of what is displaying in Antimony?
Photoshop skills will DEFINITELY be a big help in parts of this project. I have a collection of books (all in PDF format) with illustrations and diagrams that match the style of what Minalima used, and I have been trying to use Photoshop to edit them for use but I have very little previous experience with Photoshop and am sure someone with experience could do better. Any chance I could send a couple PDFs and have you make the images into high-quality black & white JPGs with everything except the black writing showing?
As an example I'm trying to turn images like the first into images like the second, but with hopefully slightly better results since I seem to end up removing some of the image details:
FPAb058.jpgFPAb058 a.png

Oh sorry, I messed up, I meant I could write inside the "different methods of preparation" that potions would use verbal or non verbal spells (or no spells at all), Simmer or right timing potions, daily potions or specific season / astronomical time.

If there is no need for verbal / non verbal spells part then it's fine ! Except if someone comes up with a potion with such thing.

OH! Ok, that definitely makes sense and I like it. Because of the wording used earlier, if you write about spells being used then maybe make it seem like he knows that some potion-makers use spells different ways but that he doesn't approve of using spells on potions? Great ideas about the timing of things.

Thanks dortega, I'm loving what we have so far!
I'm a little confused about what you mean by the content being in Antimony. I used Antimony in a few spots in the book, since Minalima used both Farao and Antimony in the original and since it's the closest font I have to Prison Pro for the Table of Contents, but most of the rest of the content SHOULD be showing up as Farao. Any chance you could send a screenshot of what is displaying in Antimony?
Photoshop skills will DEFINITELY be a big help in parts of this project. I have a collection of books (all in PDF format) with illustrations and diagrams that match the style of what Minalima used, and I have been trying to use Photoshop to edit them for use but I have very little previous experience with Photoshop and am sure someone with experience could do better. Any chance I could send a couple PDFs and have you make the images into high-quality black & white JPGs with everything except the black writing showing?
As an example I'm trying to turn images like the first into images like the second, but with hopefully slightly better results since I seem to end up removing some of the image details:
View attachment 1057188View attachment 1057189

OH! Ok, that definitely makes sense and I like it. Because of the wording used earlier, if you write about spells being used then maybe make it seem like he knows that some potion-makers use spells different ways but that he doesn't approve of using spells on potions? Great ideas about the timing of things.
There is no problem send me a pdf or a zip with all the illustrations u need in black and white and i will do it!!
And about the antimony i was talking about the table of content as i have seen the original one was in farao.

Table of Contents & Cover Page.jpg

There is no problem send me a pdf or a zip with all the illustrations u need in black and white and i will do it!!
And about the antimony i was talking about the table of content as i have seen the original one was in farao.

To be honest, I couldn't tell exactly what font the Table of Contents was for the 2nd edition because all the images i could find are a bit too blurry to be certain. I did see some clear images from the 4th edition which uses the Prison Pro, but unfortunately I don't have that one so I just used Antimony since it's the closest I could find. I'm good with changing it to Farao if y'all think it's that, although I may keep a copy the way it is so we can make a 4th edition copy of the book as well.

You see! I knew someone with experience would be able to make it a lot better than I could!
I have others, but here's at least one of the files full of good symbols.

Attachments

• Alchemy Symbols - Excerpt from Signs, Symbols & Omans.pdf
    12.4 MB · Views: 185
To be honest, I couldn't tell exactly what font the Table of Contents was for the 2nd edition because all the images i could find are a bit too blurry to be certain. I did see some clear images from the 4th edition which uses the Prison Pro, but unfortunately I don't have that one so I just used Antimony since it's the closest I could find. I'm good with changing it to Farao if y'all think it's that, although I may keep a copy the way it is so we can make a 4th edition copy of the book as well.

You see! I knew someone with experience would be able to make it a lot better than I could!
For the alchemy symbols i have a font with all of them and looks better for the quality i will search it. If you have drawing or other things yoy want to cleen send it!

It has been a while I didn't use photoshop ! It needs a few more tweaks but here it is !
You can compare side by side, I didn't loose much details, it's the same.
FPAb058.jpg

That's nice, but lines and outlines are too thick in my opinion. Good job though !

Last thing before I go to bed, here is a rough listing of every section of the book.
View attachment 1056668
Sections highlighted in green are done or at least almost done.
Sections highlighted in yellow are being worked on by someone already.
Everything that's not highlighted is open to whoever wants to work on it. The number of pages that section takes is listed next to the name of the section.
Hey,
I can try to write the "10 Basic Steps for a Perfect Potion". I'm also a non native speaker so if someone is wiling to proofread once I'm done, it would be great.

I have a question about the number of pages. The number is the number of A4 pages or the number of book sized pages ?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back