Clash of the Titans Remake... What do you think?

I seen this movie last night and really liked it..I will get more into it later as Im rushed right now... The main plot of the movie has changed, but alot of the core elements are still there... Oh and to answer everyones question about Bubo, yes he is in the movie!

Medusa and Charos looked amazing,but I still prefer the original Kraken and Calibos

i reeeeeeally liked this. The effects done with Hades were amazing, creepy, real and perfect as they should be. Really something I have never seen before, which was nice. Medusa was amazing as well, overall there were only a few little things that nagged me, but otherwise i was pleasantly surprised.

The effects didnt seem crammed down your throat for the sake of having them, they were all needed and important parts of what you were seeing, not mindless.

While I will freely admit CG gets overused a lot... when comparing these two... one works and one... just doesn't... at least to me.

I'll probably see it just because it looks like a fun film....with a film like that I'll have the same expectations I had about films like that when I was a kid...I just want to see the good guys fight the monsters. :)

I can't believe I am going to say this, but I just might check this one out. It's certainly a CG fest, but it looks like it might be a pretty good movie.

While I will freely admit CG gets overused a lot... when comparing these two... one works and one... just doesn't... at least to me.

Art - given your comment about CG getting overused, I am not sure which version of the Kraken actually works and which doesn't.

Are you saying the CG version is better?

Hector

To me, the CG seems more like a monster, where the model... I dunno... looks like Godzilla had sex with the creature from the black lagoon. It is cross eyed and just looks a little silly to me. Now, granted, when I was a kid, it was scary although Medusa was always the thing that freaked me out the most in the original. From just what we have seen in the trailer alone, the CG Kraken seems like the terrifying behemoth from the deep that one would expect, while the old Kraken almost seems like an oversized ugly merman.

Again, CG can be horribly overused, but I don't dislike it as a tool to really emphasize the enormity and grandeur of creatures like the Kraken.

In my mind, looking at the scale of the Kraken from the original movie, it seems defeatable by men... well... enough men. With the new one, it seems so ridiculously huge that the ONLY possible way of defeating it would be through some other means... something magic or supernatural, and isn't that the point of the story, that men cannot beat it, only Medusa's head?

To me, the CG seems more like a monster, where the model... I dunno... looks like Godzilla had sex with the creature from the black lagoon. It is cross eyed and just looks a little silly to me. Now, granted, when I was a kid, it was scary although Medusa was always the thing that freaked me out the most in the original. From just what we have seen in the trailer alone, the CG Kraken seems like the terrifying behemoth from the deep that one would expect, while the old Kraken almost seems like an oversized ugly merman.

Again, CG can be horribly overused, but I don't dislike it as a tool to really emphasize the enormity and grandeur of creatures like the Kraken.

In my mind, looking at the scale of the Kraken from the original movie, it seems defeatable by men... well... enough men. With the new one, it seems so ridiculously huge that the ONLY possible way of defeating it would be through some other means... something magic or supernatural, and isn't that the point of the story, that men cannot beat it, only Medusa's head?

I wish I had something more to add. This summed up my feelings exactly...well, almost. For whatever reason, as a kid, Calibos scared me more than Medusa. Go figure.

Actually, in the myth, THE KRAKEN IS BUSY IN FREAKING NORWAY WHERE HE COMES FROM.

Cetus is the monster that attacks Andromeda and is destroyed by Perseus, not the Kraken. But I guess the producers of the original film figured people wouldn't "get" the reference to a mythical sea monster named "Cetus", and would "get" Kraken more easily.

Not that I'm calling you out, Art -- this is a dig at the original producers. :)

P.S. I hear in the sequel, Perseus will fight the Quetzcoatl and the Midgard serpent.

Solo,

No offense taken. When it comes to the original myth, I know very little... although after looking up Cetus, he looks a lot more like the Kraken in the original than most ancient images of the Kraken.

Thanks for clarifying, Art.

When I was a kid, I agree, Medusa was the main event for me. Always has been and always will be, I think. An amazing sequence back then and I'm really looking forward to seeing the latest trek into the monster's lair.

Hector

Cetus is actually supposed to be a whale-like creature (which is where "cetacean" comes from), but I suppose as a generic sea monster, it's really anyone's guess. The Kraken is more accurately depicted in PotC, but it's still a Norwegian sea monster.

At any rate, even when I was younger, the whole "kraken" thing bothered me, but then I used to read kids' versions of the Greek myths when I was little.

Just got back from seeing it (2D version). Maybe it's just me but I sat looking at my watch the whole time. I was bored through most of it.
The whole look was to "Lord of the Rings" for me.

Way, WAY to much CGI. The Kraken scenes were the best things in
the film.

The Scorpion scenes felt like they were shot by Michael Bay. So
close and fast, it was hard to tell who the @#$% was who.

I left with a head ache and am now $11.00 shorter in the wallet. I
can say that this is one I can skip on Netflix now. LOL.

At least most of the coming attractions looked good. :love

I'm seeing it tomorrow in 3D. The one thing that scares me is that it was shot 2D but made 3D in post. Ugh.

I'll post afterward.

ive heard nothing but bad things about the 3D to be honest....

everyone says that its pretty obvious they rushed out the 3D .....and that its sub par.....

Saw it last night. It's not great, it's not awful, it's "meh".

Most of the movie is made up of "going" someplace..and "talking" about things that have happened or will happen...not much really going on.

I like the cast. They don't get to do anything, but I like them.

You don't care about anybody, or anything that's going on:
Argos is threatened with destruction, but you get no feeling for why it should be saved. It's just supposed to.

Andromeda is the chosen sacrifice in lieu of said destruction...but so what if she dies? She's a non-character in the movie.

The Kraken is humongous, and there's a big deal made of it...even the gods fear it....but it shows up and moves its tenticles tumberingly and roars, and nothing else. This thing defeated the titans? Whom came before the gods? Which also brings up a good point....there are no "TITANS" in the film...just gods (of whom you don't see much of), men, and creatures. So there is very little clashing, and no titans to speak of other than what is uttered in the beginning monologue (of which there are many).

....I like the cast though.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back