Limited Run CLOSED: Kylo Ren CNC aluminium ultra accurate Saber

I was gonna wait until It's finished but I've impressed myself so much I thought I'd post some progress pics. I've never painted anything before so I'm amazed at how well this is coming along. Think I might remake the resin insert too to add some extra detail to it.

Love this saber!

View attachment 676314
View attachment 676315

Sorry for the poor pics, was very dark when I took them.

What kind of paint did you use to get the copper effect in the weathered areas?

Please post some painting tips. Are there any issues with painting metal?

The photos of the painted sabers look great!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

OK Pretty close to finished still need to add the Blue wires, I did get a cheap air brush to do the emitters. Never used an air brush before , totally understand getting a good one, because the cheap one was a pain, hardly no adjustments, Hope you guys like it.
AL
Ren Saber 1.jpgRen Saber 2.jpgRen Saber 3.jpgRen saber 4.jpgRen saber 5.jpgRen Saber 6.jpgRen Saber 7.jpgRen Saber 8.jpgRen Saber 9.jpgRen Saber 10.jpg

I definitely undersold myself on this run. The paint job is definitely going to be higher on the V2. Still deciding in the back of my brain if I'll be using a black/blue gun blueing paint.
Also considering actual copper plating too. Really all depends on how far down the rabbit hole everyone is willing to go.

I would be willing to go as far down the rabbit hole you are willing to take us GeneralFROSTY! You have my vote for copper plating.

What kind of paint did you use to get the copper effect in the weathered areas?

It's all enamel spray paint. I primed it, hit it with a few coats of metallic copper and then a few coats of matt black. I then rubbed down the areas I wanted with wire wool to expose the copper and bare metal. I weathered all the exposed metal with aluminium black, and then lightly polished the entire thing with some turtle wax to give it more of a satin look, sounds pointless but I think polishing the matt paint gives it more depth, it looks like its been buffed by being in someones hand and the deep areas that wouldn't come into contact with you are still slightly more dull.

It's all enamel spray paint. I primed it, hit it with a few coats of metallic copper and then a few coats of matt black. I then rubbed down the areas I wanted with wire wool to expose the copper and bare metal. I weathered all the exposed metal with aluminium black, and then lightly polished the entire thing with some turtle wax to give it more of a satin look, sounds pointless but I think polishing the matt paint gives it more depth, it looks like its been buffed by being in someones hand and the deep areas that wouldn't come into contact with you are still slightly more dull.
What kind of primer did you use? Does rubbing a little expose the copper and rubbing more expose the primer?

Was the aluminum black done after all the paint layers and rubbing?

What kind of primer did you use? Does rubbing a little expose the copper and rubbing more expose the primer?

Was the aluminum black done after all the paint layers and rubbing?

Just a grey enamel primer, same as the paint. Yeah, rubbing with wire wool exposes the copper, and if you keep going you'll go through to the primer. I tried to keep the primer coat as thin as possible though as I just wanted to go down to the metal. The copper coat was the thickest so that I wouldn't rub straight through it and then I just gave it good coverage with the black.

The aluminum black was done after the rubbing (doesn't effect the paint luckily)

I used it on all of the exposed metal to make it look more like steel rather than bright aluminum and then I polished over everything including the aluminum black.

I didn't realize there was THAT much of a size difference. Is the belt clip the same size between the two?

Yes, now that we know the prop shop and it's sizing, a lot is becoming clear.

The goal with V2 is to get a close as humanly possible to this one. It's a bit far fetched to think at this point that the actual prop was different vs the prop shop saber. some screen captures comparing Adam holding the film prop as well as the black series in his SNL skit you can see how far his hand wraps around them and it is a very similar coverage on the saber. Meaning the prop shop saber is accurately sized being slightly larger. The PS saber is bigger vs the BS saber, but the BS just looks bigger because of the scale of the parts to each other. The BS has the upper and lower sections a very similar diameter, plus that huge ring at the top. The PS/prop is much better proportioned, streamlined and shapely. So even though it's bigger it still looks awesome, and not just a fat sausage that the BS series is.

If you compare some of the sized of the grip itself from V1 CNC and the PS saber, the CNC V1 is very close to the same OD, and only needed a slight increase in length. The upper shroud of the CNCV1 needed to be increased in length and girth. This includes the side emitters as well. They are more to a 7/8th blade and not a 1 inch like the BS or a 3/4 like CNCv1.

A lot of things will change in the CNCV2, with the references we now have, it will be the ultimate representation, in a fully duelable and installable format that will never degrade or have problems with sun/weather. Weather will just make it look more authentic!

Here is a quick look at the V2 (on the right) compared to the V1.

As you all know the V1 was conceived way before the Propshop version came out. Now after reviewing the size differences we are making modificaitons accordingly.
We are also making Improvements all around to simplify assembly and increased accuracy. Still in the works but just wanted to show the size difference.

Gus is a wizard with this, you guys aren't going to believe the saber that comes out of the machines now that we know what we do.

I have been waiting for your replacement parts to arrive but haven't gotten anything yet.

I'm double checking the tracking every day.

So everyone else knows, Propfactory ordered 2 of these and one of them unfortunately had some problem with the machining quality and I wasn't going to ship it to them like that, I needed to get replacement parts from the machinist due to manufacturing defects.

My V1 is not yet shipped.
I can not wait to receive the product.

I finally got around to finishing mine. I used copper and black enamel paint, and used a toaster oven to bake each layer to make it dry faster, and adhere better.
IMG_2655_zpszi1u1wwu.jpg

I used toothpaste to mask off certain scratch marks, and after all of that painting was done, I did some extra weathering with some fine grit sand paper. I think it turned out pretty good.
IMG_2661_zpslpjd8zyg.jpg

IMG_2660_zpsm9gi6qtz.jpg

IMG_2659_zpszsgrpbpf.jpg

IMG_2658_zps6nzoonbj.jpg

IMG_2657_zpsyg7kxh2f.jpg

IMG_2656_zpskqqbztgh.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back