Collaboration to create full “Advanced Potion-Making”

That table in the Snape's edition is actually done with the Koch Signs from what I've seen. Not really anything found per se, besides the little squares. Those look like scans. The fourth edition on the other hand, which I've seen in person in detail many times does have a found table there and it is not the same one which you posted.

Well drat, you are definitely right. I guess I was thinking of some other images when I saw those illustrations. Still looks like something that could be incorporated into the book though.

That aside, just finished the text portion of the section on purifying Caxambu roots.
Purification of Caxambu Roots.png
I still want to put some illustrations in there, but it was still fun to write.

Awesome stuff everyone!

I've been on vacation this past week, but ready to get back into this project!

I'm almost done with that symbol grid page, just trying to figure out that bottom content. Is it from another resource or something Minalima made up?

Symbols in Prop (33).jpg

Last edited:
Awesome stuff everyone!

I've been on vacation this past week, but ready to get back into this project!

I'm almost done with that symbol grid page, just trying to figure out that bottom content. Is it from another resource or something Minalima made up?

View attachment 1045007

I wish I could say one way or another, but the only images I have of it are too blurry to make anything out. Not sure if those are numbers, letters, or symbols listed.

BTW, would you mind posting the Table of Contents you have, or at least sending it to me? I'm going to edit the first post of this thread to show the status and information of each section along with how many pages are in each section. Just want to make sure I'm on the same page as what you've put together. I'm hoping it helps garner us more written contributions from members.

After a great deal of comparing what I could see to the tables and fonts I have saved, I'm pretty sure it's a listing of arabic and hindi numbers. I can't quite confirm where the table is from or what is written on the sides, but most of the characters appear to match these...

91960-004-42DF23AB.jpgwpid-Photo-Jul-31-2013-251-AM.jpgIndias-Unique-Place-in-the-World-of-Numbers-and-Numerals-000.jpg800px-Arabic_numerals-en.svg.pngmain-qimg-d0f36e4f9b4fb269b6958d35139c34cc-c.jpgarabic.jpg

Hope it helps some.

Attachments

• 800px-Arabic_numerals-en.svg.png
    800px-Arabic_numerals-en.svg.png
    44.9 KB · Views: 84
  • wpid-Photo-Jul-31-2013-251-AM.jpg
    wpid-Photo-Jul-31-2013-251-AM.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 97
After a great deal of comparing what I could see to the tables and fonts I have saved, I'm pretty sure it's a listing of arabic and hindi numbers. I can't quite confirm where the table is from or what is written on the sides, but most of the characters appear to match these...

View attachment 1045380View attachment 1045381View attachment 1045382View attachment 1045383View attachment 1045384View attachment 1045385

Hope it helps some.
The text on the left and right alludes to the Hindi, old Arabic and modern Arabic numbering systems.

Hi! It seems that a lot of stuff happend while I wasn't around! I'm glad to see that a lot of people got excited about this little project.

I helped dortega a little bit with the alternative title page, but only with the title font (Or the most accurate title font): Antimony W00 No1. After that, I didn't have time to collaborate. What I can do is this: I can help creating content in .TXT files to upload here, and find appropiate graphics for them. I can clean and/or make some graphics and photos, though I'm not the best at this.

I'm not a native English speaker, so my texts will probably have mistakes. Since I'm from South America (Argentina), I will help making the info about Libatius Borage! So I will try to be as regular as possible, and upload everything as fast as possible.

Hi! I leave here the highest resolution images I could find of two of the graphics used in the Polyjuice Potion from the 2nd Edition:

The trident has the "FATO-VIIDOX-PPP" replaced with "Polyjuice Potion" in the final version.
The "coin with the guy inside" thing doesn't have those borders.
I couldn't find bigger images of the other coin graphic.

I will try to modify and vectorize these so DarkWaters can use them in the master InDesign file.

Attachments

• 29582.jpg
    29582.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 135
  • xParacelsus.jpg
    xParacelsus.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 131
As promises are made to keep, here are the signs used in "The Preparation of Polyjuice Potion". They were all taken from "Archidoxes of Magic", and procesed and modified with Photoshop. I also took the "Trident" and added the words "Polyjuice Potion", and erased the text inside the Lacewig fly, for the 4º Edition. I hope that you find them useful!

Sadly, I don't know where to find the Knotgrass and Leeches images. If it is necessary, I can try to clean them, though I'm not the best with this kind of work. There are still two characters from the 2º Edition I don't find, when I do, I'll let them here.

About creating content, since the fictional author probably speaks either Spanish or Portuguese, I think we should add some kind of credit to the translator. I also wanted to know which pages have been already made, so I can help (I've seen the file "APM Collaboration Created Pages", but maybe some new pages were made and weren't added yet).

Attachments

• #14-15 #0 (4º Ed).png
    #14-15 #0 (4º Ed).png
    224.7 KB · Views: 133
  • #14-15 #0.png
    #14-15 #0.png
    205.8 KB · Views: 132
  • #14-15 #1 (4º Ed).png
    #14-15 #1 (4º Ed).png
    199.6 KB · Views: 111
  • #14-15 #1.png
    #14-15 #1.png
    304.8 KB · Views: 106
  • #14-15 #2.png
    #14-15 #2.png
    180.2 KB · Views: 105
  • #14-15 #2A.png
    #14-15 #2A.png
    19.6 KB · Views: 103
  • #14-15 #2C.png
    #14-15 #2C.png
    18.6 KB · Views: 91
  • #14-15 #2B.png
    #14-15 #2B.png
    22.4 KB · Views: 116
Sorry I've been a bit lax in updating much, but unfortunately more real life problems have been getting in the way. I've been trying to work on a spreadsheet breakdown of all the book sections, how many pages are in each section, images used in each page, contributor's name, etc but keep getting sidelined. I'll finish it when I get a chance and edit the first page of the thread to help us all keep track of what's been done, what's being done (and by whom), and what still needs to be done.

In the meantime, does anyone happen to have the font "Prison Pro" that they could share with me? I want to make sure the fonts used for the book are accurate, which includes using "Prison Pro" for the page numbers on the bottom of each page.

Here's what we got for the 1st chapter so far. (Attachment included)

What's needed:

Probably need to replace all repeating text -

"Alchemists enjoyed prestige and support through the centuries,
though not for their pursuit of those goals, nor the mystic and
philosophical speculation that dominates their literature. Rather it
was for their mundane contributions to the chemical industries of
the day the invention of gunpowder, ore testing and refining, metal
working, production or ink, dyes, paints, and cosmetics, leather
tanning, ceramics and glass manufacture, preparation of extracts &
liqours, and so on. It seems that the preparation of aqua vitae, the
“water of life”, was a fairly popular “experiment” among Europeans.

Potions, from antiquity until well into the Modern Age, a physics
devoid of metaphysical insight would have been as unsatisfying as
a metaphysics devoid of physical manifestation. For one thing, the
lack of common words for chemical concepts and processes, as well
as the need for secrecy, led alchemists to borrow the terms and
symbols of biblical and pagan mythology, astrology, kabbalah and
other mystic and esoteric fields so that even the plainest chemical
recipe ended up reading like an abstuse magic incantation.

The best known goals of the alchemists were the transmutation of
common metals into gold or silver (less well known is plant alchemy,
or “spagyric”); the creation of a “panacea,” a remedy that supposedly
would cure all diseases and prolong life indefinitely; and the
discovery of a universal solvent.
Although these were not the only uses for the science, they were the
ones most documented and well known. Starting with the Middle
Ages, European alchemists invested much effort on the search for
the “philosopher’s stone”, a legendary substance that was believed
to be an essential ingredient for either or both of those goals. The
philosopher’s stone was believed to mystically amplify the user’s
knowledge of alchemy so much that anything was attainable."

That would mean we need write ups for "The Right Use of the Ingredients", "The Right Dosage of Potions", and "Different Methods of Potion Preparations"

We also need "A Historical Potions Timeline" and "Practical Work".

Attachments

• APM_WorkingFile_v5b.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 219
In the meantime, does anyone happen to have the font "Prison Pro" that they could share with me? I want to make sure the fonts used for the book are accurate, which includes using "Prison Pro" for the page numbers on the bottom of each page.

So forget what I said here. While comparing fonts for the page headers (showing the name of the book written in all caps) I figured out that the font used for both is "Antimony No 1". Luckily this is a font I have. So to confirm, the header and footer of the pages are the "Antimony No 1" font and the inside text for the book pages is "Farao OT".

Header Footer Font Comparison.png

Another note about the book and pages sizing... the book pages are folded sheets of standard size printing paper!
I won't bore you with the details of why or how I figured it out, but I can confirm that the sizing all matches up. MinaLima must have made prepared the book this way to make it easier to prepare multiple copies to be used during filming.
The reason this is such happy news is that it means once the pages have been completed anyone who has a printer, access to online tutorials on bookbinding (thank you Youtube), and the right supplies can create a replica of Advanced Potion-Making in their own home!

So forget what I said here. While comparing fonts for the page headers (showing the name of the book written in all caps) I figured out that the font used for both is "Antimony No 1". Luckily this is a font I have. So to confirm, the header and footer of the pages are the "Antimony No 1" font and the inside text for the book pages is "Farao OT".

Antinomy is the font I'm using for the page numbers and headers already, so all good there!

Another note about the book and pages sizing... the book pages are folded sheets of standard size printing paper!
I won't bore you with the details of why or how I figured it out, but I can confirm that the sizing all matches up. MinaLima must have made prepared the book this way to make it easier to prepare multiple copies to be used during filming.
The reason this is such happy news is that it means once the pages have been completed anyone who has a printer, access to online tutorials on bookbinding (thank you Youtube), and the right supplies can create a replica of Advanced Potion-Making in their own home!

My inDesign pages are set to 8x5 pages, so the spreads will print nicely on a 8.5x11 paper that will need to be trimmed a little. I believe I can save out a PDF with the crop marks so it's obvious where to cut.

Minalima did use various resources for the illustrations they put in the original APM prop, and since it appears that the majority of them come from illustrations from Paracelsus' writings, I decided to make the rest of those illustrations available here. Using Photoshop I took images of all the symbols from the Paracelsus book I found online, cleaned them up a bit, and cropped them to make them easier to see.
Paracelsus Image Arrow.jpgParacelsus Image Bug.jpgParacelsus Image Circle Symbols (1).jpgParacelsus Image Circle Symbols (2).jpgParacelsus Image Circle Symbols (3).jpgParacelsus Image Circle Symbols (4).jpgParacelsus Image Circle Symbols (5).jpgParacelsus Image Circle Symbols (6).jpgParacelsus Image Circle Symbols (7).jpgParacelsus Image Circle Symbols (8).jpgParacelsus Image Circle Symbols (9).jpgParacelsus Image Circle Symbols (10).jpgParacelsus Image Circle Symbols (11).jpgParacelsus Image Circle Symbols (12).jpgParacelsus Image Circle Symbols (13).jpgParacelsus Image Circle Symbols (14).jpgParacelsus Image Circle Symbols (15).jpgParacelsus Image Circle Symbols (16).jpgParacelsus Image Circle Symbols (17).jpgParacelsus Image Circle Symbols (18).jpgParacelsus Image Circle Symbols (19).jpgParacelsus Image Circle Symbols (20).jpgParacelsus Image Circle Symbols (21).jpgParacelsus Image Circle Symbols (22).jpgParacelsus Image Circle Symbols (23).jpgParacelsus Image Circle Symbols (24).jpgParacelsus Image Fork.jpgParacelsus Image Table (1).jpgParacelsus Image Table (2).jpgParacelsus Image Triangle.jpgParacelsus Image Words (1).jpgParacelsus Image Words (2).jpgParacelsus Image Words (3).jpgParacelsus Image Words (4).jpgParacelsus Image Words (5).jpgParacelsus Image Symbol (1).jpgParacelsus Image Symbol (2).jpgParacelsus Image Symbol (3).jpgParacelsus Image Symbol (4).jpgParacelsus Image Symbol (5).jpgParacelsus Image Symbol (6).jpgParacelsus Image Symbol (7).jpgParacelsus Image Symbol (8).jpgParacelsus Image Symbol (9).jpgParacelsus Image Symbol (10).jpgParacelsus Image Symbol (11).jpgParacelsus Image Symbol (12).jpgParacelsus Image Symbol (13).jpgParacelsus Image Symbol (14).jpgParacelsus Image Symbol (15).jpg

Still working out some of the kinks, but it looks like we have the majority of Chapter One pretty much done. While Darkwaters is putting things together with Adobe InDesign, I've just been using Microsoft Word and Photoshop to write up text and try to figure out illustrations to add. Anyone want to take a crack at writing a couple of pages on "Different Methods of Potion Preparation"?

Attachments

• Advanced Potion Making - Chapter One.pdf
    5.7 MB · Views: 244
That would mean we need write ups for "The Right Use of the Ingredients", "The Right Dosage of Potions", and "Different Methods of Potion Preparations"

We also need "A Historical Potions Timeline" and "Practical Work".
Has anyone proposed yet ? I am willing to give a try, but I am a non native speaker... If someone is ready to proofread once I am done writing, I am fine.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back