Chewbacca Bowcaster Finished

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

wuher da brewer

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I started working on Chewbacca's bowcaster well over a year ago. I was following Macklin's Bowcaster Parts thread http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=872 with great anticipation. It and GotWookiee's Chewbacca Costuming Resource gave me the enthusiasm I needed to keep going. Thanks also to members Rebelscum, kurtyboy, and Odiwan72.

Here is what I started with. I upgraded the racquetballs and the resin scope later.

This is after some initial material removal. Much to do still.

This picture shows more of the parts I've collected and some of what has been upgraded.

Here is a pic with scopes attached. I filed the inner scope rings on each side and underneath to accommodate the outer scope rings. I also filed down the mounts on the bow to better fit the 3/8" rings.

Getting a feel for the side plates...

Here are pictures with the side plate painted.

This shows the rear barrel mount I built up. I still need to drill it for rivets and paint it.

The D-rings and the strap have been stapled on.

Some paint applied and wires affixed. The barrel is firmly in place and front mount is installed. The barrel, rivets, and a couple screws need painting.

Finally, some finished shots.

Last edited:

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Funky

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Re: Bowcaster in Progress

Evan, you ARE the man! You've probably got the closet sceen accurate bowcaster to date. :thumbsup

obiwan2

Sr Member

I always loved the bowcaster but just don't see enough replicas being made. Looks awesome!!! :thumbsup

wuher da brewer

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well, too many things kept me from completing this tonight. I'm very close though.

Last edited:

wuher da brewer

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've got some pink high bounce balls. I put them on this morning. Though they're not on very well yet. Once I finish it, I'll strip it down and clean it up. I'm showing it at the prop party today. Even though its not finished yet, its still the coolest thing I've got that people haven't seen yet. I'm riding to the party now.

Gigatron

Sr Member

To secure the balls, fill them with a little bit of expanding foam. Slip them on the end of the bow while the foam is still exapnding so you won't have to try and cut into it later.

I really need to redo the knobs on my bowcaster - it's the only part I'm not really happy with. I built it before the discovery of the guitar and amp knobs. Just another project I'll get around to, someday.

-Fred

kodofett

Are you making any to sell? I have the belt. So I want to see if I can get one of these.

TridCloudwalker

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've got some pink high bounce balls. I put them on this morning. Though they're not on very well yet.
I'd recommend plastic primer, then self etching primer, then many coats of your primary color. That type of rubber REALLY doesn't like taking paint.

Can't wait to see it all finished.

wuher da brewer

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm almost finished. I just have to figure out how to go about making the front sight and finish the barrel.

wuher da brewer

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The blue uprights on the front sight in this mock-up Macklin made are the only things I have to do now. The barrel and rivets got a light application of AB in lieu of paint.