Celebrity jerks?

It's your JOB to behave in a professional manner while at work, yet there are days where everyday people are just in a foul mood and go off.

Apply that to celebrities, who not only lead naturally stressful lives (flying all over the place, auditions, long work hours, etc) but are also under near-constant scrutiny and observation (the papparazzi are everywhere and constantly harass them), and it's honestly a miracle that celebrities don't snap more often.

Not to mention fans constantly hounding them for autographs at the worst possible time. People can be extremely rude. It amazes me how many "fans" think an actor or whoever "owes" them an autograph. If someone is out with their family eating, it is not cool to hound them for an autograph. And yea, it's just 1, but now you've got other's looking on thinking "oh, it's ok". They'd never get anywhere if they didn't say no.
The constant disrespect and attitude they probably garner wears thin after awhile. Then you have the average fan that wants to ask the same stupid questions over and over again. I can't imagine having to deal with that madness.
And It's not comfortable or even pleasant to sit and sign autographs for hours either. Add to it that it's an uncomfortable scenario when a stranger approaches you. Some worship you and treat you like a God, others are just out to get an autograph to sell. It's hard to gauge and it's not a comfortable feeling sometimes. Sometimes you can have an enjoyable conversation with someone you don't know. Other times, it can be a nuisance. Actors and celebrities are no different.
Then I think of scenarios such as the one where Hugh Laurie was on the Actors Studio. Normally the students asked the guest actor questions to help them out with their acting careers. As it is an acting school. On this particular one though, it was as if they had let his fan club in. No acting questions and they all kept talking to him like he was his character on House. Time and time again Laurie had to state "well, the writers make those choices, and I'm not really a Dr, it's just a TV show". Next idiot stands up to ask him almost an identical question. People just don't understand and are too wrapped up in their own needs to consider anyone elses. We prop celebrities up on pedestals then rip them if they won't cater to our every whim.

Yeah, I've had two celebrity counters where I thought it was better to leave well enough alone.

I used to work at a mall in San Rafael, CA. On one occasion on my lunch break, I stroll into the food court, and who is sitting there? George Lucas, eating lunch with his kid. This was after Ep. 1 too. As much as I wanted to rush the guy, I knew that was a totally inappropriate time.

On a different day, Dana Carvey came into my store with his kids to browse. I nodded at him and greeted him with the usual customer service pleasantries, but no more than that. The guy was out with his kids and I can't bug him for an autograph, or ask him to to his George Bush impersonation, just didn't feel right.

Not to mention fans constantly hounding them for autographs at the worst possible time. People can be extremely rude. ...

I can see that. I can't stand strangers coming up to me in the mall to try to sell me some stupid product or have me sign a BS petition.
Granted it would be different when its because you're recognized for your accomplishments.
I think I'd enjoy making people happy by shaking their hand and signing something but I can also see how it could easily get out of control. One person comes up and asks and before you know it the entire restaurant is taking turns coming to your table.
For that reason I can almost see how they could want what some people call "special treatment" where in reality it's doing as much for them as it is for the establishment. I doubt a restraint owner wants people mobbing around a table getting in the way of the wait staff not to mention it means they're not eating and leaving for get more people in.

I do think its kind of crappy when celebrities go to conventions and get an attitude though. In those cases you're going to the people that essentially made you the icon you are... the fans. Without them an actor will dry up and whither away (or end up on a VH1 reality show). Like someone else said... embrace it. Be glad someone gives a crap who you are and what you did. It's a rare thing today to be recognized and loved for what you do.

I do think its kind of crappy when celebrities go to conventions and get an attitude though. In those cases you're going to the people that essentially made you the icon you are... the fans. Without them an actor will dry up and whither away (or end up on a VH1 reality show). Like someone else said... embrace it. Be glad someone gives a crap who you are and what you did. It's a rare thing today to be recognized and loved for what you do.
Agreed. They should have their game face on for conventions and such. They did agree to make the appearance. :cool

I appreciate reading everyone’s stories and experiences. I never seem to make it to the Comic Cons, so I have to live vicariously through the rest of you. I do have one experience to share; however, in this case, he was far from being a jerk.
I have held onto this story for over twenty years, waiting for the opportune moment.
Perhaps this is it.

Somewhere around 1989 I was working a multi-task job for Mono County at the Mammoth June Lakes Airport, located just South of Mammoth Lakes California.
I was Fire Rescue, snow removal, plane de-icer, plane fueler, and bag tosser depending on the need.

On one afternoon a charter plane arrived at the Alpha Air terminal. It was occupied by Arnold Schwarzenegger and his entourage
(His wife, Maria Shriver was not in attendance). He had come to Mammoth for a ski weekend, smoking his cigars and looking like
he just walked off the screen.
I was also working at the end of his stay. It was late in the evening and he was in the terminal waiting for the plane to
be prepped for their departure. I was there in the terminal with Arnold, his entourage and his pilot as we all overheard the conversation
of a little elderly woman was having with the Alpha Air counter person. He was explaining to the lady that she had missed
the only flight out of Mammoth for that night. I remember her almost in tears saying, "How am I going to get back?"
The counter person said, 'I'm sorry mam, there's absolutely nothing that I can do for you'.

It was then I heard Arnold Schwarzenegger say, "She can fly to LA with us".
Arnold’s pilot spoke up and said, "No. I'm sorry, but we're maxed out on weight limit."
Arnold then said, "Well just take our stuff off the plane and put hers on. She can fly down with us
and you can have our stuff sent down tomorrow."
And that's how it went down.

I was there. I saw it. And that's how it happened.
He did the right thing when no one was looking. No one would ever know. Until now.
To me, that's a real hero.

I missed Comicpalooza this year and had to hear about it after the fact, but I think our con's been pretty good for having nice celebrities and genuinely heartwarming moments. But this was the first time both of those categories intercepted. So glad it's getting mentioned. I like it when celebrities put their money where their mouth is and try to do good in the world.

It was then I heard Arnold Schwarzenegger say, "She can fly to LA with us".
Arnold’s pilot spoke up and said, "No. I'm sorry, but we're maxed out on weight limit."
Arnold then said, "Well just take our stuff off the plane and put hers on. She can fly down with us
and you can have our stuff sent down tomorrow."

100% class act move.
I'd have preferred he said "Then leave one of these parasitic entourage people here for the night..." but that's about as good. ;)

i justed pictured arnold yelling " do it!..do it now!" to his pilot. Thanks for sharing your story

lol

"ged to dee plaaaaaane!!!!"

16228043.jpg

Jim Carry - (long ago during The Mask) was incredibly cool! He's always on and loved making fun of the groupies who were throwing themselves at him.

Tom Hanks - Awesome. As nice as you'd hope he'd be.

Jessica Alba - She had three stalkers at the time but was incredibly nice - I was at Digital Domain and when she got there she hadn't had lunch - she had our PA run out and buy food for everyone to eat before her screen test.

The Rock- He's like one of your guy buddies who drops the whole PC thing when he gets to know you. We're still friends and when I see him he always makes fun of whatever I'm wearing. He called me when MJ died and told me - I bet you'll be at the estate sale buying up sequined underwear.

Gene Wilder - my favorite - not only nice but open to tell all the dirty stories that happened to him and Richard Pryor.

Burt Reyonlds - love him but he comes from a different time when men were men. He'll slap you playfully and talked about how many women he was getting in the Smokey and the Bandit years.

Dom Delouise - a joy to be with and its sad how Hollywood forgot him - he had so much to offer

Hugh Jackman - met him on Swordfish - very nice and loves to crack jokes quietly about his co-stars

Kurt Russel - cool - but has no time for you if you don't see things his way

The Rock- He's like one of your guy buddies who drops the whole PC thing when he gets to know you. We're still friends and when I see him he always makes fun of whatever I'm wearing. He called me when MJ died and told me - I bet you'll be at the estate sale buying up sequined underwear.

Thats freakin hilarious. The Rock just keeps getting awesome every time I hear about him.

To add to the good guys list, I met Colin Baker and Anthony Montgomery this weekend at Denver Comic Con. They were both extraordinarily nice guys. I told Colin that he was one of my first Doctors, and he reached out to shake my hand. Since he had no line, we were able to stand and talk for quite awhile. Anthony was mostly interested in pushing his graphic novel, but was really appreciative of us being fans, and was incredibly personable. He handeled my wife's fan-girling like a pro! :lol

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back