chocolate frog boxes!

Re: chocolate frog foil help

Hey, Just came across this post and got all excited because foil has been a big search for me too. The site mentioned has the text below on their website now so it looks like their policies may have been updated since this post was begun. Although I haven't enquired about shipping costs yet [cue dramatic music whilst I do that part]. I realise I'm behind in terms of the dates of the original post but just in case someone else comes looking I though I'd add this info just in case. :)

Oh...and giant thank you to ecl. I cannot count how many darn searches I've done for this stuff! Thank you for posting that link, I'm just grateful it's still active.

[h=3]3. Worldwide shipping[/h]Worldwide deliveries are always shipped on the basis of a quoted price regardless of transport means. We will reply to a worldwide delivery request with a separate email informing you of the actual forwarding costs. In addition to shipping costs, customs duties as well as a respective country’s import turnover tax may also be due. We are not able to provide you with any general information about the extent of these costs. Deliveries outside of the EU are invoiced at net prices.

ah interesting!! Will have to revisit this. This foil has been the hardest thing to get lol. Please post an update when you hear back from them!

Foil be on the way shortly to ecl when it arrives to me :)

Looking forward to seeing finished product.

Yes! I'll be trying to put together a few variations of the chocolate frog box, with scans I got from the Page to Screen book. I'm also going to try and do a sorcerer's stone version; that one has no gold foil on the front, and has a more vibrant blue color.

hello Potterheads :)

I have to recreate the Chocolate Frog box, I have to buy of the golden and studed aluminum foil, to stick and to assemble the various parts of the box.
The result is not completed but I am satisfied for it first one tries :) Your notices?

tyyh.jpgjjjf.jpggthjjhjh.png

DAILYPotter.

gthjjhjh.png

jjjf.jpg

tyyh.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Wow that's fantastic! Where did you find the artwork for the chocolate frog card?

Thanks ecl :) I have took a scan of the card of Dumbledore which we find in the box of Ron's artefact from Noblecollection, which I have to modify with Photoshop so that Dumbledore of the card seems to have left making a go for aride, not to stay all day long on the card.

dhss.png And here are other cards which I have to recreate. I have to add a section of fantastic beats

dhss.png

Wow neat! fantastic job; your chocolate frog box looks very authentic indeed.

DailyPotter, I forgot to ask , what type of paper/cardstock did you use on your replica? The thickness looks pretty good. Some cardstock a here seem too thick.

ecl, I have to print all the parts of the box on some white, basic paper A4. I have to cut/to stick on some fine box (box of box of cornflakes, rice etc.) I then went back texts with the gold paint, then I have to stick the alluminium golden studed paper, then to assemble the box. I have to use a golden thread for the small tie of the top. It stays the first one tries, there will be some little gifts improved afterward. I plan to sculpture frogs in fimo dough :)

While I'm waiting for more of the star foil to arrive, I've been finishing up some new prints for the chocolate frog boxes, in both the large and standard smaller sizes! After some practice, I've been able to get the foil looking really nice!

Some previews below:

4Dtm1ZO.jpg

Fno5Bqt.jpg

Thanks everyone! This has been my favorite prop, so once I saw the scannable image in the making of book (graphics), I had to give it a try. As for the back artwork, I have a very accurate one drawn by a friend here (looks nearly identical to the original references), which I'm using for now until I someday find a scan of the screen one. Due to this I won't be able to do a run of these. However I'm planning on making a bunch for my display! I might even make some kind of store display to put these in.

DAILYPotter, great work! I especially love seeing this prop with the gold string attached like in the Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone. I'm not sure if you've already seen these or not, but if you're going to make the frog out of clay then THIS and THIS are some pretty helpful tutorials I've seen and plan to try myself, whenever I get around to making a chocolate frog box for myself.

ECL, I love that collection image! And is that the head of the Grand Nagus' staff with a wire hanging out in the background of the first image?
I'm curious, are you using the same kind of foil technique on the chocolate frog boxes that you did with the Advanced Potion Making covers?
Also, and I swear this is my last question, would you ever consider putting out a step-by-step collection of images or a video of you using that foil to detail a frog box or a book cover? I read what you wrote about how you do it, but I guess I may just be more of a visual person because I got a little confused reading it. Tried searching online, but I couldn't find any tutorials for the kind of detailing you do.

Last edited:
Hey a438980, thanks for the comment! That is indeed the head of a Grand Nagus staff, but the wire is just the charger for my laptop haha! I collect Trek props too and love the Ferengi stuff, as well as the TOS props. Found the Ferengi head on eBay; supposedly cast from a mold taken from an original piece. Kind of an oddball piece, but it looks cool next to the latinum :D

And yes, I do use the same foiling technique on the chocolate frog boxes as the Potion books! At this point, it's the best way for me to do it. I know the production used some kind of technique where they somehow get the foil parts printed separately on a foil that can be dry burnished onto the surface. I wish I know what this is called, but it looks ideal. However I imagine it would be expensive to have it done that way.

ECL, I wouldn't call it oddball but I am surprised you don't have it mounted to the end of an old branch or something. I'm a trekkie, so my collection also contains a few of those kinds of items from the TNG, although all I have at the moment is a couple of old Playmates items (science tricorder and phaser), a comm badge pin, a bat'leth letter opener, and a version of the folding side blades klingon knife that united cutlery used to make.

At this point I'm just looking for the easiest and least expensive foiling technique, although I might look into the dry burnishing method somewhere down the line.

that would be really great to have the rest of the staff completed. I think it would be cool if it was actual wood too, despite that being less accurate (but more ideal and realistic). Right now I don't have a proper place to display my stuff, so it's a disembodied head on my desk haha.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back