Collaboration to create full “Advanced Potion-Making”

It's just the fabric from the cover and the card stock from the cover. Nothing fancy.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is, is it the greenish colored card stock paper front and back or a white card stock that they just printed the pattern onto one side. When you flip the endpage to get to the half title page, is it white or the green color from the pattern? Does that make sense? Just trying to figure out if the endpage paper they used is green, white or some other color.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is, is it the greenish colored card stock paper front and back or a white card stock that they just printed the pattern onto one side. When you flip the endpage to get to the half title page, is it white or the green color from the pattern? Does that make sense? Just trying to figure out if the endpage paper they used is green, white or some other color.
Ah. It should be metallic. Probably some darker colour. That's how those papers usually look like. I would guess it's probably relatively thin but not to the point that it would be translucent.

Ah. It should be metallic. Probably some darker colour. That's how those papers usually look like. I would guess it's probably relatively thin but not to the point that it would be translucent.

Thanks, LorduDesign! I'll have to visit my local crafts store and see what I can find.

Thanks, LorduDesign! I'll have to visit my local crafts store and see what I can find.

Just make sure to look for the right type of paper in 12"x12” sheets, and maybe keep an eye on which store and paper brand you get so others can reproduce the same effect if it works out well.

These are sketch pages for the section Potion Making Process, Part II.

I think that the physical and chemical processes are necessary for the elaboration of potions. Symbols can be used in the schemes of potion recipes. What do you think?

I took the information from an old book of alchemy "The Art of Distillation".

I love the content you’ve given us so far, and there is DEFINITELY plenty of old books on Alchemy that we can utilize for much of the book’s text content. Google and Wikibooks have books and manuscripts from medieval ages that we can search for and use since they are obviously not going to be copyrighted. There plenty of illustrations, diagrams, and symbols in those old books too that we can use in APM, although image searches for alchemy and/or occult woodcut or illustrations also works well. I have probably over 1k images I’ve saved since starting this project that we can utilize.

Actually, that is a couple of things I wanted to ask you about. The text, content, and layout of what you’ve made is fantastic, but some of the images feel a little more simple than what we can see in the film-used prop. Do you mind if some of the images are switched with something a little more fitting if we can find or make something for them?
Also, the book text is great but the written notes are a bit too clean and crisp to look like actual handwriting. Instead of adding the notes in same file, how about putting them in a duplicate page so we can handwrite the notes once the book is printed out, or scan in handwritten versions of the notes.

Hey DarkWaters. So, I don't know how I missed a posting of yours previously, but sorry for not responding to it before. I kinda feel like a dick now. So to FINALLY respond to this...

Hey A438980....We need to get you a more user friendly name :p

I looked at changing my name on here, but I couldn't really figure out how to do that exactly, but you can just call me "Sorrin" if it's easier.

I also got rid of the blank pages before the Introduction, so if you count the first page of the contents with an imaginary page 1, then the Intro ends up on page 4 as it should. I also agree with you on having the Chapter be it's own page, so I went ahead and updated that too. I exported the inDesign pages as spreads to hopefully give a better sense of page flow.

I'm fine with dropping the blank pages if you want, but the images of the actual prop do seem to have a blank page right before the half-title (which looks like it's right after the front endsheet) and on the page before the table of contents although both of those blank pages do seem to have handwritten notes and/or scribbles...

1037072 1037073

Mostly I just put some of the blank pages and additional information in for fun, to make sure the later page orientation would be correct (left or right depending on screenshots), and to coincide with my own textbooks I used for layout reference.

So this is where we need to make a decision. Now we need to keep in mind that the Book prop is really only a handful of pages that repeat through the entire book. We might see pages out of order of what their page number actually says. With that in mind, I feel like the Contents is the road map we should probably follow and maybe only mimic what the movie shows us if it syncs up with the Contents page. So page 16 is supposed to have "The Use of Shrinking Potion". “The Right Use of the Ingredients” is listed as being on page 12 and “Different Methods of Potion Preparation” isn't technically in the first chapter unless we want that one to be "Different Methods of Preparation" page 21, which might be the same anyways. Just not consistent naming.

I definitely agree that the contents page should be the roadmap for the book, which from what I can tell only really affects the location of the "Different Methods of Preparation" & "The Right Use of the Ingredients" sections.
I noticed that the section titles in the Contents listing sometimes slightly differ from what's on the actual page, although that has meant just dropping the word "The" in the potion recipe sections, so I'm sure "Different Methods of Preparation" & “Different Methods of Potion Preparation” is the same thing.

Also, adding in the other recipes you've listed may cause quite a shift in pages as recipes tend to be a two page spread and the sections you're thinking of putting them in are supposed to be about two pages. I know they're supposed to be in the APM book according to the Books, but maybe we should try to stick to purely the Movie "universe" for this. However, I do like the idea of putting Golpalott’s Third Law in "Antidotes", I feel that will work out great.

I understand your trepidation about adding these recipes, but there are plenty of sections in the book that are multiple pages long that we could slip the recipes into and, just because the recipes we can see are two pages long doesn't mean they ALL have to be the same length. For example, considering how difficult the "Felix Felicis" potion must be to make since it was such a highly-desired reward in the book/movie I kinda think it should be an additional page or two long with directions that would be difficult to follow.

Unfortunately I don't have access to any Adobe products for putting the book together and have to rely on Microsoft Word & Paint to work on this, so I hope you don't mind us relying on you for piecing this all together.

I would like to give an idea that I have been thinking about this week, to connect the whole book. Since it is a book for advanced students, I thought it would be a good idea if the potion-making process was made up of different components. And that serve as ideas to make the chapters that we have put in the index.

A true master potioneer is one who has reached an advanced level of understanding the process of making potions and their elements. All the elements influence to a greater or lesser extent, the final result and, therefore, the desired effect or the duration of these. In the same way that a wrong verb can completely change the meaning of a phrase; the simplest element can alter a potion. The elements that intervene in the process of making potions are classified into four categories: major, minor, tertiary and quaternary.

Major components

• Ingredients.
  • Excipients.
Minor components
  • Potion Equipment.
  • Potion Techniques.
Tertiary components
  • Astronomical elements.
    - Celestial bodies. (planets, satellites and asteroids)
    - Celestial systems. (constellations and galaxies)
Quaternary components
  • Geographical elements.
    - Altitude
    - Season
    - Closest body of water

- Weather
These are some examples of what I want to say;
  • For the ingredients; We can connect them with the ruling planet of that plant or animal. That would serve to know when is the best time to harvest, extract, etc.
  • For potion techniques; We can connect with the constellations. As for example, Capricorn's position increases the fermentation process.
  • For the potions equipment; Silver cauldrons take less than pewter cauldrons. And in addition, if it is used with the phases of the moon, it can be seen enhanced.
  • For the geographical elements; at higher altitude, longer cooking time. And at lower altitude (at sea level), shorter cooking time

Also, as astonomy is one of the basic subjects since the first year, I thought it would be because it is necessary to study it and then learn potions, divination or herbology

Last edited:
Hey DarkWaters. So, I don't know how I missed a posting of yours previously, but sorry for not responding to it before. I kinda feel like a dick now. So to FINALLY respond to this...

Hey, no worries Sorrin!

For example, considering how difficult the "Felix Felicis" potion must be to make since it was such a highly-desired reward in the book/movie I kinda think it should be an additional page or two long with directions that would be difficult to follow.

I don't necessarily think that more directions equal more difficult. I think the added difficulty is usually time based (ie, takes a month to brew) or rarity in the ingredients or the preciseness of each stir etc.

Unfortunately I don't have access to any Adobe products for putting the book together and have to rely on Microsoft Word & Paint to work on this, so I hope you don't mind us relying on you for piecing this all together.

I don't mind at all! I mean, I was planning on doing all that for myself anyways :) I'm more than happy to do the layout, recreation of pages and even add some artwork. Help on the written content is where I would lean on others like yourself.

With that being said, I'm attaching a couple of pages I recreated to the best of my abilities!

DifferentMethodsPreparation.jpg

RightUseIngredients.jpg

It's interesting how much text is reused throughout most of the pages they created for the prop. On "The Right Use of the Ingredients" page, the symbol at the bottom page that had the figure text was a duplicate of the bottom paragraph, so I just made custom text talking about that monogram symbol.

I would like to give an idea that I have been thinking about this week, to connect the whole book. Since it is a book for advanced students, I thought it would be a good idea if the potion-making process was made up of different components. And that serve as ideas to make the chapters that we have put in the index.

A true master potioneer is one who has reached an advanced level of understanding the process of making potions and their elements. All the elements influence to a greater or lesser extent, the final result and, therefore, the desired effect or the duration of these. In the same way that a wrong verb can completely change the meaning of a phrase; the simplest element can alter a potion. The elements that intervene in the process of making potions are classified into four categories: major, minor, tertiary and quaternary.

Major components

• Ingredients.
  • Excipients.
Minor components
  • Potion Equipment.
  • Potion Techniques.
Tertiary components
  • Astronomical elements.
Quaternary components
  • Geographical elements.
    - Altitude
    - Season
    - Closest body of water

- Weather
  • For the ingredients; We can connect them with the ruling planet of that plant or animal. That would serve to know when is the best time to harvest, extract, etc.
  • For potion techniques; We can connect with the constellations. As for example, Capricorn's position increases the fermentation process.
  • For the potions equipment; Silver cauldrons take less than pewter cauldrons. And in addition, if it is used with the phases of the moon, it can be seen enhanced.
  • For the geographical elements; at higher altitude, longer cooking time. And at lower altitude (at sea level), shorter cooking time

Also, as astonomy is one of the basic subjects since the first year, I thought it would be because it is necessary to study it and then learn potions, divination or herbology

I think this is a great idea! And a great starting point for figuring out those Potion Making Process sections. Thanks the Magician!

Does anyone have a high res image of this photo?

Thanks in advanced!

edit: Also, is there anyone that has access to a 4k version of the Half Blood Prince? There's some sequences when he's looking in the book that I would love to get screen caps of.

For example:

Last edited:

Major components

• Ingredients.
  • Excipients.
Minor components
  • Potion Equipment.
  • Potion Techniques.
Tertiary components
  • Astronomical elements.
Quaternary components
  • Geographical elements.
    - Altitude
    - Season
    - Closest body of water

- Weather

Magician,
I agree with DarkWaters. I think it is a great idea and also can help drive home that this is a textbook for ADVANCED potion makers. There does seem to be plenty of older books and manuscripts out there that cover these sort of things, so the hard part really will be just to find the relevant text we can use and edit it to fit the number of pages for the section and still have it make sense.

One thing to think about when we list or talk about ingredients for these potions, especially the ones we have have to create ourselves, is that ingredients have different meanings and properties to them that should tie into what they are used for. When Rowling made up potion recipes for the HP series, she specifically researched and chose ingredients that either had or were once believed to have the kind of properties that connected with the effect the potion was supposed to give (A few references to this: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4). I know this may sound a little more detailed than some might want to do, but I'm hoping that the book we end up is good enough and with enough details that it truly seems like it could be the actual book pulled right from Hogwarts itself. Since Rowling collaborated to create the HP game "Book of Potions", I'd say that potions and ingredients from the game would be at least canon enough to use in this book too.

It's interesting how much text is reused throughout most of the pages they created for the prop. On "The Right Use of the Ingredients" page, the symbol at the bottom page that had the figure text was a duplicate of the bottom paragraph, so I just made custom text talking about that monogram symbol.
DarkWaters,
I love the pages you did! MinaLima certainly did reuse the same symbols again and again in multiple props for both the Harry Potter series and the Fantastic Beasts series. While I have been scrounging for symbols and illustrations to use, I have kept my eye out for some of these symbols so that we can get clear images of them. Speaking of which, I do have a collection of illustrations and diagrams on my computer and will send those to you to look at.

I don't necessarily think that more directions equal more difficult. I think the added difficulty is usually time based (ie, takes a month to brew) or rarity in the ingredients or the preciseness of each stir etc.
I agree that a "complicated" potion doesn't necessarily mean more directions, but I also don't want us to just limit ourselves to making each recipe similar in how many it pages takes up, unless of course the Table of Contents confirms it has to be only a couple of pages long. Just like with recipes for cooking the equipment, ingredients, directions, and even the number of steps will vary from one potion to the next. Another bonus to this is that, since thinking up text for the book can be a little difficult, a couple of longer recipes can help fill up pages.

View attachment 1038048

Thanks in advanced!

edit: Also, is there anyone that has access to a 4k version of the Half Blood Prince? There's some sequences when he's looking in the book that I would love to get screen caps of.

For example:
View attachment 1038049
Unfortunately I have tried to find better images or screenshots of those pages, but haven't had any luck yet. I'll send you what I have been able to find so far, and hopefully it will help.

While searching for information I found out that there is a new book out that might be useful for us: "Harry Potter: A Journey Through Potions and Herbology" which J.K. Rowling published through Pottermore Publishing. There's only 3 parts for the Potions section and another 3 for the Herbology section, but there might be some usable nuggets of information in there if anyone happens to have a copy of the book.

While searching for information I found out that there is a new book out that might be useful for us: "Harry Potter: A Journey Through Potions and Herbology" which J.K. Rowling published through Pottermore Publishing. There's only 3 parts for the Potions section and another 3 for the Herbology section, but there might be some usable nuggets of information in there if anyone happens to have a copy of the book.

Funny enough, I remembered that my kid has this book which I believe these mini-books are from. At a quick glance I didn't notice much material to use from them, but I'm gonna give them a good read tonight and report back!

I agree that a "complicated" potion doesn't necessarily mean more directions, but I also don't want us to just limit ourselves to making each recipe similar in how many it pages takes up, unless of course the Table of Contents confirms it has to be only a couple of pages long. Just like with recipes for cooking the equipment, ingredients, directions, and even the number of steps will vary from one potion to the next. Another bonus to this is that, since thinking up text for the book can be a little difficult, a couple of longer recipes can help fill up pages.

If memory serves, the "Major" potions are a two page spread in the contents, but if we want to incorporate "mini" potions, we can make those a one page spread where it seems to make sense.

View attachment 1038048

Thanks in advanced!

For example:

View attachment 1038049
DarkWaters, of the images you are looking for, what pages do you need? That I have a free time and I can look

This is what I have about Polyjuice Potion
_
If I'm not mistaken, they are from someone who posted them here a long time ago

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 218
  • APM - Preparation of the Polyjuice Potion A001.jpg
    APM - Preparation of the Polyjuice Potion A001.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 182
  • APM - Preparation of the Polyjuice Potion A002.jpg
    APM - Preparation of the Polyjuice Potion A002.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 160
  • APM - Preparation of the Polyjuice Potion A003.jpg
    APM - Preparation of the Polyjuice Potion A003.jpg
    810.7 KB · Views: 141
  • APM - Preparation of the Polyjuice Potion A004.jpg
    APM - Preparation of the Polyjuice Potion A004.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 136
  • APM - Preparation of the Polyjuice Potion A005.jpg
    APM - Preparation of the Polyjuice Potion A005.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 129
  • APM - Preparation of the Polyjuice Potion A006.jpg
    APM - Preparation of the Polyjuice Potion A006.jpg
    835.6 KB · Views: 121
  • APM - Preparation of the Polyjuice Potion A007.jpg
    APM - Preparation of the Polyjuice Potion A007.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 127
  • APM - Preparation of the Polyjuice Potion A008.jpg
    APM - Preparation of the Polyjuice Potion A008.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 124
  • APM - Preparation of the Polyjuice Potion C002.jpg
    APM - Preparation of the Polyjuice Potion C002.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 117
  • APM - Preparation of the Polyjuice Potion C003.jpg
    APM - Preparation of the Polyjuice Potion C003.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 124
  • APM - Symbols 003.jpg
    APM - Symbols 003.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 141
  • b9d554afe52e61c67138f4f91868bfb2.jpg
    b9d554afe52e61c67138f4f91868bfb2.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 201
  • Polyjuice Potion.pdf
    472.8 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

Thanks, the Magician!

Some images that I need more clarity on are the symbol grid which you have posted in your last post, but from the 2nd edition, as the 4th ed. changed them up. (Compare the two images you posted that shows that grid of symbols.)

I also need more info on what the text is on the Living Death potion. I circled the mystery text in red.

unclearText.png

Yes true, sorry. I thought you wanted the text.
The table gives me that it is a summary of alchemical symbols

Attachments

• Alchemical-symbols-1775.jpg
    Alchemical-symbols-1775.jpg
    415.3 KB · Views: 160
  • Alchemytable.jpg
    Alchemytable.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 164
  • Table.jpg
    Table.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 168
  • U1F700.pdf
    212.6 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back