Chrometrooper Chrome Trooper build.

Alclad makes a water based clear coat which will help protect it and not dull it. I've been trying to work with Alclad for a few weeks now and have had some mixed successes. But yeah, as an option it wouldn't be great for a costuming helmet because the paint will get scratched pretty easily. Your best bet for a costuming piece would be vacuum plating to keep it light and cheaper.

I just realized........ This was a 2 week build. :)

I've been told if you ever want to make in the prop building field it's not only about the quality but the time as well. So I've been trying to improve on each of these aspects. I'd love to some day be able to call this my job not just something I do on the side in the garage at night after work & family time. I have a long ways to go, but who knows maybe some day..............

Man, I know that feeling. Most of my projects take place on the weekends. Week nights are spent with the wife after work, but weekends she works, so I use that time to get my projects done.

Starrfox - Thanks for the heads up. I think out of courtesy they should gave me some credit or at least said "some Fan from the RPF"

I'm OK with it.
Thanks Jim McCrea

Amazing work with the helmet Jim. You're definitely not just 'some fan' - you have real skills.

Are you going to release the CAD file for the helmet??

If so 'I'd love a copy.

There is a lot of detail on the back of your helmet that I have not seen in any photos. Are these based on reference material or did you have to take some creative license in the areas that we have yet to see? Either way, looks fantastic!

For the base coat under the chrome, assuming the entire set of armor, would a black or white gloss be better? The reflections make the suit pretty hard to read. The arms specifically look more like they have an aluminum/light chrome color and the ab plate definitely looks like it's more of a nickel. All things considered, I guess for the end game, the shade of chrome won't be the most important, just the finish and overall appearance.

Last edited:
The details on the back of the helmet were strictly created on my end using artistic freedom. There were no images available at the time of this build of the back so I we had to use our best judgment based on what they did with the EP7 trooper helmets. I expect that there could be differences in the on screen version vs mine, & I'm OK with that.

The chrome paint is airbrushed down over a high gloss black spray paint over primer. The chrome is applied in 4 or 6 light coats.

I've seen that another builder out of the Philippines just released a " Capt Phasma" kits for sale & they seemed very expensive & the quality may be questionable. If you find yourself really needing a copy & don't want to pay the incredibly high price for theirs, email me & maybe we can work something out. I'm not announcing that I'm selling any copy's but when I can I don't mind helping another builder with a project. Thanks Jim reeltrbl117@aol.com

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back