Classic Viper Build-up -- FINISHED!

Glad it made it and glad you like it. As for weathering her, just go nuts. The originals were all dirtied up...the dirtier the better I say. :love

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ShockTrooper @ Mar 30 2007, 12:10 AM) [snapback]1451534[/snapback]</div>
Hi all.Where to find a studio scale viper and cylon models?

Thanks.
[/b]

Jesse may release the viper again this spring, you will need to ask him, as for the TOS SS cylon raider, i am working on restoring our masters for Version 2 coming soon :)
mike

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dilbertman @ Mar 30 2007, 05:03 PM) [snapback]1451960[/snapback]</div>
Please keep us updated on the the Raider.

Version 2? What's that?

Jim :confused
[/b]

Similar to what i did with the X wing Jesse and i are improving the kit with info that Mark D, Jesse, and myself have been tracking down for the last couple of years. Also i am going to reconfigure the pattern to make assembly easier for modelers.....
mike

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mslz22 @ Mar 31 2007, 09:38 AM) [snapback]1452309[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dilbertman @ Mar 30 2007, 05:03 PM) [snapback]1451960[/snapback]
Please keep us updated on the the Raider.

Version 2? What's that?

Jim :confused
[/b]

Similar to what i did with the X wing Jesse and i are improving the kit with info that Mark D, Jesse, and myself have been tracking down for the last couple of years. Also i am going to reconfigure the pattern to make assembly easier for modelers.....
mike
[/b][/quote]
Thanks, keeps us updated please.

Jim B)

Hey guys,

Anybody got any links to any of the pictures?

OR,

Where can I find a couple pictures of one from the show to use as reference to fix up mine?

Thank you guys. PM's if you'd like.

Rob.

Here you go Rob
Raider
cylon01-vi.jpg

cylon02-vi.jpg

cylon07-vi.jpg

Viper photos are in the next post

Last edited:
Re: Classic Viper Build-up -- FINISHED!

Thank you swhite228.

I realise I'm a little late to the game here, but....

Has anyone done any modifying of their TOS Colonial Viper?

I'm right in the middle of some heavy modifications to mine. For displaying, I didn't like the little nubs in the exhaust and I think it will look better with some extra engine detail. I'm adding that and opening up the intakes too. I plan to deepen the nose recess a bit also. There will also be an opening canopy with a little more detail added (rivets around the panels). I'm also gonna try and detail the cockpit instruments and maybe light a few?

Wasn't there a matching studio scale Cylon Raider available to go with the Viper? Is this still available?

Rob.

Last edited:

Hi Rob:booty Yes, that was the Raider I did on contract for Jim Key. Jesse, a member here, owns the patterns now BUT, He and MIke are re doing it. I wasn't able to ID all the parts at the time nor did I have the budget to buy the sphear that they used to make the base body. I had helped Jesse and Mike with this info and parts. The new one will be more accurate then the one I did. But I'm still involved so that's okay:)

Mark

Hey Mark,

Would you still have one laying around you're about to chunk out?

:angel

Rob.

Hey Mark,

Would you still have one laying around you're about to chunk out?

:angel

Rob.

I have the new raider body cut from the hemishere and will be getting to the finishing stages of the new kit in a month or two, i need to get caught up on some other stuff. I have talked with Steve N about getting a rotocast set up for the raider body, if i can get something worked out i may be able to rotocast the body and that would cut down on build up time for modelers and change the way i put together the body. One of the tough parts of the old kit was getting the top and bottom halves together, if i can cast it as one part it would be an easier kit to build...more to come

Mike

Thank you Mr. Mike,

Sounds like some good plans! Keep us updated and if I can help, just let me know.

Rob.

I've got one of those on my bench right now. It's from the Jim Key era. The biggest problem with any of the Viper replicas out there is that they will be smaller than the original, due to shrinkage and the number of times this thing has been molded and remolded over the years. The overall length of the replicas is about 7/8" shorter than the original. Actually, the whole thing is smaller in mass - not just length. Short of completely remastering it, not much you can do about it.

My next biggest complaint is that the engines aren't really round. Looks like they've been squished at some point and it has carried over. I thought about Dremel-ing out the centers and putting some brass tubing in there (the real thing had a brass tube for the lights and exhaust that stuck out slightly from the rest of the body), but I thought it would look wonky. I wound up cutting off the entire afterburner can section and am in the process of scratchbuilding the area. I deviated from the Leopold rail car part for the engine cans and used Evergreen sheet styrene beefed up with strip styrene. It matches up well with the parts that I replaced, even if it is a little bit smaller than the original kit parts they used. The triangle arrangement of the engines is not symmetrical and like I said before, the engines aren't perfectly round. This shows up when you create a base plate that is perfectly round and symmetrical and try and mate it to the body. I'll have to just place the engines in position relative the rest of the body and just live with it. The rear hatch cover has been remade, but again, it is a compromise as the kit parts are full size and the model is slightly smaller.

Some of the filming miniatures had their intakes hollowed out, others didn't. So, no matter what you do, I guess you are accurate.

You can also add a few little pieces here and there. The hero version (the one featured in the Klambach book and most of the publicity shots) has some little details on the sides of the nose that are different from the other ships.

The little detail pieces inset into the fuselage by the laser cannons could also use a rework (though maybe Jesse took care of that already?).

And the really bold could always do the landing gear version.

Gene

I have the new raider body cut from the hemishere and will be getting to the finishing stages of the new kit in a month or two

I also thought the thing was made out of section of large hemisphere. When Lorne was at one of our VES events a couple of years ago, I had my Jim Key/Mark Dickson Raider on display and he said that the main body was made by placing sheet acrylic in a holder with a large (18" or so) hole in it. It was placed in the heating portion of the vacform machine and heated up, but instead of vacforming it over a pattern, they just let the acyrlic sag till the shape "looked about right" (I love the precision of the 70's!). The heater was shut off and the thing cooled in that shallow saucer/semi bubble shape. They repeated the process for the bottom piece, but it looks like it was squared off as they progressed.

I was really impressed with kit Jim and Mark did, but I know others want to get their hands on it again. I think rotocasting would be a neat way to go. Good Luck.

Gene

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back