Cobra Kai Karate Kid tv comedy sequel

I had to bindge watch all 10 episodes last night.. i HATE doing that..

But I was spoiled yesterday trying to look up a instructions video on YouTube... a wicked cool part in episode 10 was ruined for me.. not just by the title but the thumbnail too

So I sat down last night and watched it all so maybe that is the reason for my out come? Because I rushed it?

Before I go any further I want to remind everyone I am a huge advocate for this show, never really complained about it. Loved the story so far

But this season… boy am I confused? I think it’s because we went into it with out knowing the goal?

I also feel like there’s too many F words now.. I am curious if someone new is in charge because this season feels really different then all the rest… Daniel wouldn’t talk like this..

Another thing I picked up on is.. if the actors back is facing the camera and is talking.. the facial expression and mouth isn’t even close to matching what that actor is saying

I’ve caught it 4 times..

With any film or series there is nothing that pisses me off more when a character takes critical blows… setting up dialog like that character is dead.. only to have them survive in the end.. heh…

And that ending… the ending to me is the show jumping the shark…

Maybe I have to watch this all again because I rushed it.. but man, am I really confused on what direction this is going.. idk..

Don’t even know if I’ll post this… just being honest on how I feel

To leave on a positive note, I love stingray!! LOL “come with me if you want to live” LOL!!!!

I had to bindge watch all 10 episodes last night.. i HATE doing that..

But I was spoiled yesterday trying to look up a instructions video on YouTube... a wicked cool part in episode 10 was ruined for me.. not just by the title but the thumbnail too

So I sat down last night and watched it all so maybe that is the reason for my out come? Because I rushed it?

Before I go any further I want to remind everyone I am a huge advocate for this show, never really complained about it. Loved the story so far

But this season… boy am I confused? I think it’s because we went into it with out knowing the goal?

I also feel like there’s too many F words now.. I am curious if someone new is in charge because this season feels really different then all the rest… Daniel wouldn’t talk like this..

Another thing I picked up on is.. if the actors back is facing the camera and is talking.. the facial expression and mouth isn’t even close to matching what that actor is saying

I’ve caught it 4 times..

With any film or series there is nothing that pisses me off more when a character takes critical blows… setting up dialog like that character is dead.. only to have them survive in the end.. heh…

And that ending… the ending to me is the show jumping the shark…

Maybe I have to watch this all again because I rushed it.. but man, am I really confused on what direction this is going.. idk..

Don’t even know if I’ll post this… just being honest on how I feel

To leave on a positive note, I love stingray!! LOL “come with me if you want to live” LOL!!!!
I agree that it went a bit far for my liking in some aspects and I do feel Johnny was a little sidelined for Daniel this season.

It seems to be the same writers for season 5 and nothing in particular has changed. Daniel is meant to be a bit more unhinged this season and has been a hothead (see season 1) so this could be the beginnings of Daniel needing to find and regain balance although that has been treaded water already. Daniel has seemed to have found a balance between Cobra Kai's aggressiveness and Mr. Miyagi's focus on defense, learning from his students.

I do agree there was some jump the shark moments and I hope they reign it in and try to get more grounded. There is alot of escalation (kind of like KK2) and there needs to be some realignment.

There is a lot of love for the series by the writers and cast though. The actors themselves try to do alot of their stunts apparently and the cast seem to really like their characters. Im getting an old school film vibe (the actors trying to limit stunt doubles as much as possible, unique choreography per character) from the shooting which is great.

I do feel there needs to be some more bad guys and some more bad female characters. Season 5 has a huge imbalance and the main characters need new rivals, especially Sam.

I'm halfway through. There are things I like about it and others I'm not so keen on. I have a really hard time balancing nostalgia joys for this show with objectivity especially in the moment. I think its because The Karate Kid remained relatively untouched after III for so long and it was such a massive part of my childhood. The Next Karate Kid and the Jackie Chan remake (which I will probably never watch) really don't count.

I've noticed that Johnny has been sidelined as well and that's really not my favorite thing. This show was supposed to be more about him than Daniel.

It does seem a bit jumbled like they're trying to find their footing this season. Again only halfway through and am having a very difficult time resisting a binge watching.

Chozen has been great, I really like the heart/loyalty that they gave him.

A few episodes in, loving it.

Not reading you guyses posts, for spoilers.
But:
Robyn Lively, in the most unexpected of places!

Still got some to go, but think I called it on the Mike Barnes situation even if it doesn't go all the way.

Finished it, way past my bed time!

This season was epic, near perfect, I would say.

With Silver back in the mix Daniel had to come to the fore. But Johnny and Chozen didnt suffer for it.

When the Korean sensei, Kim, came in and they started using Korean martial art terms showed an attention to detail that was superb. The same way they have pulled fan nod backs in seamlessly.

Again, excellent use of Jessica, and Barnes too.

Loved the Rocky references.

Stingray was awesome.

Honestly, if they parked it there, I'd be happy, but unlike any other show, I have complete faith that they can still produce the goods. I doubt they'll get as good as this season, but even on half power it would still be better than most everything else out there.

Where is Hilary S though?

I binged the whole season yesterday. To be honest, when they started talking about Silver's master plan, for a second or two there, I thought it was going to go really dark. Is he training assassins or something? I was kind of let down that it was just another tournament. :lol:

I finished season 5. Although it was a really good time, it was a lot of rinse and repeat, over the top antics, with a jump the shark ending, as mentioned by others. But the things they do well, they do very well. I enjoyed much of it.

Silver was better last season. The more his character is explored the less I care to learn. He has too much cliche James Bond villain vibes, even down to his clothes. Made him more laughable than intimidating. I hope they loose him for the rest of the series although that's not likely. Kreese on the other hand is extremely interesting and well done. Would've loved to have seen more of him this season.

I have a feeling that Kreese is going to sacrifice his life to save Johnny/Robbie/Tori next season or at some point. It's not a huge leap but it would be a great way for the series to end. It's difficult to imagine where they could take this long term without making things even more cartoonishly ridiculousness. I kind of hope they don't drag this out for more than another season but I'll still watch if they do. :lol:

I binged the whole season yesterday. To be honest, when they started talking about Silver's master plan, for a second or two there, I thought it was going to go really dark. Is he training assassins or something? I was kind of let down that it was just another tournament. :lol:
I got a walking dead feeling with this series now..

Every season will have a tournament.. and massive power rangers group battle at the end

It’s become too predictable.. boy friends girlfriends flopping sides..

Over it

What they did to Chozen was humiliating

Every season will have a tournament.. and massive power rangers group battle at the end

Over it

It was always predictable, but its not the destination its the route.
I find its the most fun show I've seen in a long time.

Over it

Yeah I agree about Chozen. By the end of the season he was a joke. The club scene was just awful.

The movie isn't connected to Cobra Kai, at least according to the show runner.

Yeah the upcoming movie is unrelated to Cobra Kai.

Cobra Kai is only really connected to the original 3 karate kid films with Macchio and the fourth with Swank as part of the Miyagi-verse. Since this upcoming film wont have Mr. Miyagi, its unrelated.

Yeah I understand why season 5 is more divisive than the previous seasons. They are sticking to as pretty consistent formula and the relationship drama is kind of getting old. There is also an obvious power imbalance now that all the best fighters are on the good side (Robbie, Miguel, Sam, Tori, Hawk) and the bad guys really need a power boost. Kyler could have been a decent threat but he is designated punching bad and although they gave Kenny an unrealistic power boost to beat Hawk, fans hated it and it seems they are both good now that Silver is finished.

There definitely is a need for another villain besides Kreese/Silver who are both powerful rivals to our heroes and people that wont easily convert to the good side. They dont have to be outright evil but they do need to be challenges.

Cobra Kai is only really connected to the original 3 karate kid films with Macchio and the fourth with Swank as part of the Miyagi-verse. Since this upcoming film wont have Mr. Miyagi, its unrelated.

Yeah I understand why season 5 is more divisive than the previous seasons. They are sticking to as pretty consistent formula and the relationship drama is kind of getting old. There is also an obvious power imbalance now that all the best fighters are on the good side (Robbie, Miguel, Sam, Tori, Hawk) and the bad guys really need a power boost. Kyler could have been a decent threat but he is designated punching bad and although they gave Kenny an unrealistic power boost to beat Hawk, fans hated it and it seems they are both good now that Silver is finished.

There definitely is a need for another villain besides Kreese/Silver who are both powerful rivals to our heroes and people that wont easily convert to the good side. They dont have to be outright evil but they do need to be challenges.
My thought:
Sensei Kim and Kreese in the Sekai Taikai, with a bunch of generic, hard traimed badasses.
The Miyagi/Fang/Kai gang are all up against the violent new threat.
Somewhere along the line Johnny and Kreese will sort their differences. Be it ROTJ Vader style reformation or an ass whooping, this season has to close out their arc. The way S5 gave closure to Daniel's demons with Silver.

In a way, Silver has been the Emporer of this whole show. His treatment of Daniel in KK3 ( so bad, even Jessica still has nightmares!) is most likely what caused him to go off deep at Johnny bringing back Cobra Kai in the first place

You know Silver was definitely a psycho jerk face in KK III but I really think this show is exaggerating his importance in the past in order to make him the villain they want him to be now(which sadly is not very impressive or intimidating). I'm just not buying it.

Next season he's going to fly Daniel on a helicopter to his secret volcano island headquarters and outline his master plan of world domination through karate tournaments. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I loved this season. I feel like it took the ridiculous concept of how important karate is to everyone in the series and turned it up to 11.

Was it ridiculous? Yes. Was much of it unbelievable? Yes. We’re the villains almost cartoon characters? Yes. Did I care? No.

I was highly, highly entertained for the entire season.

I hope we get more.

Whoa whoa whoa, have you forgotten!? P3nis breath is on cobra Kai’s side now!!!

:p

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back