Classic Viper Build-up -- FINISHED!

Re: Classic Viper Build-up -- FINISHED!

I know this thread is a little "stale" but, I'm not sure of a better thread to post this. I hope it is considered relevant to a SS Viper build.

Most people have already have built up their TOS SS Vipers and have moved on to other projects. just in case anyones interested here's some pics an info on some of the kit-bash parts to the Mk1 Colonial Viper
View attachment 5496

View attachment 5497

View attachment 5498

FYI: As most people know, the Italeri kits listed here were originally ESCI kits back in the late 1970s when ILM/Apogee was constructing the Viper Miniatures

It appears that T-34 exhaust parts had the curved exhaust pipe remove and replace with a straight piece of styrene rod

the Jagdtiger Engine deck was cut up and used in 4 different places on both sides of the Engine-portion of the fuselage. Plastruct I-beam sections were added to the details

Box-art Some of the Kits used:

View attachment 5499

Nice build! by the way,
keep up the good work!

And thanks so much to Jess, & Mike too - for making such quality kits.

To help folks like me to support our habit... err ...I mean hobby!

Hasegawa 1/72 Leopold Railway Gun
--part used for the "fluted" sections on the Afterburner Cans (2 each) 6 total

Here's another part that I finally found. For the longest while, I had thought it was one part, and nothing I could think of matched up save for a weird Italian tank that wasn't made in 72nd scale. It looks like a leaf spring, but not quite. I now think it was made from a couple of parts. This is part 48 (part of the hitch assembly) from the Airfix Scammel Tank Transporter. Since all I am doing is cleaning up a Jim Key kit and not replacing all the details, I can make the rest and it will be good enough for me.

The other photo in here is of the replacement Landing Gear cover I made. The kit part is from the end of one of the railway platform cars in either the Leopold or Thor kits.

The thing that is still bugging me is the grid pattern that is at the very back of the fuselage insert piece behind the laser cannons. I've ID'd the 8-rad parts and that stuff, but they are resting on what appears to be some sort of mesh. It's not from the main kits (Leopold, Thor, Phantom) used on the Viper. Any ideas? (David - I did look at the M-8 Carrier, but I don't think the pattern is right or deep enough.)

Gene

Whoo Hoo!

Nice job GKvfx!
I've been trying to identify that leaf-spring part for ages

At one point I even considered buying the Airfix Scammel Tank Transporter but after so many false leads, (I bought that weird Italian tank too , and a number other 1/72/& ho scale military trucks and vehicles)
I finally gave up.

Way to go! :)

Regarding that fuselage insert piece behind the laser cannons,

I agree there is some type of mesh or screen , but also, possibly some small scale (1/72) tank treads --I've come across some that bear a resemblance.

Is it possible that that may have been what they used?

Do you know the source kit for that part that resembles a twin 20mm Oirlekon AA gun in the fuselage inset?

It looks to be in about 1/100 scale. There are some ship models out there in that scale.
--sorry if I'm asking the obvious

Regarding that fuselage insert piece behind the laser cannons,

I agree there is some type of mesh or screen , but also, possibly some small scale (1/72) tank treads --I've come across some that bear a resemblance.

Is it possible that that may have been what they used?

That's an interesting theory. T-34's had a waffle style tread pattern - very distinctive. The only problem I can think if is the interlocking of the links. That produces a break in the grid pattern that would show up. But it's worth checking out when I get home.

As for the rest, it will be after the holidays before I get a chance to dig out what I have come up with. Too much other stuff going on with the holidays and work.

Gene

Greeblie Gremlin had an interesting idea with the tank tread. Though the T-34 tread is similar, it's not the same - there aren't any breaks that a series of links would have. Also, the tread isn't wide enough on the 1/72nd scale T-34 that is used on the engines (Esci/Italieri). For a lark, I tried using a King Tiger tread. It too is close, but not quite - but it is a wide enough to fill that trench. So, for my purposes (sharpening up the detail in a few areas) - I think it is good enough. When I get back to the project, I'll use that unless I figure out what the real stuff is.

Gene

Gary, this is from Mark Dickson. The mesh part ( tank tread ) you're looking for is from the ESCI 1/72 T-34 tank. The same one that gives you the exhaust pipes around the engines in the back. The little nub looking things. This kit is a donor to the Cylon Raider as well.

greeble_gremlin; Do you know the source kit for that part that resembles a twin 20mm Oirlekon AA gun in the fuselage inset? It looks to be in about 1/100 scale. There are some ship models out there in that scale. said:
Was there any word on this part???

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited:

GKvfx, that souds cool (using the King Tiger tread)
I may try that approach myself in leau of more concrete information. I was also considering creating some custom photo etched components for the "mesh" pattern and "sandwiching" them in layers to best match the look of the inset background.

Its not Canon but might look very nice & crisp.

No word on that part yet David

regarding:
"part that resembles a twin 20mm Oirlekon AA gun in the fuselage inset"

I'll try to post some pictures for clarity & FYI for anyone following this thread.

Oh yeah... Merry Christmas! everyone

Also, does anyone have a lead on the source these oval shapes?
Just after the intakes on the side of the engines.

They would not be hard to re-create but it's nice to now what was used in the first place.
"Jumpers" perhaps like those used on PCBs (though not as common in the late 70s)

Also, does anyone have a lead on the source these oval shapes?
Just after the intakes on the side of the engines.

They would not be hard to re-create but it's nice to now what was used in the first place.
"Jumpers" perhaps like those used on PCBs (though not as common in the late 70s)

They look like tank track link ties.

I registered a few days ago and am new to this forum, and would like to say hi to everyone! :cheers

Whilst toiling away on my Galactica, have researched the TOS Viper and will some day try to do Jesse's studio scale kit justice. A bit of building, dremeling and drilling has occurred, but I'm still hunting for info and parts, and waiting for the day when everything is there to begin the build.

Thank you, Greeble Gremlin and GKvfx, for your great informational pictures - these really help a lot! :cool I'll try to give some of what you have shared back.

Has anyone identified this part?

Yes, the part in question is a small anti-aircraft gun that comes from Lindberg's 'Blue Devil Destroyer' 1/125th scale kit. The first picture shows the box art and some of the sprues, but not all of them. (Take a look at some of the other pieces on the sprues, there are parts used for other BG ships there.) The second picture shows the anti-aircraft gun sitting on top of another that comes from Tamiya's 1/35th scale Sd.Kfz. 232 8-Rad. In the comparison you can see how much generational shrinkage is involved.

Greetings from the bavarian Alps,
Andrew

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back