Clone Wars spin off “The Bad Batch” series discussion thread

Pretty interesting spoiler from a Toy leak
An upcoming Black Series figure has been revealed as: The Bad Batch Crosshair (Imperial).
This is in addition to the already announced, up for Pre-Order Crosshair Black Series figure.

The packaging description is "Formerly a member of The Bad Batch, Crosshair's loyalties shift after his team defects from Imperial Service. Committed to the Empire, Crosshair leads a new squad of enlisted recruits."

To be Fair, Republic Commando is pretty universally loved and admired and it features a Squad leader named "Boss," an Explosives expert named "Scorch," and a Tech guy named "Fixer." So, not all nicknames and Call-signs in the Grand Army of the Republic, and in real life, are nuanced and unique.

I so wish it was them instead of the Bad Batch characters. They're essentially the same, except the Bad Batch interpretations, and storylines, were childish. Republic Commandos were just much cooler and far less annoying. The show might have some cool stuff but they chose the worst possible characters for it.

Pity too. The Republic Commandos showed up once in the Clone Wars as a cameo and were never used again. Such a missed opportunity. But since it's the Clone Wars team making it at least we know it can't be as awful as Resistance was.

No, Fives went nuts in S6 after learning about the purpose of the inhibitor chips in the clone's brains. He was executed by Commander Fox after trapping Rex and Anakin in a ray shield, and rambling to them about the Order 66 conspiracy. In the series finale, we learn that Rex filed a report on the incident afterwards, and urged Ahsoka to look for it while he was fighting programing of the Order 66 protocol. This then prompted Ahsoka to capture Rex, and remove his inhibitor chip before escaping their Star Destroyer with all hands lost. I assume that we'll see in The Bad Batch series that Rex had since defected from the Imperial army rather than serve it, and is using the assumption that he was lost in the crash to fake his death.

In S7, during the Bad Batch arc, Rex and Clone Force 99 discovered that the Techno Union had recovered Echo's corpse from the battlefield at The Citadel Prison on Lola Sayu, and was being used by the Separatists to counter Republic battle maneuvers at the Battle of Anaxes. Anakin, Rex, and Clone Force 99 infiltrated a Techno Union controlled world to rescue Echo, who then joined Clone Force 99 at the end of the arc.

It just makes me think that Rex should have left his helmet there on a pike with all the others for Vader to find. It would have been really cool to see that, and add even more emotion to that scene. But unfortunately they couldn't since he kept the bucket and still had it in Rebels.

But hindsight's a wonderful thing and all that.

I enjoyed the first episode. I will say that if you were not a Clone Wars Fan, and if you did not like the Bad Batch in their 4 episode arc in Season 7, then I don't think anything in this first episode will change your mind or sway you. However, if you were a fan of the Clone Wars, this felt like a very seamless transition from Season 7's Siege of Mandalore/Victory and Death arc in terms of Animation Quality and Tone/Story telling. It was definitely a step up in terms of Tone and Story from the Bad Batch's Season 7 arc and light years beyond Ahsoka's "Walkabout" episodes.

I had my reservations about the character of Omega going in, fearing the some Scrappy Doo style character or an annoying know it all, smug, style character like CW season 1 Ahsoka, but was pleasantly surprised with how Omega was handled in this first episode. I usually dread and roll my eyes at Kid Sidekicks, but, it didn't bother me too much here. Of course, that can all easily change in future episodes, but, at least for me, Omega was not the worst or most distracting part of today's episode.

For me, the most distracting/negative thing was
falling into the now classic Star Wars "Small Universe" syndrome. They tie back in 3 returning characters in to the Bad Batch's story arc, Tarkin, Saw, and Kanan/Caleb. Tarkin and Saw work in their respective roles in the episode and fit the narrative. I can easily see Tarkin as the Cold, calculating Imperial bureaucrat being sent in to evaluate the Clones and determine their worth to the Empire going forward, and Saw is a character who was already present in the Clone Wars, but whose strong beliefs can easily set him up to be immediately at odds with the newly formed Empire, but whose past positive interaction with the Republic would cause confliction for Bad Batch in following Tarkin's orders to eliminate him.

However using Kanan and Master Depa Billaba as their Order 66 incident kind of took me out of it because it directly contradicted the events as depicted in the "Kanan: The Last Padawan" comic series. It changed the location (although the planet is supposedly the same one), the circumstances, the Clones who were present and their paint scheme, and of course introduced the Bad Batch as integral participants in the incident. I understand wanting to tie in a well known Jedi into the moment to give more emotional resonance with the audience, and have one that survives to set up the stakes and conflict between Crosshair and the Rest of the Squad, but I'm not sure which is the lesser of two evils, introducing yet another Jedi to survive Order 66 (if they couldn't think of somebody besides Kanan) or directly contradicting the previously established sequence of events just to get to reuse known characters.

They did the same thing with the Siege of Mandalore Arc as well where the "Ahsoka" novel clearly describes her fight and victory over Maul, and how she escapes Order 66 one way, only for the revival episodes of Season 7 to depict the events completely differently. As much as you saw Dave Filoni disagreeing with George about Retcons and Changes for Changes sake in some of those early Season 1 Clone Wars behind the scenes videos, he seems to have fully inherited that trait from George as he finds himself in the creative lead role.

At least they didn't have the Bad Batch recusing Grogu from the Temple like so many people and internet click bait articles were predicting.

Aftermath didn't do much for me but I wasn't a huge fan of the BB characters so wasn't expecting to be wowed, would've been nice though. As mentioned there's yet another completely unnecessary retcon which is a massive turn off. That scene could've easily been handled so many different ways that wouldn't have rewritten events. Glad some people really enjoyed it.

Last edited:
I watched it last night. Admittedly I also read the new Fantastic Four comic while I was watching it.

It didn’t blow me away, but I didn’t dislike it. It looks like it will be a series of “Clone Wars filler episodes”.

Not sure I’ll be there for the long run.

So, Omega is a clone? Did I understand that she’s the last of the clones, another from the “bad batch” and also somehow a girl?

Were they planning to introduce female clones into the mix for ‘natural’ replication?

So, Omega is a clone? Did I understand that she’s the last of the clones, another from the “bad batch” and also somehow a girl?

Were they planning to introduce female clones into the mix for ‘natural’ replication?
A lot of people online are misconstruing Omega's name to mean she is the Last of any/all of the Kaminoan produced Jango Clones (Even though in the episode you see several infants in their gestation pods still growing.) Rather, I thought the Dialogue from Tech made it clear that Omega is the fifth and last remaining clone from the program that aimed to create the "desirable genetic mutations" as seen in the "Bad Batch" members. Messing with the genetic code to try and produce beneficial mutations or aberrations explains the different sex while she is still technically a Jango Clone.

So she's "Omega" not because she's the last clone but the last product of the mutation program. As for what her beneficial mutation or aberration is/are, my money is on a combination of all the Bad Batch's traits (She did have great accuracy like Cross hair) or perhaps to try and produce a Force Sensitive clone, which would also explain her intuition and accuracy.

Oh yeah, baby clones. I did mention I was reading a comic book at the time.
Eh, don't feel too bad, like I said, it's not just you who had the thought that Omega was intended to be the last of the all Clones.
I've seen a bunch of Click Bait Articles on Facebook and in my Google News with headlines like "The Bad Batch Premiere reveals the Final Clone of Jango Fett!"

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back