Cheap Feet

BigEvil

Here's a way to do 'em cheap and quick.

I start with a pair of slip on boots that fit me (or whomever you're building for) and get a set of "Zombie" monster hands. I sourced the set I used at Target during the Halloween season for 6 bucks, the boots I've had forever and wear about once every 4-5 years......so, time to re-purpose them.

First I cut the thumb off the hands keeping the cut smooth and symmetrical so that it can be re-attached to the boot later on. Then I test fit the remaining part of the hand onto the top of the boot and mark under the finger tips where the "toes" (fingertips) will overhang the end of the boot. Just like with the cheap hands I cut out the fingers and keep the ends smooth to minimize the risk of tearing later on (u-grooves not angles). Then to hold the shape of the toes and spread out the hands I cut and stuff craft foam (multiple layers as needed) into them. I then trim off any excess underneath where the fingers attach to the hands and go to town with the glue gun, making sure to glue all the layers of foam to the hands as well as any other layers to make sure it all stays together. Also at this point the fingers need to be glued to each other to form a foot top. Using goop and hot glue to hold in place while the goop sets up, I position the foot top on the boot and glue it down. Next is the former thumb. Also stuffed with foam to hold its shape, it is trimmed and glued in place with goop and hot glue to hold it's position while the goop sets up. As with the hands some latexing will be required to finish them up along with some accent pieces. The tops of the boots will be lined with velcro for the attachment of the lower leg armor (which will also velcro at the top to the legs making the appearance of one continuous piece but allow for easy movement and the ability to take off parts instead of the entire thing). These boots also give me 2 inches of lift.

Hope this is helpful

1start_vsm.jpg

2cut_pieces_vsm.jpg

3test_fit_vsm.jpg

4insets_vsm.jpg

5_1_foot_vsm.jpg

6Feet_vsm.jpg

Another way if I might share, buy a pair of deck shoes that you can easily slip on and off, stuff the shoe with newspaper, cover the outer part of the shoe with Great Stuff spray foam, then take a exacto knife and carve the shape of the Predator foot out of the foam then brush a few layers of liquid latex on it, and paint. I'm getting ready to start a huntorial for it.

Another way if I might share, buy a pair of deck shoes that you can easily slip on and off, stuff the shoe with newspaper, cover the outer part of the shoe with Great Stuff spray foam, then take a exacto knife and carve the shape of the Predator foot out of the foam then brush a few layers of liquid latex on it, and paint. I'm getting ready to start a huntorial for it.

Sounds cool, I look forward to seeing it

This is what this forum is all about! Show off your skill and inventness. Dude this is one of the best "cheap" builds I seen in a while! Great job on the feet! It looks really good!

Continuing with the feet.

I took a piece of craft foam and made a template for the toe dusters. It is approx 2.5 inches wide, square on one end and at a slight angle on the other. When I was happy with the fit, I transferred it onto plastic (once again a homer bucket). I only made one template and just flipped it to make the opposite piece. I cut the parts out, heated the bend location with my heat gun and used some 2 inch wide masking tape to hold the bend. This time of year in most places you can just leave them outside for a while, if you're in a warmer climate put them in the fridge for a few hours. They're held on with tape for fitment purposes in the shot (obviously there's some painting that still needs to happen), the duster spikes are made from some flat sign plastic and glued in place with goop. They are small and triangular to match with other features on the armor as well as minimize the inevitable damage that will happen through normal costume use.

toe_dusters_vsm.jpg

Haven't posted much lately as I've been working like crazy at both a new job and trying to get ready for a run at the Phoenix Comicon. I made it........barely. Here's the finish up on the cheap feet build. After all of the above steps, I latexed the boot, painted it using an airbrush, and then affixed the toe dusters.

hl_feet_latexed.jpg

hl_feet_painted.jpg

hl_boots_finished.jpg

this idea is great. nice work. :)

Would you be able to do this with any size boot because i have a really big foot. I wear a size 14 mens shoe, and im worried that I wont be able to find a zombie or creature glove big enough to cover my whole foot.
Other than that this idea is great.

this idea is great. nice work. :)

Would you be able to do this with any size boot because i have a really big foot. I wear a size 14 mens shoe, and im worried that I wont be able to find a zombie or creature glove big enough to cover my whole foot.
Other than that this idea is great.

I'm 6'9" and those are built on my size 15 boots. So yes, it will work for you just right :). Those hands I got at Target during the Halloween season which is coming around again very soon.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back